sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 18, 2021 3:39 pm  #1

Triple A Through the Years: Where The Format's Been & Where It's Going

February 18, 2021 4:33 pm  #2

Re: Triple A Through the Years: Where The Format's Been & Where It's Going

good article and unfortunate that Toronto the home of free form CHUM FM and CFNY never had a Triple A format.  CBC music does not quite cut it but I guess is the closest thing. 

The HD 2 feed of Indie BTW was not playing active rock any more when I listened last.. They should try triple A where they mix the Allman Bros and Steely Dan with Dr Dog and Wilco and live DJ's:

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

February 18, 2021 4:44 pm  #3

Oshawa tried it on 94.9 when Power Broadcasting owned it, had decent numbers, Corus sold the station

February 18, 2021 5:34 pm  #4

89.3 The Current from Minnesota Public Radio does it right.
TheCurrent.org

February 18, 2021 5:37 pm  #5

Fitz wrote:

good article and unfortunate that Toronto the home of free form CHUM FM and CFNY never had a Triple A format.  CBC music does not quite cut it but I guess is the closest thing. 

The HD 2 feed of Indie BTW was not playing active rock any more when I listened last.. They should try triple A where they mix the Allman Bros and Steely Dan with Dr Dog and Wilco and live DJ's:

Indie itself is halfway to being a modern AAA, wider and deeper than most alts, and still goes back into the 80s sometimes. And I think it's the best descriptor for CBC's drive-time programming. Any modern attempt at AAA isn't going to include the Allman Brothers or Steely Dan.

February 18, 2021 6:55 pm  #6

RadioAaron wrote:

Fitz wrote:

Indie itself is halfway to being a modern AAA, wider and deeper than most alts, and still goes back into the 80s sometimes. And I think it's the best descriptor for CBC's drive-time programming. Any modern attempt at AAA isn't going to include the Allman Brothers or Steely Dan.

There are stations that do at the commercial end WXRT in Chicago and lots of non commercial including WXPN. Below is WXRT's playlist from a few minutes ago. Major market Triple A that made the transition from almost free form in 1973 to triple A. Sorry for the garble on the cut and paste but you will get the gist of their playlist:

A::42 PMMUSEMadnessWarner Bros.4:38 PMCOUNTING CROWSRain KingDGC4:35 PMBEATLESBallad Of John & YokoCapitol4:29 PMBLACK CROWESShe Talks To AngelsReprise4:26 PM BAKAR1st TimeBlack Butter/Epic4:22 PMSUPERTRAMPGive A Little BitA&M4:19 PMKURT VILE How Lucky f/John PrineMatador/Beggars4:10 PM RAG'N'BONE MAN All You Ever WantedColumbia4:07 PMBLIND MELONNo RainCapitol4:02 PMSOUL ASYLUMRunaway TrainColumbia3:57 PM CHRIS STAPLETONColdMercury Nashville3:54 PMLED ZEPPELINRock And RollAtlantic3:44 PM CAAMPOfficer Of LoveMom+Pop3:39 PMRED HOT CHILI PEPPERSCalifornicationWarner Bros.3:35 PMDEATH CAB FOR CUTIEI Will Possess Your HeartAtlantic3:30 PMALARM Rain In The SummertimeI.R.S.3:26 PMENGLISH BEATSave It For LaterI.R.S.3:23 PM OF MONSTERS AND MENAlligatorRepublic3:20 PM ROLLING STONESTumbling DiceRolling Stones3:09 PMGRATEFUL DEADHell In A BucketArista3:06 PM LUMINEERSGloriaDualtone/eOne

Last edited by Fitz (February 18, 2021 6:59 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

February 18, 2021 9:40 pm  #7

XRT's great, and like many AAA's, their ratings have gone up during COVID as high TSL stations shine.

AAA is like any format; it got defined at a certain time and those definitions haven't evolved. I discovered the format on KFOG in the late 90s...about 23 years ago(!). For AAA to endure, it needs to ditch the Classic Rock.

February 18, 2021 9:42 pm  #8

Holliday wrote:

89.3 The Current from Minnesota Public Radio does it right.
TheCurrent.org

They sure do! The Spectrum on SXM too for a more middle-of-the-road safe version.

February 19, 2021 7:08 am  #9

KFOG is unfortunately no more. The station switched to a christian format maybe two years ago. I still have an air check or two from them.

In terms of classic rock on triple A. Generally those who play it don't play all of the artists and same songs that plague the format. A good Triple A concentrates on deeper tracks. I have many air checks of WXRT's Saturday flashback series and the shows featuring 1971-75 really sound like what you heard on FM during that era. Even some comedy bits, R&B, blues. Not as wide genre wide as what you heard in the 70's but a fairly good approximation.

The Flashback show is still on and it features one year per show but I have not listened for a few years. The air checks I have are from when Wendy Rice hosted the show. She was married to Norm Winer who was the station PD for years and his roots go back to WBCN FM in the 70's.

Cool Airchecks and More:

February 19, 2021 7:31 am  #10

WHAT KIND OF MUSIC DOES AAA RADIO PLAY? Stylistically, AAA radio may play rock, folk-rock, country-rock, modern rock, blues, folk, and world music. Some AAA outlets might focus more on classic rock or blues, while others will focus more on folk or world music, but in general, AAA radio has a broader, more diverse range than most other formats.

My go-to music station while i'm online is
Music City Roadhouse A rockin' great mix of Blues, Southern Rock and upbeat Honky Tonk, both old and new.
https://onlineradiobox.com/us/musiccity/?cs=us.musiccity&played=1

*chuckles* I even donated & got their T-Shirt .. 

February 19, 2021 7:44 pm  #11

Fitz wrote:

In terms of classic rock on triple A. Generally those who play it don't play all of the artists and same songs that plague the format. A good Triple A concentrates on deeper tracks.

But that's a definition of the format that was created in the 90s...that's a long time ago now. Now if you're using deep classic rock as one of your main music groups, your listeners will be in their 60s and older. Nothing wrong with that, but you know...

I think you can take this quote from KCMP's PD about the origin of the format and update it.

AAA seemed to be carrying on the traditions of the progressive FMs of the late ‘60s, building an audience of (mostly) baby boomers, who wanted more musically than they could find anywhere else on the dial – classic rock was too predictable (though they loved that music), alternative too inconsistent, top 40 too repetitive, and AC too sleepy. They wanted rock, but they also wanted stories, artists, and a mix of familiar artists and new discoveries. 

If you're going to do AAA now and get a 45 year old interested in it, you can pretty much take the highlighted part of that quote and replace "classic rock" with "90s grunge." A 2021 AAA has a base of 90s Alt gold (and yes, deep cuts), a few 80s tracks as "oldies" and a mix of currents from the poppier side of Alt and the edgier side of CHR. 

The formula in the 90s was the rock you grew up with and easier to digest stuff since then that's compatible, and I think you can re-create that today.

Last edited by RadioAaron (February 19, 2021 7:55 pm)

February 20, 2021 1:49 am  #12

I do enjoy CKWR's approach to AAA which is 80s based and plays the 90s and a few current tunes as "Waterloo Region's Adult Alternative". It's like a high school and university revival for me and a joy to listen to. Not much commercial spots to interrupt the music when I tune in.