sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 13, 2021 1:56 pm  #1

Happy World Radio Day Everybody!

Twitter is alive today, Saturday February 13, 2021 with radio folks talking about the stations they've worked for, the terrific people they've worked with, and their love for the still alive and viable medium.

I spent my twenties working on-air at both am pop and fm rock stations, and if it hadn't been for the crap pay, would have stayed in the game. I still miss doing my show, pulling off a great mix, interviewing musicians, interacting with listeners, learning from other radio pals, and all the other great things that came with a radio career.

Radio needs it's HBO "The Sopranos" moment, where someone grasps the essence of what radio is, the sound of the human voice, turns it on it's ear, and blows the corporations and consultants out of the water.

If you could change one thing in radio today, anything, the sky's the limit, what would it be?

Last edited by betaylored (February 13, 2021 1:58 pm)

February 13, 2021 2:28 pm  #2

Re: Happy World Radio Day Everybody!

Betaylored, I agree, to me radio does so much

1. It is a friend on a lonely night
2. It brings back memories of fond times in our life (just one song from the past can do that) and conversely the opposite is true
3. It can heal, depending on the show...I used to produce Mr. Destiny at then TALK640 and that show offered comfort to our listeners and the host Alan Mayer was a gentle force.
4. It can bring people together...aka, When Barrie got hit by the tornado years ago, Telemedia Radio kicked in big time to help bring that community closer together and to heal
5. Your on air jock, is a friend...you develop a relationship with.
6. It can galvanize a nation, when your team reaches the championship, Team Canada winning gold medal, the Raptors winning the NBA title
7. It can bridge divides, I remember when Peter Gzowski interviewed the Imam and Rabbi at a Mosque and Synagogue that are neighbours on BayviewAve. (North of Steeles) when the first Gulf war broke out.

Radio really is a beautiful medium.

The only thing with the title, of World Radio Day, is in this market environment, the question is, "Where in the world am I going to find a job in radio"? 

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

February 13, 2021 6:13 pm  #3

Good thread betaylored.  Like newspapers, radio is still a big deal in many parts of the world. I understand that World Radio Day is a fairly big concern overseas. 

Unfortunately in North America and to a lesser extent in other parts of the world more traditional media has been in a tail spin for a while now.

One thing to change?  That's easy, get more local, have more fun and more personal.  That is the big advantage that radio has, being local, serving the public whether good or bad times, having fun and connecting with your audience.

Sounds old fashioned and out of touch, yup.  Sounds hokey, yup.  Sounds too small town, small market, and lacks sophistication, yup.  Doesn't reflect the current market conditions or the world we live in, yup. It is all of those things and more. However this is what needs to happen for radio in Canada to thrive. 

And now to contradict myself, I am not against technology, syndicated shows within reason,  even some of the ownership consolidation that has taken place.  All of this was inevitable and to complain about radio not being the way it used to be 40 or 50 years ago is pointless and doesn't relate to what radio is now.  I like to reminisce as much as anyone, but also with the understanding that for the most part, those days are gone. 

However, the personality and human voice on the radio is still there, unless it is generated electronically!    Listeners will always be interested in a station and the person behind the microphone who is entertaining, has something to say, and talks about things they relate to, hopefully with a sense of fun and humour. 

And the beauty of it is, you don't even need to do this every break or all the time.  Do the basics and do them well, do some show prep, and the other more challenging stuff will fall into place. 

Last edited by paterson1 (February 13, 2021 6:18 pm)

February 13, 2021 6:20 pm  #4

paterson1 wrote:

radio is still a big deal in many parts of the world 

Everything comes to a halt Saturdays @ 4:00 p.m. up here, as receivers are tuned to Jewel 88.5, bowls of Tortilla chips are laid out, and everyone celebrates radio pioneer Roger Ashby

geo  

February 13, 2021 7:05 pm  #5

paterson1 wrote:

Listeners will always be interested in a station and the person behind the microphone who is entertaining, has something to say, and talks about things they relate to, hopefully with a sense of fun and humour. 

And the beauty of it is, you don't even need to do this every break or all the time.  Do the basics and do them well, do some show prep, and the other more challenging stuff will fall into place. 

Words of wisdom, Paterson. Some people never learn these basics. Nothing is more infectious than a person who obviously is having fun, enjoying what he or she is doing on the air. C-O-M-M-U-N-I-C-A-T-E

February 13, 2021 8:23 pm  #6

I believe this is the 10th World Radio Day being celebrated. I've found in previous years that it's primarily marked overseas in places like Africa and India for some reason and generally hasn't gotten much attention from North American stations - beyond so-called "community" and college outlets. 

So I was pleasantly surprised to hear the same pre-produced spot running Saturday morning on both CFRB and GNR640, marking the celebration. It was short, (30 seconds) but most definitely sweet.

Next to Madame Olga, the family fortune teller, it's still my favorite medium! 

February 13, 2021 9:18 pm  #7

mike marshall wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Listeners will always be interested in a station and the person behind the microphone who is entertaining, has something to say, and talks about things they relate to, hopefully with a sense of fun and humour. 

Words of wisdom, Paterson. Some people never learn these basics. Nothing is more infectious than a person who obviously is having fun, enjoying what he or she is doing on the air. C-O-M-M-U-N-I-C-A-T-E

And you are certainly one who knows all about the importance of communicating Mike.  Much respect to you and thanks for your comment. 

February 13, 2021 9:31 pm  #8

Here's a nice little story for World Radio Day that could only have happened on one medium. It's absolutely amazing they were able to find it!

Vancouver woman finds late father's 37-year-old CBC recording of Danny Boy she never knew existed

February 13, 2021 10:29 pm  #9

Hey RA? Is Madame Olga a size 8? If so, she'd be a medium, Medium.

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

February 14, 2021 12:26 am  #10

She's actually quite tiny and last I heard she was on the run from the cops.

You're being advised to be on the lookout for a small medium at large.

February 15, 2021 4:50 am  #11

paterson1 wrote:

One thing to change?  That's easy, get more local, have more fun and more personal.  That is the big advantage that radio has, being local, serving the public whether good or bad times, having fun and connecting with your audience.

Sounds old fashioned and out of touch, yup.  Sounds hokey, yup.  Sounds too small town, small market, and lacks sophistication, yup.  Doesn't reflect the current market conditions or the world we live in, yup. It is all of those things and more. However this is what needs to happen for radio in Canada to thrive. 

Excellent points you've got there paterson1. Right now there's a real opportunity for radio to reconnect with what is essentially a captive audience during the pandemic, and support them and the community by highlighting local businesses, and things to do in and around the home, and our neighborhoods instead of just repeating the same "stay at home" message and reciting covid case numbers. For example, BlogTO is doing a bang on job of bringing Toronto to Torontonians on Twitter.

We're all (according to the mental health experts) grieving the lives and relationships we had with friends, family and even casual acquaintances before the pandemic. Give listeners the grim news at the top and bottom of the hour, and then provide the best information about living through this.

I noticed 1010 was ginning up their recent newscast with the sound effect of emergency vehicle sirens when reporting on a shooting. Because that will definitely distract from the unattractive changes that have taken place at the station. Yep.

If anything, World Radio Day showed how much love we all still have for it, in all its good, bad and fugly forms.