sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 25, 2021 12:04 am  #1

The Chief George Armstrong Passes at 90

Very surprising that nothing has been posted here today on the passing of Leaf great George Armstrong.   George spent his whole professional career with the Toronto Maple Leafs and helped to guide the team to four Stanley Cup Championships.   Armstrong played for the Leafs for 21 seasons and 13 of those as captain. 
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/nhl-maple-leafs-george-armstrong-obit-1.5885742  

January 25, 2021 7:53 am  #2

Re: The Chief George Armstrong Passes at 90

My favourite Leaf of all time - a class act. R.I.P. George Armstrong.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

January 25, 2021 9:06 am  #3

Armstrong was one of the few Indigenous players in hockey, especially back then. In a world where everything is under overly intense scrutiny, I wonder if his nickname, "The Chief," would still be considered politically correct today? Perhaps another sign of how much things have changed.

February 5, 2021 12:21 pm  #4

I became a leaf fan in the mid-50s at the age of 4.  At the time we lived on O'Connor drive near Coxwell Ave.  My father who had been a soccer fan all his life immigrated with my mother and I to Canada from Scotland in 1950.  He immediately fell in love with the game and I remember gathering around the radio on game nights to listen to Foster Hewitt's broadcast.  My father who wasn't satisfied with just hearing the game would bundle me up and we would walk to a TV store on Coxwell just south of O'Connor where they had televisions on display in the window.  We would stand shivering looking through the glass at the game on those display models.  My father had to stop bringing me when I couldn't last till the end of the game.  One night after coming home after one of those games he managed to convince my mother to buy a television.  We were incredibly poor then so it meant getting a loan from HFC for $450.00 a huge amount at that time.  George Armstrong became my hero and in 1962 my team won the Stanley Cup.  I was thirteen.  It was such an incredible thrill!  On the day of the ticker tape parade for the champions I grabbed my Kodak Brownie Hawkeye and snapped this photo of my hero.  Harold Ballard is seated to his right and Punch Imlach and King Clancy are in the vehicle behind.