sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 15, 2021 7:37 am  #1

Rogers Makes Billion Dollar Bid To Buy Shaw

Two telecommunications giants will combine into one if the CRTC approves a $26 billion deal for Rogers to buy the western phone giant Shaw.

The press release on this proposed deal actually made me laugh out loud, with Rogers boasting it will 'increase competition in the sector.' How, exactly, does changing two companies into one - especially one known for its existing greed-monging - increase competition and help consumers? Rogers also promises there will be no price increases for the first three years.

What it doesn't say is what might happen after that, but I'm sure you can guess.

Will the feds approve the deal? That's the biggest question because the resulting monster company might just be too big - as if Rogers isn't already there.

Rogers and Shaw to come together in $26 billion transaction    

March 15, 2021 8:09 am  #2

Re: Rogers Makes Billion Dollar Bid To Buy Shaw

As I was listening John Moore mention this on his show,  I was reading a CBC Go Public story about Rogers billing a woman in her 90 s several hundred dollars for not returning her equipment that gave her full access to a sizable package with  many premium channels. Her dementia was progressing to the point where all she needed was the basic cable, as she only watched  several channels that were all in the basic package. She couldn't return the equipment due to the pandemic, and Rogers didn't keep their appointment to pick up the equipment that gave her full access.Now they want to improve their service by reducing the competition?

March 15, 2021 8:44 am  #3

"Increase competition."

If anyone believes that, then I have a bridge you might be interested in.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

March 15, 2021 8:44 am  #4

If there ever was a case for government regulation, this is it...if this passes Rogers and Bell will be servicing the telecommunications needs of 90+% of Canadians in some fashion...CRTC should squash this in a 15 minute conference call...didn't the feds restrict bank mergers in the 90's for this very reason?...decreased competition and monopolization...

March 15, 2021 9:05 am  #5

Here's the salient part of the press release. You have to admire the spin:

"...the combined company will invest $2.5 billion in 5G networks over the next five years across Western Canada, which will enhance competitiveness, offer consumers and businesses more choice and improved services, help close the digital divide between urban and rural communities, and deliver significant long-term benefits for businesses and consumers."

How, exactly, do you "enhance competitiveness" when you're taking away another option for customers? I also note they're offering government regulators a political feel good scenario, by creating "Indigenous-owned and operated Internet Service Providers."

Yes, I'm cynical and as many here know, I'm no fan of Rogers, but I'm pretty sure they put that in just to be able to make it more palatable to an already left leaning CRTC.

And as for promises of creating thousands of jobs, when in the history of the world did a merger between two companies ever result in MORE jobs and not less? I'm betting those who've worked for the Big Two have lots of stories about how their jobs disappeared when either Bell or Rogers took over their businesses or radio stations.

And finally, that promise of not raising prices for three years? It's just for existing Shaw Freedom Mobile customers, so don't think your bill won't skyrocket here to help pay for the cost of this combustible combination.

God help the people out west - and everywhere else - if this goes through. There's a reason the U.S. government finally broke up AT&T many years ago. Let's hope our regulators have learned from that lesson.   

March 15, 2021 9:36 am  #6

The competition angle is interesting, in that the only overlap between the two companies is Freedom Mobile, which would likely have to be spun off.

March 15, 2021 10:54 am  #7

OH COME ON! Rogers bought Microcell and took ownership of Fido. They also have their own Chatr service.
They bought Mobilicity and shut it down.

Clearly their mission here is to have the least amount of competition possible. 
This should not be allowed.

Spun off? Freedom won't be spun off. It will be shut down just like Mobilicity was.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 15, 2021 11:00 am  #8

So Bell would still be bigger even after the Rogers-Shaw merger according to the latest figures I can find based on revenues. 

Shaw $5.4 billion + Rogers $14.1 Billion = $19.5 billion
Bell - $24 billion 

Last edited by cash (March 15, 2021 11:06 am)

March 15, 2021 11:02 am  #9

Radiowiz wrote:

Spun off? Freedom won't be spun off. It will be shut down just like Mobilicity was.

It can be ordered to be spun off. It would only be shut down if there are no takers. It would be a natural fit for Videotron if they want to make a go of it.

Regardless, Freedom is a tiny drop in the bucket relative to the size of this deal.

March 15, 2021 11:42 am  #10

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

It can be ordered to be spun off. It would only be shut down if there are no takers. It would be a natural fit for Videotron if they want to make a go of it.

Regardless, Freedom is a tiny drop in the bucket relative to the size of this deal.

Eastlink, which offers mobile services in Atlantic Canada could be another potential taker if Freedom got spun off, particularly as they also already have some cable and Internet services scattered throughout Ontario and Western Canada - notably Sudbury and Timmins, and also Delta, BC (a suburban municipality of over 100,000 in Metro Vancouver). Eastlink might actually be better known west of Quebec than Videotron.

March 15, 2021 11:48 am  #11

My brother lives in Calgary and is a Shaw customer. He's not going to be happy about this!

March 15, 2021 12:24 pm  #12

Because the CRTC and feds have been pushing for a 4th national carrier for mobile services, I doubt they will approve Rogers taking Freedom.  We have watched what happens when  Canada only has 3 owners of mobile networks, and the customers typically pay more as prices increase "to remain competitive"   I have a feeling that Freedom will be the only thing that will stand in the way  to get this approved as it is currently.    The CRTC will simply ask that Freedom be spun off in trust.   I'm sure they will find a buyer.   Freedom is much larger than Mobilicity or Public ever was...  Not to mention has way more customer base.   

