sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 15, 2021 3:20 pm  #1

He Was Gone..Now He Is Back!

Newstalk 1010's Mark Towhey was one of those dropped in the downsizing at Bell.  But he is back...at least for today. Filling in for Ryan and Jay on the Rush, who I guess wanted the holiday off.   So I wonder if Mark, Jim, Ted and Barb are going to be back up hosts in the months ahead, or if they even want the job?   

I remember this happened with Michael Coren when he was let go from 1010 years ago.  Only to appear back on the station from time to time filling in for various hosts.  Actually he was on a lot during the summer.  Some of his callers even joked about him being fired, only to come back on the station.  I think this happened at AM640 with him after being let go.   

February 15, 2021 4:14 pm  #2

Re: He Was Gone..Now He Is Back!

paterson1 wrote:

Newstalk 1010's Mark Towhey was one of those dropped in the downsizing at Bell.  But he is back...at least for today. Filling in for Ryan and Jay on the Rush, who I guess wanted the holiday off.   So I wonder if Mark, Jim, Ted and Barb are going to be back up hosts in the months ahead, or if they even want the job?   

I remember this happened with Michael Coren when he was let go from 1010 years ago.  Only to appear back on the station from time to time filling in for various hosts.  Actually he was on a lot during the summer.  Some of his callers even joked about him being fired, only to come back on the station.  I think this happened at AM640 with him after being let go.   

Seems to me this happened with Pam Seatle in a previous downsizing at Rogers. Except she ended up back in her previous position.

February 15, 2021 4:58 pm  #3

I can't say for sure, but since he only did one show a week on Sundays, I suspect Towhey was a freelancer. So he wasn't so much laid off as a fulltimer, they just reduced their need for him. In that way, they never truly cut ties with him. I still hear Tim Hudak, and I'm guessing he had the same kind of deal, which is why you still hear him occasionally on the Roundtables and the 6:20 AM debrief, despite his weekly show getting the axe, as well. 

February 15, 2021 7:24 pm  #4

Word on the street that they're bringing Berkovits back. He was fired, so he'd be eligible to do fill in work.

February 15, 2021 8:16 pm  #5

Samaritan wrote:

Word on the street that they're bringing Berkovits back   

Omni had delicious bagels

February 15, 2021 9:08 pm  #6

Omni had delicious bagels

Are they no more?

February 15, 2021 9:52 pm  #7

Samaritan wrote: