sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 16, 2021 10:25 am  #1

I tried forever to download an avatar  the last couple of days.  Just wouldn't work.  I was able to do it at one time when they had Tiny url.  Oh well.

Last edited by John D (March 16, 2021 10:26 am)

March 16, 2021 11:23 am  #2

Re: Avatar

There is a way to fix this, although it's a bit confusing in spots. I'm presuming the avatar you want is already on your computer. 

1) Go to the "My Options" tab on the top of the SOWNY site page. 

2) On the menu to the left, find "Avatar & Signature."

3) You'll next see an option add, change or delete an avatar. Pick add or change.

4) You'll be presented with a range of Boardhost icons, that are pretty much useless. Now here's where it gets a bit tricky. Go to the https://imgbb.com/ site, used to upload .jpgs and .gifs to the web. Find the pic you want to use on your computer and click on it. Click the big blue "Start Uploading" button on the imgbb site, making sure "Don't delete" is chosen in the box above it. 

5) Once the upload is done, you'll see a box that says "Embed Codes." Choose BBCode full linked. In the box below, you'll see a bunch of code that starts with "url" and ends with "/url." Copy it and then paste it into the box on the SOWNY site that says "Avatar URL."

6) Get rid of everything until it starts with http: (or https) and ends with ".jpg." 

7) Hit "update" at the bottom of the SOWNY page. 

8) Go to one of your posts and it should be there. 

I know that's a bit complicated but if you follow all those steps, it should work. I just replaced mine and then put it back to test it, and it worked perfectly. Let me know if you have any issues and I'll see what I can do from here.    

March 16, 2021 10:35 pm  #3

Cool.  Now all you guys, get off of my lawn! : ))

March 17, 2021 7:28 am  #4

g121 wrote:

Cool.  Now all you guys, get off of my lawn! : ))

May I stand on the curb and admire your lovely lawn? I'm trying to upload a photo from my computer. I've managed to resize it to 128 x 128, but can't figure where URL would be on the photo. Likely there isn't one. But how would I get the photo to be my avatar? Yes you may refer to me as Liam the Luddite.Any help would be appreciated.

March 17, 2021 9:55 am  #5

Hi Norman:

At the top of the site there's a tab called "Inbox"." It should have a (1) on it, indicating I sent you an off-board message that will help you get this done. Click on it and you can read the note. I regret that the process seems so complicated, but it's a Boardhost thing and I'm more than willing to help any "Liam The Luddite" with it! Hope to hear back from you soon. 

RA

March 17, 2021 10:30 am  #6

Thank you RA. The last time I felt anywhere near competent on a computer was around the time Windows 95 came out. The wife and I were so thrilled to upgrade our computer from a 386 sx to a 486 dx. I'll give it a try today. After I've read your directions a number of times. Or until I get it right, whichever comes first.

March 17, 2021 12:13 pm  #7

@Norman peters .. 

*chuckles* honest to god .. my 1st thought .. that guy's rocking his inner BTO look !

glad you took care of business & got your avatar posted : ))