sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 18, 2021 3:45 pm  #1

CBSC Comes Down On Sportsnet Over Brian Burke Comment

I'll leave it to those here to decide if they agree with the CBSC's logic and ruling on this one. 

CBSC concludes Burke comments during Game 7 glamourized violence

CBSC decision

February 18, 2021 4:24 pm  #2

Re: CBSC Comes Down On Sportsnet Over Brian Burke Comment

Seems like a stretch to me. Sports commentary uses a lot of violent rhetoric -- it always has, and I seriously doubt Burke was intentionally making a George Floyd reference.

February 19, 2021 12:29 am  #3

Expressions like "grab them by the throat," "foot on the throat" and "stranglehold" have been used as sports cliches for decades.  There's no way that was referring to George Floyd.  Brian Burke has promoted inclusiveness in hockey for years and I seriously doubt he's a racist.

February 19, 2021 7:05 am  #4

" .. The CBSC’s English-Language Panel examined the complaint under the CAB Violence Code which prohibits the promotion, sanction or glamorization of violence in general, as well as the promotion or exploitation of violence in sports. It unanimously concluded that the comment breached Article 1.0 of the code with the expression “put a boot on their throat and put your full body weight on it” not commonly used in sports  .. "

re: .. not commonly used in sports .. 

Obviously most of the CBSC English-Language Panel spend little time in the sports world either as participant or fan as the phrase is indeed fairly common.