sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 28, 2021 9:20 pm  #1

Brampton Radio Station Lets You Literally Dial Up Their Signal

Yeah, I know - what's the big deal about listening to radio on your smart phone? Everyone can do it.

But in the case of Radio Humsafar, the ethnic station at 1350 in Brampton, for some reason they've set up an actual line that plays their signal into the phone.

Not streamed.

Into the phone itself.

This despite the fact they have a perfectly good high quality stream of their signal on the web. 

I have no idea why they would do this, but if you want to experience this weird anomaly for yourself, here's the number: (647) 564-1350

Talk about a throwback to an earlier day in both radio and technology. 

February 28, 2021 9:32 pm  #2

Re: Brampton Radio Station Lets You Literally Dial Up Their Signal

Well, shows what I know about this station. 

They also have numbers for would-be phone eavesdroppers for their station at 1610 in Montreal (514-609-1610)  as well as access in the U.S. (1350AM: 425-549-8107, 1610AM: 774-337-6044,) the UK  (1610AM: 0330-606-0959 ) and Australia (1610 AM: (028080)564 or 1610 AM: 1300.769.802.) 

I have no idea who in Australia or the U.K. is even aware of their existence. But just another strange little quirk from a station you've probably never given a second thought about, let alone listened to.

February 28, 2021 10:03 pm  #3

Honestly, I think I'm the Twilight Zone. While tuning around the Toronto AM dial Sunday night, I landed on CHHA, the Spanish station at 1610 AM, a place I would otherwise never give a thought to, let alone a listen.  

But in the past 15 minutes, I've heard them play Paul Anka's "Diana," "Hey Jude" by The Beatles, "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" by Queen, "Pretty Woman" from Roy Orbison and Tom Jones' "She's A Lady." (Well, at least you can't say they're not keeping up with their CanCon!) Other than a top of the hour ID (in English, no less) there's been no interruption for commercials, announcers or anything else. 

Is this an ethnic station or an oldies outlet? 

CHHA Stream

Update: After a steady stream of oldies, they finally played a Spanish language record I didn't recognize. I wonder if they always do this?  

Last edited by RadioActive (February 28, 2021 10:08 pm)

March 1, 2021 1:08 am  #4

Maybe they fear their internet feed will go down? Nice back up, I suppose... (?)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 1, 2021 12:25 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

Yeah, I know - what's the big deal about listening to radio on your smart phone? Everyone can do it.

But in the case of Radio Humsafar, the ethnic station at 1350 in Brampton, for some reason they've set up an actual line that plays their signal into the phone.

Not streamed.

Into the phone itself.

This despite the fact they have a perfectly good high quality stream of their signal on the web. 

I have no idea why they would do this, but if you want to experience this weird anomaly for yourself, here's the number: (647) 564-1350

Talk about a throwback to an earlier day in both radio and technology. 

The only demo I can think of that might use this is seniors without Internet access who either don't have a radio or can't pick up the AM signal.

I'm aware of a church that is doing exactly the same thing during the pandemic, to reach people who want to attend the mass remotely but don't have Internet access to watch the mass online. My family knows at least one person in her 80s who has been using this phone service.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (March 1, 2021 12:26 pm)