sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 11, 2016 3:52 pm  #1

The way it should be

Sink hole notwithstanding, the big news for me this week in Ottawa was attending the annual conference of campus and community radio at U of Ottawa. It was amazing to be with so many people from all over the country sharing ideas and a general enthusiasm for this kind of radio that really reaches out to its listeners and provides a true alternative on the dial. It was encouraging to see such passion and idea-sharing. THIS is what radio should be.

June 13, 2016 11:29 am  #2

Re: The way it should be

I'm not sure "community radio" is the way it SHOULD be, although it is certainly "one of the ways".    Community radio is generally based more on "what the host or DJ want" which is what makes it fun, and easy to be passionate about, however it doesn't always translate to "audience".    What makes it fun is there is no accountability of performance other than to show up.    I'm not saying there isn't good things happening, it's just different than commercial radio.    Personally, I love winning so I like commercial radio because you are measured by audience and revenue and the only way to do that is "connection".   Great connection = great radio = audience.

June 13, 2016 3:27 pm  #3

The stressful part about some community radio stations is pledge drive time.
Not having enough pledges during your show can be depressing.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 14, 2016 9:09 pm  #4

Radiowiz wrote:

The stressful part about some community radio stations is pledge drive time.
Not having enough pledges during your show can be depressing.

No denying that and even though someone may have a well-like program, not everyone is a slick marketer which is key to translating those ears into $$. One of the keys to encouraging the party faithful to put up their bucks is to mention a specific objective that they can understand eg. "weather shield for the antenna allowing us to provide uninterrupted service during severe weather."  In addition, getting anyone who has benefitted in any way from the station, particularly prominent figures in the area to vocalize it increases credibility. Having worked for many years on the commercial side and now the not-for-profit side, both have their plusses and minuses but there is no questioning the passion displayed by someone who is there purely because they enjoy it.