sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 10, 2016 11:14 am  #1

State Of The Art Radio Equipment - In 1951

Someone pointed out this classic photo from CJRT in 1951. I love the caption about "heavy duty machinery." I'll say one thing about those old turntables - they were almost indestructible. Love the old board, too, which now looks like something out of a 1950s science fiction movie's idea of a spaceship's controls..

CJRT in 1951

June 10, 2016 11:15 am  #2

Re: State Of The Art Radio Equipment - In 1951

I always wondered where CKO Master control equipment came from.  

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

June 10, 2016 11:44 am  #3

Who's the guy to the left?  The Weekend?  I used to work on equipment not unlike some of that stuff in the pic.  Those huge turntables?  Before my time they'd put commercials on gigantic discs and they played 'em that way.  One station I worked at still used those 'big fellas' in the early 70s. Our board was of a similar vintage too.

Slide pots?  What the heck are those? 

June 10, 2016 12:27 pm  #4

Can't remember if they were RCAs or not but we used similar huge turntables in the mid 1960s at CJCA, Edmonton.
Since we only played 45s, there was an aluminum disk about the size of an album with a built-on, elevated centerpiece to cradle the record, able to slide on the felt underneath.
Because the turntables took so long to get up to speed,, we'd cue the single to the beginning, and using our left hand, start the turntable with the heel of our hand on a good-sized plunger, while holding on to the edge of the aluminum thingy, all the while praying that the needle wouldn't jump.
Sounds pretty funny, now.

Dick Clark came into the station when he came through town with his Shower of Stars show, took one look at the Master layout, shook his head, smiled, and said, "I don't know how you guys do it. This is a museum!" 

Last edited by mike marshall (June 10, 2016 12:32 pm)