sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 18, 2021 11:28 am  #1

“Terrestrial radio is an unnecessary and cumbersome..."

never worked ever, in radio

February 18, 2021 11:40 am  #2

Re: “Terrestrial radio is an unnecessary and cumbersome..."

"Number 1 in '97! Now what?"  lol

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 18, 2021 11:49 am  #3

Interesting timing, especially considering the new additions to the Funny family from the former sports stations in Vancouver and Winnipeg, where they certainly would have been heard.

They were never my cup of tea, but I congratulate them on getting enough of an audience that they're able to do things on their own terms. (And it also means the occasional time I tune into 820, I'll find the programming I want and not them, which I always found exceedingly annoying.)

That said, given Bell's current penny pinching, does anyone think they'll hire someone to replace them with a "morning show" that might now play on several radio stations across the country? Or is it now all stand-up all the time? Given recent evidence, I'm betting Bell will be happy to just let the automation play on, without having to spend a dime on anything. 

February 18, 2021 12:14 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

That said, given Bell's current penny pinching, does anyone think they'll hire someone to replace them with a "morning show" that might now play on several radio stations across the country? Or is it now all stand-up all the time? Given recent evidence, I'm betting Bell will be happy to just let the automation play on, without having to spend a dime on anything. 

Most definitely not.

I wouldn't be surprised if H&F weren't actually paying Bell for the time, then using that reach to sell their own ads, much like how the ethnic stations work. 

Last edited by RadioAaron (February 18, 2021 12:38 pm)

February 18, 2021 12:47 pm  #5

Humble and Fred weren't paying Bell for that slot.

We've actually been talking about firing radio for 12 months. This morning, we finally pulled the trigger.

Here's today's episode where you can hear Humble and Fred making the surprise announcement.

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/february-18-2021-humble-and-fred-quit-radio/id469406502?i=1000509723874

Last edited by torontomike (February 19, 2021 2:46 pm)