sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 4, 2021 9:04 am  #1

Bob McCown

On the Humble and Fred show this morning, he announced he is returning to radio. He said an announcement is imminent, likely this week. He did say he "isnt returning anywhere". 

March 4, 2021 11:12 am  #2

Re: Bob McCown

I wonder if 1050 would open up the wallet for him.

Yes, Bell obviously just took a big step away from sports radio, but maybe some of the reason for that was to concentrate resources and make a go of it in Toronto.

The timing would be right as 590 is leaderless and making unpopular changes.

March 10, 2021 10:37 am  #4

grilled.cheese wrote:

CKNT

You called it... McCown on Sauga 960 starting Monday:

https://twitter.com/sauga960am/status/1369652197630283778

March 10, 2021 2:15 pm  #5

TheWiz wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

CKNT

You called it... McCown on Sauga 960 starting Monday:

https://twitter.com/sauga960am/status/1369652197630283778

Where the hell is AM 960 getting the money to pay BOB???

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 10, 2021 2:21 pm  #6

My guess? He's selling his own show and leasing time on the station, and he pockets whatever money the program pulls in. Plus, he's his own boss, answerable only to himself. Why else would he wind up on a one-lung radio station when the Fan was reportedly courting him to come back? 

March 10, 2021 3:04 pm  #7

Broadcast Dialogue indicates he will have a co-host - John Shannon, a former hockey analyst for Sportsnet. 

Bob McCown to debut new radio show on Sauga 960 AM

March 10, 2021 4:16 pm  #8

According to the Broadcast Dialogue article, the show will be used as his podcast.

March 10, 2021 6:01 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

My guess? He's selling his own show and leasing time on the station, and he pockets whatever money the program pulls in. Plus, he's his own boss, answerable only to himself. Why else would he wind up on a one-lung radio station when the Fan was reportedly courting him to come back? 

Yeah, I know they've worded it as "The show will be packaged as a Podcast," but I'd have to wonder if it's more like "The station is running his podcast". It's never been a show that's needed to be live as he's thankfully avoided listener calls for most its run.

March 10, 2021 6:52 pm  #10

Official announcement from my show on Newstalk Sauga960 this morning..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTwBKIR5Jqc

March 10, 2021 8:04 pm  #11

RadioActive wrote:

Broadcast Dialogue indicates he will have a co-host - John Shannon, a former hockey analyst for Sportsnet. 

Bob McCown to debut new radio show on Sauga 960 AM

Bob AND John Shannon, I'm there.

Last edited by betaylored (March 10, 2021 8:05 pm)

March 12, 2021 8:05 am  #12

I make fun of Sauga960 a lot, but it's really amazing some of the prominent names who have ended up there. Many are radio refugees, who have had their gigs ended either by their own hand or management. And while many turned to podcasts, there is still a magic (and hopefully a profit) to be made from traditional radio.

CKNT is a strange station - a relatively new AM doing talk in a smaller community with a poor signal. At a time when the medium isn't exactly thriving, it's an odd creature. Yet you've got to give them credit for attracting talent you'd never expect: Mike Richards, John Scholes, Richard Syrett, Karlene Nation, even Ed the Sock. And now Bob McCown. Not something you'd expect from such a small place.

I'm not sure if anyone is listening. But at least they've put together a line-up of names that might make you want to. For some, it appears to have become a lifeboat in an era when radio is the Titanic. Paid time or not, I have to admit I never expected that to happen.

March 12, 2021 10:58 am  #13

Very fair and very accurate on all accounts.....