sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 20, 2021 4:37 pm  #1

Neil Hedley zooms away from AM740

Heard today from a few sources that Neil Hedley was released from his duties yesterday morning at Zoomer Radio AM740.    Only heard that there was words exchanged.     I was always told never burn bridges in radio.   Anyway, Robbie Lane will be temporarily filling in till a replacement is found.    Too bad Roger Ashby couldn’t take the gig…or could he?  Does his oldies show tie him to Bell?

February 20, 2021 6:31 pm  #2

Re: Neil Hedley zooms away from AM740

Wasn't Neil AM740's music director as well?  Hey with the way Bell Media has been handling things lately, is anyone's job safe with them?  Ashby's show has been on for one year now, and with Randy Lennox gone now, who knows?

February 20, 2021 8:14 pm  #3

paterson1 wrote:

Wasn't Neil AM740's music director as well?

That's one good way to start a rumour about AM 740 going all talk.   

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 21, 2021 10:20 am  #4

Neil was MD for awhile then when Zoomer hired the CHUM boys, they took over programming.   I think Neil had been tired of doing music and handling air shifts.   Eventually the CHUM boys left and Gene Stevens returned full-time to look after music.   Gene is a great guy and proof that it’s not great to burn bridges because you may get hired back from the station that let you go a few years prior.

February 24, 2021 11:54 am  #5

A short while ago, Robbie Laine said there would be an all new morning show on Zoomer 740 AM as of this coming Monday.No further details mentioned as of yet.

February 24, 2021 5:34 pm  #6

I think Gord James would be a great choice for the 740 morning show. He was great on CKOC, CHUM and Vinyl 95 though the years. But I assume they've made their choice by now.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

March 8, 2021 12:19 pm  #7

djwildbill wrote:

Heard today from a few sources that Neil Hedley was released from his duties   

Although its hard to argue according to Numeris' reports, AM 740 has a devoted listenership.    I know, they've all got deep pockets but short arms, hah/hah/hah, heard that many times before.     

It would be interesting if someone of the proven reporting skills of Brad Wheeler or John Doyle did an in-depth interview, for example "Mr. Hedley, what kind of music do you REALLY enjoy?"