sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 28, 2021 9:03 am  #1

Jerry Howarth Laments End Of Jays Radio-Only Broadcasts

The former voice of the Jays isn't happy about Rogers' plan to close the radio booth for the season and tread on the legacy he and Tom Cheek put together for almost four decades.

From the Toronto Sun:

Long-time Jays voice Jerry Howarth saddened by dismantling of team's radio broadcasts

February 28, 2021 9:14 am  #2

Re: Jerry Howarth Laments End Of Jays Radio-Only Broadcasts

The sad thing about this is the station that owns the rights is part of the team.  If there was a proper bidding procedure I doubt this would happen.

February 28, 2021 9:28 am  #3

It's telling that when certain key highlights in Jays' history get replayed, it's almost always from the radio broadcast.

Think of Tom Cheek's classic "Touch 'em all Joe!" call as the Jays won their second World Series title. I've seen the pictures, but I can't recall ever hearing the TV audio of that iconic moment. Even the team's official video commemorating the event used the Cheek version. 

That says everything you need to know. 

February 28, 2021 11:44 am  #4

The reason they use Cheek's call is because the World Series telecast was done by a U.S network.

February 28, 2021 11:50 am  #5

You're right in hindsight, but I still believe Cheek's call would have usurped them all. It was one of those "for the ages" moments. In fact, most baseball classic moments often seem to use the hometown radio announcers. As has been noted here by many, TV and radio coverage are totally different animals. 

My worry is that, as Rogers penny pinches in their usual way, other teams or stations may see this as a belt tightening measure that could strengthen their bottom lines - while weakening one of the best parts of the game.  

February 28, 2021 12:54 pm  #6

I wonder if Rogers is actually getting ready to put the Jays up for sale.  The team likely doesn't generate much money, or even a loss for them, the overhead is huge and mostly in US dollars.  Rumours of them tearing down the dome and building a smaller stadium with grass and building condos on the remaining land would solve part of that problem.

Rogers Centre would be a big roadblock for anyone who was interested in buying the team.  If Rogers built a new more conventional stadium would help to make the team more appealing and easier to sell.

Rogers controlling the broadcast rights may have made sense years ago, but this again doesn't make money for them, with ad revenues in the tank.  If Rogers sold the team it would open up bidding for broadcast rights and again this would be more appealing for a new owner. 

A Rogers executive said about a year ago that the Jay's were not part of their core business.  When any of the suits at head office say things like that, look out.  Changes are a comin'. It is a shame however that they decided to have no radio broadcast play by play this year.  Short sighted move in my opinion, and a further sign that they have checked out as owners of the Jays.

Last edited by paterson1 (February 28, 2021 12:56 pm)

February 28, 2021 5:08 pm  #7

Joe Bowen weighs in. Perhaps he's afraid this might just be the future of sports on radio.

February 28, 2021 5:17 pm  #8

So does former FAN 590 personality Howard Berger. And boy, he certainly doesn't mince words, especially when it comes to citing Rogers' announced reasons for the move. 

"Look up “hogwash” in your favorite dictionary and you’ll see a Rogers logo."

Another Rogers Sh** Show 

February 28, 2021 7:30 pm  #9

paterson1 wrote:

I wonder if Rogers is actually getting ready to put the Jays up for sale.  The team likely doesn't generate much money, or even a loss for them, the overhead is huge and mostly in US dollars.  Rumours of them tearing down the dome and building a smaller stadium with grass and building condos on the remaining land would solve part of that problem.

Rogers Centre would be a big roadblock for anyone who was interested in buying the team.  If Rogers built a new more conventional stadium would help to make the team more appealing and easier to sell.

Rogers controlling the broadcast rights may have made sense years ago, but this again doesn't make money for them, with ad revenues in the tank.  If Rogers sold the team it would open up bidding for broadcast rights and again this would be more appealing for a new owner. 

A Rogers executive said about a year ago that the Jay's were not part of their core business.  When any of the suits at head office say things like that, look out.  Changes are a comin'. It is a shame however that they decided to have no radio broadcast play by play this year.  Short sighted move in my opinion, and a further sign that they have checked out as owners of the Jays.

I don't know if a sale makes sense.  In an ordinary year the Jays fill 162 afternoons and evenings on four TV channels and several Rogers radio stations, plus network ad revenue on about a dozen other stations across the country.

Last edited by Prod Guy (February 28, 2021 7:30 pm)

March 1, 2021 6:20 am  #10

RadioActive wrote:

Joe Bowen weighs in. Perhaps he's afraid this might just be the future of sports on radio.

>> Perhaps he's afraid this might just be the future of sports on radio.

Good point. I wonder if they'll ever extend this edict to hockey to save money. After all, Rogers only had $353 million in profits last year. They'll be selling pencils on street corners soon.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

March 1, 2021 8:28 am  #11

Prod Guy wrote:

I don't know if a sale makes sense.  In an ordinary year the Jays fill 162 afternoons and evenings on four TV channels and several Rogers radio stations, plus network ad revenue on about a dozen other stations across the country.

I think A sale while they appear to be profitable would be smart. 
There may be some hidden costs eating away at the bottom line, Rogers centre upkeep and all.

Rumours of a sale actually started back in 2017.
Also, there were those OTHER rumours of Rogers simply wanting to sell naming rights of the Rogers centre...what ever happened to that idea anyway?  
https://www.bluebirdbanter.com/2017/10/29/16567956/toronto-blue-jaysrogers-considering-selling-naming-rights-to-rogers-centre 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.