sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 21, 2021 2:45 pm  #1

CN Tower Power

I heard from an old colleague (working in the industry), that the CN Tower will be completing overnight maintenance on the broadcast power systems. Sometime between 2:00a-3:30a (on the 22nd), all FM's will go off-air for several minutes. Does anybody know how often this happens? I assume it's a somewhat uncommon occurrence. It would be neat to hear a recording of this process. 

February 21, 2021 2:54 pm  #2

Re: CN Tower Power

I'm far more interested in hearing what might come in on those vacant or adjacent channels. Thanks for the head's up. It's a DXers dream come true - if we can all stay up that late!

February 22, 2021 11:35 am  #3

The backups probably kick in 

February 24, 2021 12:18 am  #4

At the risk of sounding like a typical caller on an old Coast to Coast radio show could this "maintenance" be a review of the emergency operations.

What with the Texas weather and power catastrophe, and Canada's own past ice storms, are the "powers" that be getting prepared so that if the need arises, things are in place AND WORKING.

I've got my little black Sony am/fm battery operated radio ready to go. 😏📻

Last edited by betaylored (February 24, 2021 12:39 am)

February 24, 2021 9:11 am  #5

This is more than likely regular annual electrical systems maintenance.  They will power down systems so the electrical contractors can perform cleaning and tightening of the various connections within the electrical "switchboards" and generator transfer switches.  Kinda like performing maintenance on your main breaker panel in your house.  As for any off-site backup transmitters, they would be used during this time.  Of course they can be tested at any time.  Most people just don't notice.

February 24, 2021 9:48 am  #6

In Phase wrote:

This is more than likely
regular annual electrical systems maintenance.  They will power down systems so the electrical contractors can perform cleaning and tightening of the various connections within the electrical "switchboards" and generator transfer switches.  Kinda like performing maintenance on your main breaker panel in your house.  As for any off-site backup transmitters, they would be used during this time.  Of course they can be tested at any time.  Most people just don't notice.

Is there a thread about this every year around this time? Something still seems different.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.