sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 25, 2021 9:55 pm  #1

Reshmi Nair and Nick Dixon to helm new CP24 primetime news show

CP24 offers a sort of "The National" very early in the evening. Whether anyone watches or not remains to be seen. 

Reshmi Nair and Nick Dixon to helm new CP24 primetime news show

February 26, 2021 1:21 am  #2

Re: Reshmi Nair and Nick Dixon to helm new CP24 primetime news show

Canada Tonight with Ginella Massa which debuted last month on CBC News Network and starts an hour later also promotes itself as going beyond the headlines.  

February 26, 2021 2:20 pm  #3

I am looking forward to see this, two experienced journalists anchoring the new program.  CP24 overall is a good station and this hopefully will be an improvement in the evenings. I am glad they are ditching or moving the real estate show and a few others from the 7-9pm slot and sticking with news.

Bell did something similar a few years ago with many of their local CTV stations.  They let people go, cancelled sports and then turned around and expanded the evening television news package.  News on CTV channels start at 5pm and in many cases they also hired or brought in new reporters.  That's how it worked at CTV Kitchener with the local cast 5-7pm weeknights. 

And they now often scoop the daily Waterloo Region Record on stories which didn't happen as much before.  The on air talent is good to not so good, but the reporting by and large is well done and better in my opinion than a few years back, with more live reporting.

February 26, 2021 4:22 pm  #4

paterson1 wrote:

I am looking forward to see this, two experienced journalists anchoring the new program.  CP24 overall is a good station and this hopefully will be an improvement in the evenings. I am glad they are ditching or moving the real estate show and a few others from the 7-9pm slot and sticking with news.

Bell did something similar a few years ago with many of their local CTV stations.  They let people go, cancelled sports and then turned around and expanded the evening television news package.  News on CTV channels start at 5pm and in many cases they also hired or brought in new reporters.  That's how it worked at CTV Kitchener with the local cast 5-7pm weeknights. 

And they now often scoop the daily Waterloo Region Record on stories which didn't happen as much before.  The on air talent is good to not so good, but the reporting by and large is well done and better in my opinion than a few years back, with more live reporting.

The CTV stations are airing news at 5pm except the CTV2 stations in Ontario - Windsor, London and Barrie continue to have only 6-7pm news. (CTV2 Vancouver Island has had a 5pm newscast in addition to 6:00 dating back to the A-Channel days.)

I'm not too familiar with Reshmi Nair but I know she was hosting one of CTV's Quibi news shows, which would have been cancelled with the Quibi shutdown several months ago.

March 1, 2021 9:21 pm  #5

Did Reshmi Nair leave the comfy confines of the CBC for Bell?  

March 1, 2021 10:45 pm  #6

Saw bit and pieces of the first show and not bad in my opinion.  Reshmi and Nick are pros and CP24 Tonight initially at least seems to be an improvement to Nightside.  Interesting that they had a section live with the mayors of Mississauga and Brampton at the same time. Similar to ask the mayor feature that they do with John Tory. 

Reshmi had been at CBC for ten years and left last year.  Don't know if she went directly to Bell or did something else. Her reason for leaving CBC wasn't really clear, but I believe she did start her career with CTV for a stint prior to CBC.

March 2, 2021 1:27 am  #7

paterson1 wrote:

Saw bit and pieces of the first show and not bad in my opinion.  Reshmi and Nick are pros and CP24 Tonight initially at least seems to be an improvement to Nightside.  Interesting that they had a section live with the mayors of Mississauga and Brampton at the same time. Similar to ask the mayor feature that they do with John Tory. 

Reshmi had been at CBC for ten years and left last year.  Don't know if she went directly to Bell or did something else. Her reason for leaving CBC wasn't really clear, but I believe she did start her career with CTV for a stint prior to CBC.

I seem to recall she was on CTV provincial election coverage last year but played a very minor role, social media reports maybe?  I don't remember which province.  

Last edited by Prod Guy (March 2, 2021 1:27 am)

March 2, 2021 10:17 am  #8

cash wrote:

Did Reshmi Nair leave the comfy confines of the CBC for Bell?  

According to her Linked-In page, she toiled for the CBC for over 10 years, leaving for CTV a year ago, as an anchor in the disastrous Quibi experiment. That lasted all of 9 months and now she's on CP24. 

I'm not sure why she left the Corp., but in retrospect, I wonder if she's sorry she took that step. 

September 22, 2021 4:04 pm  #9

So is this show still on? Six months in, and Dixon gets moved to the morning show. There is no page for this show on the CP24 website.

September 22, 2021 7:03 pm  #10

It looks like Jackie Crandles has been given his chair. Nick hasn't stayed in the same place very long. Remember when he was the weekend anchor on CTV Toronto? That lasted only a few months too.