sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 15, 2021 5:36 pm  #1

Moses Znaimer & His Amazing TV Collection

March 15, 2021 8:39 pm  #2

Re: Moses Znaimer & His Amazing TV Collection

I miss the old-style TVs. My grandparents bought a colour TV in the early 60s when WTOM started broadcasting as an NBC affiliate in Michigan’s UP, a few years before Canadian stations and CBS were broadcasting colour. That TV was VHF-only but it was a beautiful, elegant wooden piece of furniture.

March 15, 2021 9:11 pm  #3

MJ Vancouver wrote:

I miss the old-style TVs. My grandparents bought a colour TV in the early 60s when WTOM started broadcasting as an NBC affiliate in Michigan’s UP, a few years before Canadian stations and CBS were broadcasting colour. That TV was VHF-only but it was a beautiful, elegant wooden piece of furniture.

The worst part of those old TVs had to be trying to adjust the colour. You could never quite get it right. I remember the "tint" control was especially irksome. It was either too red, too green or just not right on flesh tones somehow. As a result, no one ever looked normal when a show was in colour. 

And being the neurotic I am, I could never quite leave it alone, even when I got it right. It seemed to me you could always do it just a little better if you played around with it. In the end, I sometimes spent more time adjusting the set than watching it!   

March 15, 2021 9:24 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

MJ Vancouver wrote:

The worst part of those old TVs had to be trying to adjust the colour. You could never quite get it right. I remember the "tint" control was especially irksome. It was either too red, too green or just not right on flesh tones somehow. As a result, no one ever looked normal when a show was in colour. 

And being the neurotic I am, I could never quite leave it alone, even when I got it right. It seemed to me you could always do it just a little better if you played around with it. In the end, I sometimes spent more time adjusting the set than watching it!   

I remember that. We had a modern TV in the late 80s but both of my grandparents had old TVs with knobs, and the tint was always just a bit off.

Both of them had outdoor antennas and pulled in very few stations, while we had full cable.