sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 2, 2021 11:49 am  #31

Re: Antenna Users To Lose Buffalo's Channel 49 & Subcarriers On March 18th

One more W.NY development.  WNYB-DT - Buffalo/Jamestown which switched from RF 26 to RF5, has applied to move to Ch. 27 on Grand Island, at 5 KW ERP.  Though the signal will be directional, towards the south, there is a likelihood that it could be received in Toronto, if approved.  I believe with the multiplexing approved by the CRTC that Global is in the process of vacating Ch. 27.

March 2, 2021 12:00 pm  #32

That would be great, if it happens. Not that I watch the religious station, but it used to come in perfectly - until they vacated for VHF. The real question is how long will it take for any decision to be made?

March 8, 2021 12:09 pm  #33

My tv has suddenly been showing in the last few days 33-5 with (no mode supported) 

March 9, 2021 10:55 pm  #34

33.5: WGRZ is prepping to add Tegna's Twist diginet according to Rabbitears.

March 9, 2021 11:04 pm  #35

The station is aimed at women and will be filled with reality programming that supposedly ends with a "Twist" - hence the name, Shows like Dance Moms and Queer Eye For The Straight Guy are the type of things you can expect. I won't be watching, but Tegna obviously believes there are a lot of women out there who will. 

Tegna Launching Twist Diginet For Women

March 9, 2021 11:27 pm  #36

March 10, 2021 10:49 am  #37

Speaking of TWIST, here is another strange twist.   WNYO-49 RF 16 will become the "Lighthouse" station for ATSC-3 in Buffalo.  What that will mean, is as early as March 18th, WGRZ (NBC); WIVB (CBS) and WKBW (ABC) will have their own ATSC 3.0 signals "hosted" on the WNYO transmitter.   I believe that WUTV's FOX signal will also be there.   What does this mean for SOWNY viewers?  If you buy a new TV set, and have reasonable off-air reception of WNYO's transmitter on Grand Island  RF 16, then you should have a very strong, stable signal of ABC, NBC and CBS stations, which often fade down during weather anomalies in the warmer months.  You will be looking at a 50 mile path to the transmitter, versus 85-90 miles to S. Wales, and Colden NY.   Many of you have noted problems with WIVB.  This should cure those problems.  No ATSC 3.0 capability.  Check out silicon dust's HD Homerun 3.0.   Sells for $199 USD, and has 4 tuners, so you can record on multiple channels and watch on other channels throughout your home, or on your tablet.  I expect that more set top boxes will hit the market later this year or next year.   It is expected that WNYO will be the "Lighthouse" for the other stations for a 5-year period.  

Last edited by tvguy (March 10, 2021 10:50 am)

March 17, 2021 1:10 pm  #38

Thursday is the day the great 3.0 experiment is supposed to start on Channel 49.

Just out of curiosity, I decided to rescan the Buffalo spectrum of the major signals, mostly located from channels 31-36. Almost every one of them indicated 1 new channel was found. But when I went to the various stations, there was nothing new to be seen. 

Is this just an anomaly or is there something there that I just can't get yet? 

Either way, Thursday should be an interesting day for antenna owners as a whole new shuffle off to Buffalo begins.