sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 7, 2021 5:26 pm  #1

Swearing On Radio Ads

I can't remember hearing anything quite like this in the past. There are two spots currently running that feature bleeped out but obvious swear words in them.

One of them is a promo for an iHeart podcast that's played often on CFRB. The host talks briefly about what his show is about and then says something like "Fuck me, I'll do it." The F-word is bleeped out, but it's obvious what he's saying. 

The other one is running constantly on 640 for a renovation company. At the very end of it, the guy in charge says the equivalent of "Hire us and get more shit done!" Again, the S-word is censored but it's also very apparent. 

Is this a new trend? I guess I could ask someone at Big Ass Fans, which is also on the naughty side. And to think, several years ago, one SOWNY poster was shocked to hear an ad that had someone saying, "Shut The Front Door!" as a euphemism for a curse word. It works - I remember both announcements, so there's that. But I guess the old standards that used to govern the public airwaves are gone forever. 

Whether that's good or not, I'll leave it up to you to decide. Well, gotta go. There's a rerun of Schitt's Creek on.  

February 8, 2021 10:37 am  #2

Re: Swearing On Radio Ads

Depends who the client's demo is.     Someone under 45 may not care at all, as it's censored as much as most music is now.   If the target is over 45, it's likely not a great idea.  

I think the mood is to sound more authentic and real.   Speak how most speak.

Its all an effort to get attention that normally would just fade in the background.    My biggest issue would be where do we go from here?    Uncensored words?   

Last edited by radiokid (February 8, 2021 10:38 am)

February 8, 2021 11:57 am  #3

On the plus side, if radio decides to treat listeners like grown-ups, copy writers would have a lot more leeway to play. And voice actors could really shine and entertain the audience with a "spot on" delivery. Straight reads are dull for everyone.

Wasn't there a spot a while back, for one of the smaller companies, that was chock full of puns, and clever puns at that. Not Northwood Mortgage, but ???

And that Big Ass Fans spot? As Nero Wolfe would say "Phooey!"

Last edited by betaylored (February 8, 2021 12:02 pm)

February 8, 2021 2:05 pm  #4

we launched mojo with the 'shoot the shit' line, and nobody complained for weeks.  No listener blinked, and all was good till a certain upper manglement US speed bump heard it and didn't like the 'tone'.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

February 8, 2021 3:59 pm  #5

ig wrote:

we launched mojo with the 'shoot the shit' line, and nobody complained for weeks.  No listener blinked, and all was good till a certain upper manglement US speed bump heard it and didn't like the 'tone'.

It depends on the station... I have worked at places that the stupidest things ended up going to the CBSC from a single trouble maker.   Most times they are not even in the demo and only landed on the station scanning the dial or was around someone who was.   With how management is currently, most will bend over that single complaint... which gives these people power in my opinion.    If the complaint is legitimate, then fine.. but a complaint over a already censored word because the listener knows what that word is in their head, I think is a bit rediculous but will happen. 

Last edited by radiokid (February 8, 2021 4:00 pm)

February 8, 2021 4:56 pm  #6

ig wrote:

manglement is a good word for what they do

it's totally idiotic how you can't say shit on-air, but you can say shite, something Mike Stafford used/uses to his advantage

one reason podcasts can be a refreshing change, people can talk like... people

Last edited by betaylored (February 8, 2021 4:57 pm)

February 8, 2021 5:05 pm  #7

I think Schitt's Creek may have partially broken that taboo.

February 8, 2021 6:25 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

I think Schitt's Creek may have partially broken that taboo.

I think you're right RA, I haven't seen it yet, I've been saving for the tail end of winter and can hardly wait to dive in.

That's an area more radio hosts could help their listeners out with, covid coping skills with entertainment, new shows, how you can maximize your library card to get a whack of movies and shows on DVD's, free online courses through Lydia, because I think the average listener is covided out.

Are you guys still listening to as much radio as you were six months ago? I'm not. Too much covid coverage.

Last edited by betaylored (February 8, 2021 6:27 pm)

February 8, 2021 6:31 pm  #9

A number of years ago there was a spot that ran on AM640 for -- I don't quite remember -- Montana's of Kasey's or some restaurant like that.  It was voiced by a lady in a proper British accent and quickly degenerated into a screaming tirade full of bleeped obscenities.  It was quite well done and the bleeping actually made it quite funny.  I had a copy but lost it in a hard drive crash.  Would love to get a copy of it.

Brings to mind the brilliant National Lampoon orange juice commercial.  Here it is -- unbleeped.  I love the stills that the YouTube posted added to the audio.

Last edited by Peter the K (February 8, 2021 6:32 pm)

February 21, 2021 11:39 am  #10

I noticed a recent spot running on repeat on most stations that's the exact opposite of my original concern. It's for Covenant House, a place for homeless youth and what I'm sure is a good cause. 

But although the script is almost exactly the same in the spot, there are two versions running. In one, the announcer asks a series of questions about the victims, ending repeatedly in the phrase, "Would you care? " But then that same spot airs on other stations with the question being "Would you give a damn?"

I don't think "damn" is a terribly offensive word, but whenever I hear these two PSAs, I often wonder how they determine which one runs on which station and when.