Last edited by radiokid (March 17, 2021 12:02 pm)

March 15, 2021 12:39 pm  #13

As a Freedom customer, I'm hoping for a spinoff.  Overall, we've been quite happy with them.

Maybe Teksavvy would like to take a go at them.

March 15, 2021 1:26 pm  #14

MJ Vancouver wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Eastlink, which offers mobile services in Atlantic Canada could be another potential taker if Freedom got spun off, particularly as they also already have some cable and Internet services scattered throughout Ontario and Western Canada - notably Sudbury and Timmins, and also Delta, BC (a suburban municipality of over 100,000 in Metro Vancouver). Eastlink might actually be better known west of Quebec than Videotron.

For sure. Nobody outside of Quebec or Ottawa knows of Videotron. I'd imagine whoever takes it (if that's what happens) would retain the Freedom branding anyway, as it's bigger than any of them.

March 15, 2021 1:27 pm  #15

Peter the K wrote:

As a Freedom customer, I'm hoping for a spinoff.  Overall, we've been quite happy with them.

If somehow Rogers ends up with Freedom, would you stay with them?  

March 15, 2021 4:16 pm  #16

In Toronto, Freedom mobile is the only choice there is for service underground in Toronto's Subway system.
If Rogers gets to keep Freedom, maybe they'll be smart enough to expand on that service to their Fido, Chatr and Rogers mobile services. 
It would be smart! They'd have an advantage over Telus and Bell...but merely the same advantage Freedom mobile always had.

March 15, 2021 4:38 pm  #17

Radiowiz wrote:

In Toronto, Freedom mobile is the only choice there is for service underground in Toronto's Subway system.

Still?! I haven't lived in and commuted on the subway in Toronto for several years and I would've assumed that would've been fixed by now.

In Vancouver, Rogers added LTE to underground portions of SkyTrain in phases between 2016 and 2017, with Freedom joining in 2018, and Bell and Telus since February 2020. All four carriers have full LTE access across the network.

I don't know what the holdup might be with the TTC, aside from the pandemic.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (March 15, 2021 4:39 pm)

March 15, 2021 4:57 pm  #18

MJ Vancouver wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Still?! I haven't lived in and commuted on the subway in Toronto for several years and I would've assumed that would've been fixed by now.

In Vancouver, Rogers added LTE to underground portions of SkyTrain in phases between 2016 and 2017, with Freedom joining in 2018, and Bell and Telus since February 2020. All four carriers have full LTE access across the network.

I don't know what the holdup might be with the TTC, aside from the pandemic.

A third party spent millions of dollars covering the subway with LTE with the idea that the cell companies would then pay them for its use, assuming once one company agreed, they'd all have to. The big 3 figured it would be cheaper for none of them to bite. Only Freedom signed on. Bell, Rogers, and Telus could have subway LTE tomorrow if they wanted.

March 15, 2021 5:40 pm  #19

RadioActive wrote:

Peter the K wrote:

If somehow Rogers ends up with Freedom, would you stay with them?  

If I'm on a contract, I'll have no choice.  Then again, nether will they.

I'm stuck with Rogers now for Internet and TV only because I can't get Bell Fibe in my current location and, considering there's an 86 year-old in the house, Teksavvy TV isn't quite ready for prime time.  I've already had to sick the CCTS on Rogers once for billing issues. 

But to answer your question, it will come down to who has the best to offer.  My current "free" phone plan with Freedom ends in August.  My actual usage is minimal.  Honestly, as long as I'm grandfathered, I have no reason to switch. 

March 20, 2021 12:32 pm  #20

Competition Bureau getting ‘unprecedented’ online feedback about Rogers, Shaw deal

https://www.thestar.com/business/2021/03/19/competition-bureau-getting-unprecedented-online-feedback-about-rogers-shaw-deal.html?li_source=LI&li_medium=thestar_business

Last edited by cash (March 20, 2021 12:32 pm)

March 21, 2021 7:17 am  #21

Today's Cross Country Checkup is about the Rogers Shaw deal.

April 25, 2021 9:39 am  #22

April 25, 2021 9:55 am  #23

You may be able to read it if you click on the link above, then use this:

https://clearthis.page/

April 25, 2021 9:59 am  #24

Paywall this! There are other sources out there for news that don't charge anything. Maybe Globe & Mail should learn how to replace a paywall with banner advertising as a free online news source. (they might have to)

No paywall here: https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/shaw/rogers-takeover-was-result-of-bidding-war-says-shaw/

May 20, 2021 4:37 pm  #25

Shaw shareholders vote in favour of Rogers’ takeover offer
https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/05/20/shaw-shareholders-vote-in-favour-of-rogers-takeover-offer/

September 14, 2021 4:59 pm  #26

Bell has weighed in opposing the Shaw/Rogers deal because it would give the new entity way too much control of the English language TV distribution market. 

Worth noting that Bell also made a bid for the company, but was beaten by its fiercest rival. Oh, the irony and the hypocrisy. 

Bell joins Quebecor, TekSavvy in opposing Rogers/Shaw merger