sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 24, 2021 10:10 pm  #1

The Tall One, Dick Williams Returns to 980 CFPL

He started at CFPL 980 over 60 years ago, and now he is back.  London legend Dick Williams returns this Saturday and Sunday with the premiere of his new show Dick Williams Solid Gold Rock and Roll 11am to 2pm.  More on this and a great old 1964 Dick Williams CFPL aircheck from Broadcast Dialogue...
https://broadcastdialogue.com/dick-williams-returns-to-londons-cfpl-60-years-after-first-joining-station/

Last edited by paterson1 (February 24, 2021 11:21 pm)

February 25, 2021 1:08 pm  #2

Re: The Tall One, Dick Williams Returns to 980 CFPL

What a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

This will be much better than their current practice of rerunning an old weekday talk show; I have made myself a note to tune in. I wish Dick and his team much success.

February 25, 2021 3:49 pm  #3

Not mentioned in the article is his stint on the late CKSL, when it had the oldies format in the early 2000s - which means he’s been on every AM station that has existed in the London-St. Thomas market. I recall he was on CKSL around 2001-02, at the same time he was on Q97.5. In early 2002 I believe he was on weekdays from 9-2 on 1410 and then on Q97.5 starting at 2. I always got the impression his CKSL show was pre-recorded while his Q97.5 show was live; there was one time I remember him filling in for a later time slot on ‘SL and he was on both stations at the same time.

For awhile his CKSL show’s imaging included some of the imaging used on his CFPL show in the 60s (particularly “The Tall One”), naturally not including references to that station.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (February 25, 2021 3:57 pm)

February 25, 2021 3:53 pm  #4

Yes, I am definitely going to tune in this weekend.  I don't know a lot about Mr. Williams but certainly heard a lot of good things about him when I worked at CFPL.  Dick was at CJBK when I was lived in London.  The Forest City had their share of great talent over the years and most either stayed in London or retired there.

Good on Corus and Dick's son for pulling this together, and I agree this is certainly better than running weekday talk shows.  Also  I like the fact that PL which has been all talk for years now is going to have a music show for a few hours on Saturday and Sunday, and at midday. Sort of intriguing too is the fact that CFPL never went rock and roll full time in the 50's to 70's.  They were sort of like a  less serious version of CFRB in some ways,  but still a great full service radio station with excellent news.   

February 25, 2021 4:12 pm  #5

paterson1 wrote:

Yes, I am definitely going to tune in this weekend.  I don't know a lot about Mr. Williams but certainly heard a lot of good things about him when I worked at CFPL.  Dick was at CJBK when I was lived in London.  The Forest City had their share of great talent over the years and most either stayed in London or retired there.

Good on Corus and Dick's son for pulling this together, and I agree this is certainly better than running weekday talk shows.  Also  I like the fact that PL which has been all talk for years now is going to have a music show for a few hours on Saturday and Sunday, and at midday. Sort of intriguing too is the fact that CFPL never went rock and roll full time in the 50's to 70's.  They were sort of like a  less serious version of CFRB in some ways,  but still a great full service radio station with excellent news.   

He's always been very cheerful and positive on the radio. I reached out to him by email one time when I was doing some advertising consulting a decade or so ago and he was just as cheerful over email as on radio.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (February 25, 2021 4:12 pm)

February 25, 2021 4:26 pm  #6

Hmmm. WABC has Cousin Brucie and Tony Orlando playing the hits on Saturday nights. And apparently, they've done OK in a wasteland ratings time period. 

Dick Williams comes back on CFPL to do the same kind of show in another fallow time slot. 

Roger Ashby goes back into syndication with his Oldies Show and finds success.

Not that it would ever happen, but could CKOC do a few hours return to a weekend oldies show with one of their original jocks on a Saturday or a Sunday? It's been suggested here before, but this gives it some new impetus. Given how poor and completely American the Bloomberg radio feeds have been on the weekends - when they're not playing something entirely unrelated to business like jazz - maybe it would be worth considering, if they could sell it. (Because that's all Bell really cares about is selling it.) But what a treat that would be for listeners of the old Busy Bee.

Given Bell Media's proclivities to pay no one for anything, it will likely never happen. But I know I'd tune in for the nostalgia factor if they tried it. And how much worse could it do than what's on there now?  

February 25, 2021 5:03 pm  #7

I think now that ratings are all but a thing of the past for smaller and medium markets, trying stuff like this makes a ton of sense. All you need is one client that believes in it and you've won.

