sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 6, 2021 8:48 pm  #1

Subtle Changes At Funny 820 & GNR640

Perhaps the spread of the comedy format to a few other stations may have made Bell decide to freshen up its presentation on CHAM. 

The changes are fairly subtle - there's now a male voice doing an intro to each bit, so you don't have to wait until the end of piece to find out who it was. (The old female extro is still there, though, so it's kind of an intro and a backsell in Top 40 terms.) 

But that's not the most noticeable thing to me. In a bow to political correctness (or maybe a desire to avoid CBSC scrutiny) every 20 minutes or so there's a brief advisory explaining how comedy is "subjective" and that the station takes no responsibility for the potentially offensive content of some of the comics they present. I thought most of the stuff they aired was pretty tame, but obviously Bell has decided to take no chances in these overly sensitive times.

Over at 640, they're now playing actual real songs as intros and extros in and out of the breaks of various talk shows. Before this, they strictly stuck to either generic beds or that somewhat annoying Global theme music. I could be wrong, but I always understood the reason for this was a) consistency on all their stations and b) they were trying to avoid the fees radio outlets have to pay when they use a commercial recording. 

I wonder what changed. 

March 7, 2021 10:45 am  #2

Re: Subtle Changes At Funny 820 & GNR640

RadioActive wrote:

The changes are fairly subtle - there's now a male voice doing an intro to each bit, so you don't have to wait until the end of piece to find out who it was.

That was their primary fuckup, so it's an encouraging change. Next challenge? Add more Derek and Clive into the mix.

March 8, 2021 5:03 pm  #3

I remember years ago when the Stafford show was mid mornings, they used real songs as bumper music.  It actually turned me on to some new music I've never heard before.  There was one tune I recall.  It sounded like they were looping the same 4 bars but when I finally found the song courtesy of SoundHound, I discovered the whole song was basically the same 4 bars in the same key with some lyrics on it.  Still a good tune.  Wish I could remember what it was. 

March 8, 2021 10:08 pm  #4

Peter the K wrote:

I remember years ago when the Stafford show was mid mornings, they used real songs as bumper music.  It actually turned me on to some new music I've never heard before.  There was one tune I recall.  It sounded like they were looping the same 4 bars but when I finally found the song courtesy of SoundHound, I discovered the whole song was basically the same 4 bars in the same key with some lyrics on it.  Still a good tune.  Wish I could remember what it was. 

Maybe the brains of the big yellow board can help ;)

I miss the Stafford show years, with Patrick and Tina T and giggle tights. I think there's a couple of Stafford show excerpts still kicking around on one of the podcast platforms, I may need to hunt them down again.

March 9, 2021 11:42 am  #5

One of the problems of being a data hoarder is that you know you have something, but you just forget where you put it.  I can totally sympathize with squirrels. 

I dug through my own audio archive and found the song in question on a Stafford show archive from March 2, 2016.  The song itself starts at the 0:28 mark of the video.

Last edited by Peter the K (March 9, 2021 11:43 am)

March 9, 2021 1:10 pm  #6

grilled.cheese wrote:

I have quite a few entire shows of Staff et all saved in my archive, including commercials and news broadcasts. 

Is this archive localized on a single, physical hard drive, or is it part of the cloud?

March 9, 2021 5:06 pm  #7

grilled.cheese wrote:

Fjiri wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

I have quite a few entire shows of Staff et all saved in my archive, including commercials and news broadcasts. 

Is this archive localized on a single, physical hard drive, or is it part of the cloud?

My man;  Currently they are sitting comfortably on my hard drive but can be uploaded to Dropbox if requested. 

I recall Michael's blood pressure rising after being grilled about how he came to know the tale of 'Wrong Way' Corrigan.

March 9, 2021 8:13 pm  #8

grilled.cheese wrote:

Fjiri wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

My man;  Currently they are sitting comfortably on my hard drive but can be uploaded to Dropbox if requested. 

I recall Michael's blood pressure rising after being grilled about how he came to know the tale of 'Wrong Way' Corrigan.

Ah yes.  Friday, March 18, 2016.  Almost 6 years ago.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ngfm0skvch0zkb4/wrong%20way%20corrigan%20%26%20seinfeld%20picking%20up%20guys%20-%20friday%2C%20march%2018th%202016.mp3?dl=0

A lot of current 640 morning show listeners who faithfully tuned in to the Stafford show would like to get their ears on this grilled.cheese, and would enjoy the entire archive 🎙️📻🎧😄

Last edited by betaylored (March 9, 2021 8:13 pm)