sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 3, 2016 11:01 am  #1

Spring 2016 Ballot Ratings For Ontario Radio Stations

The Spring 2016 ballot ratings for Ontario radio stations have been released by Numeris. Haven't seen anything here yet, so I thought I'd draw your attention to the results posted on my kowchmedia website

Thanks to a SOWNY reader who reached out to me via email (steve@kowchmedia.com) to tell me that I didn't include the St. Catharines-Niagara and Windsor ratings, those markets have now been added. My apologies. Here is a direct link to the Ontario Ratings Page

You will find rating results for Belleville/Trenton, Guelph, Hamilton, Kingston, Kitchener/Waterloo, London, Oshawa/Whitby, Ottawa/Gatineau, St. Catharines/Niagara and Windsor. The 13 week Spring ratings were conducted between February 29, 2016 and April 24, 2016.

In the markets where Bell Media has radio stations I include results for A12+ and A25-54 demos. Markets where Bell Media isn't present I used Numeris Topline Data which includes only A12+. I don't have a breakdown of different day parts or individual shows.

Interested in ratings outside of Ontario, check the kowchmedia breakdown of the 24 radio stations across Canada 

Spring 2016 PPM ratings are released June 9th for Toronto, Montreal, Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver. kowchmedia will post the A12+ and A25-54 results next Friday. The 13 week Spring PPM ratings were conducted  Feb. 29 - May 29, 2016.

Radio Program Directors use the Spring book to figure out what changes need to be done in time for the Fall ratings. It plays a big role in budget preparations when deciding which shows or hosts are pulling in ratings and those that aren't. Radio likes to disengage from staff before the new fiscal year starts September 1st so as not to carry over the severance expense after August 31st.

The Spring book is also important to radio sales. If the numbers are up they raise their rates which helps meet their budgets. If the numbers are tanking, clients start calling to ask for discounts or make goods - if they don't pull the plug all together. Of course this plays havoc with sales budgets. Sales people want to make their bonuses and this is usually the time for a big push to make budget to get their bonuses. A bad book makes it more difficult to hit budget and get that sales bonus.

Last edited by kowchmedia (June 3, 2016 7:51 pm)