February 26, 2021 9:22 pm  #8

I am wondering why there is no mention of Dick Williams show on the Global News CFPL 980 site.  Broadcast Dialogue said that it was starting this weekend.  Seems odd why it isn't being promoted, or has the launch been bumped back?  They are still showing the former programming 11am to 2pm.  Guess we will find out tomorrow.  If the show is on this weekend, then somebody screwed up bigtime!! 

February 27, 2021 1:16 am  #9

Had the pleasure of being part of the team with Dick on his morning show oh so many years ago

The "team" was just the two of us

Wish him nothing but the best on his latest venture

I'll be listening

February 27, 2021 1:06 pm  #11

paterson1 wrote:

He started at CFPL 980 over 60 years ago, and now he is back.  London legend Dick Williams returns this Saturday and Sunday with the premiere of his new show Dick Williams Solid Gold Rock and Roll 11am to 2pm.  More on this and a great old 1964 Dick Williams CFPL aircheck from Broadcast Dialogue...
https://broadcastdialogue.com/dick-williams-returns-to-londons-cfpl-60-years-after-first-joining-station/

Thanks for posting that. I live in London and never listen to CFPL. I have it on right now. It's great to hear music on AM again.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

February 27, 2021 3:05 pm  #12

Listening to it right now.

- Great jingles!

- Dick Williams sounds great - but they need to have more of HIM, talking about his life in radio and local events from his era. We can hear the music anytime and anywhere, but it's the Tall One people are tuning in for. They've been showcasing some of his humour. Let's hear more if it - he's truly a funny guy.

- Nice effort at localism, mentioning local concerts from the past and such.

- I only heard the last half-hour, but I liked it. The more of the Tall One the better!

Here's the last half-hour rof Dick's show (unscoped):

http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/cfpl-williams-feb27-21-u.mp3

Last edited by Dale Patterson (February 27, 2021 3:13 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

February 27, 2021 3:35 pm  #13

I enjoyed what I heard very much.  However there was a screw up in the second hour when they seemed to repeat the first hour.  I tuned out but came back for the last 50 minutes of hour three, so I don't know if they salvaged any of the second hour.  I wonder if Sundays show is a repeat of Saturday or new.

Regardless, he certainly plays the hits, and today choices in music were excellent.  His son who is a sales rep for Corus certainly sold the program well. Great variety of local advertisers, so the program will be a money maker.

This being his first show, I am sure he will be a little more front and centre in time, but today was pretty good. I do agree, he has a good sense of humour.  Even liked the newscasts on the hour.  The turnover after the 2pm news to the Roy Green show was pretty rough though.  Again, technical glitches.  

Well done Dick Williams and CFPL.  But give the show some promo on your website and take off the old shows on the schedule that are no longer running from 11am to 2pm!  At least The London Free Press had Dick's return and the show prominently on their website today and in the newspaper.  Now if Global News Radio CFPL could only get it together on line.  

Last edited by paterson1 (February 27, 2021 4:17 pm)

February 27, 2021 4:59 pm  #14

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

February 27, 2021 7:21 pm  #15

Today was the first I've even heard of Williams. During his early years, I was growing up ,i the Own Sound area. We could get CFPL up there but, of course, in those days we all listened to CKLW.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

February 28, 2021 7:12 pm  #16

Listened to more of Dick Williams Solid Gold Rock and Roll show today on CFPL and they actually ran all three hours correctly!  It was a repeat of yesterdays somewhat mangled show.  The initial program was really well done, the basic elements are all there, entertaining host, great choice of music and super old CFPL jingles.  But they need to fix the technical glitches that cut Dick off a couple of times today and clipped some commercials.  Also some instances of dead air going into commercials.  A show like this doesn't have a lot of chances so they better clean it up on the technical side.  Today on the CFPL website in the "on air" box no mention of the show and nothing in the program schedule.   Amateurish.  However they did have a rotating graphic today to promote the program. 

March 6, 2021 1:34 pm  #17

A big improvement over last week in Dick Williams new show on CFPL.  So far glitch free going from songs to commercials and Dick is a bit more front and centre this week.  Excellent music choices.  Now if CFPL would just update their website to reflect his show on the schedule!! 

March 21, 2021 5:45 pm  #18

Williams and his son, appropriately named DJ, are interviewed on the latest Broadcast Dialogue podcast. 

You can hear it here.