sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 30, 2021 10:22 pm  #1

Why The Shows That Air After The Super Bowl Don’t Often Last

You’re the head programmer at CBS and you just hit the jackpot. Your network has the Super Bowl and you know it’s going to deliver the biggest rating of 2021. Which leads to the inevitable question: what show do you choose to run immediately after it, delivering a guarantee of the largest audience of the year?

The agonizing decision: do you pick an existing show audiences are familiar with or use that platform to launch a brand new show and give it maximum exposure? The game plan seems to change from one season to the next, but this year, CBS has chosen to premiere the remake of “The Equalizer” starring Queen Latifah.

This strategy has been risky in years past. Consider:

-In 1985, ABC debuted a show called “MacGruder And Loud,” an Aaron Spelling drama. It got huge numbers but lasted only 14 episodes.

-In 1990, CBS picked “Grand Slam” to air after the big game. It was cancelled by March, only airing six episodes and leaving two that never made it to air at all.

-A year later, ABC chose a comedy called “Davis Rules.” It didn’t, and was cancelled by ABC, picked up by CBS the following season and then cancelled again for good after that.

-NBC picked the Larry Hagman comedy “The Good Life” to follow SB XVIII in 1994. Thirteen shows later, this Life was over.

-In 2017, the sequel to “24” called “24: Legacy” got its shot on FOX. By April, time had run out.

-And CBS tried a reality show called “The World’s Best” in 2018. The World wasn’t interested.

Still, it’s not always a failure. Fox launched the pilot of Family Guy post-game 1999, and despite its eventual temporary cancellation, it’s still on the air. And the wonderful “Wonder Years” had its first episode air after the championship in 1988. It became a classic.

On the other hand giving the timeslot to an established series almost always works. The biggest audience in post-game history was called “The One After The Super Bowl,” a one-hour “Friends,” which attracted almost 53 million viewers and a 46% share. (There’s a great article about how much pressure those involved with this particular episode were under here.)

“60 Minutes” has been used by CBS three times over the years, always with huge numbers. It did really well with an "All In The Family” show in 1978. “Survivor” made a winner of CBS in 2001. And “This Is Us” made a splash for NBC in 2018.

So CBS is making a big bet with “The Equalizer” next Sunday. We'll have to see if it's still here by this time next year.

And what about CTV? Global has the rights to the Queen Latifah drama, so they can’t simulcast it. What big show have they chosen to debut in the post game timeslot?

The answer is “The Holmes Family Effect,” a new reality show with Mike Holmes. Not exactly the huge attraction you might expect for the biggest timeslot on TV. And personally, I think they’re wasting all those eyeballs. But hey, I’m not going to be watching either of them. Or the Game for that matter.

With everyone else in reruns, it’s a night to catch up on all those unwatched DVR shows. 

January 31, 2021 4:19 pm  #2

Re: Why The Shows That Air After The Super Bowl Don’t Often Last

Wow. talk about a coincidence. This article appeared online just under 24 hours after I wrote the story above. Guess I wasn't the only one thinking about this subject.

Shows That Aired After the Super Bowl: 10 Touchdowns, 5 Fumbles, 1 Field Goal 

January 31, 2021 6:14 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

Wow. talk about a coincidence. This article appeared online just under 24 hours after I wrote the story above. Guess I wasn't the only one thinking about this subject.

RA, leading the way!

February 1, 2021 12:02 pm  #4

I've always wondered about this thing about "Lead in Shows".

One of the reasons given for why Conan O'Brien didn't succeed on the Tonight Show was because Jay Leno's 10pm show wasn't doing well in the ratings, even though the show ended a full 35 minutes before Conan even came on.

I dunno, If you're banking on a ratings boost because people are too lazy to change the channel... maybe that show never should have made it to air in the first place.

February 1, 2021 1:02 pm  #5

i'm guessing it's because these shows are the one that need the most help. new... old... if the show is already a home run, there's no need to have it air after the game. for the shows following the super bowl, it's there first/last chance. for some, it's both.

February 1, 2021 3:02 pm  #6

the original hank wrote:

i'm guessing it's because these shows are the one that need the most help. new... old... if the show is already a home run, there's no need to have it air after the game. for the shows following the super bowl, it's there first/last chance. for some, it's both.

Actually, in my experience, it's been just the opposite, especially when it comes to a new show. This is the chance to get a mega-fueled rocket pad for the launch, The network will air dozens of promos during the game to alert viewers this great new show is coming. Remember, a lot of people watch the Super Bowl ads, so they're bound to see it. And it gives a newcomer the network is hot on a huge advantage, because it always gets perhaps the highest rating it will ever achieve. 

But it also creates the kind of awareness that no other TV property - streaming or otherwise - could ever hope to attract normally. It's why you even see some of the streamers advertise heavily during the Big Game. Eyeballs are eyeballs wherever you find them and you won't ever find as many as you do on that Sunday afternoon. 

The fact that so many of these shows fail is testimony more to the show itself than the exposure they get on SB Sunday. To paraphrase "New York New York," if they can't make it there, they can't make it anywhere.

Obviously, CBS is very high on "The Equalizer," a remake of one of the network's own shows from the past. They're betting the farm on it. It will get watched. But whether it becomes a great crop or comes a cropper remains to be seen. 

February 1, 2021 4:05 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

Didn’t realize Homicide was a Super Bowl start. That kick-started Richard Belzer’s TV career, and today his character John Munch has appeared in at least one episode of more TV series than any other character in TV history. And they’re not all Law & Order spin-offs.

February 1, 2021 10:06 pm  #8

Always remember after the Super Bowl in 2017 when CTV aired a couple of episodes of Letterkenny commercial free and unedited.  Letterkenny was really taking off and at the time and was the most popular program on Crave.  Also the program was getting  rave revues in the US from Rolling Stone and others.  Pretty daring of the network since Letterkenny. although quite funny, is loaded with profanity and a bit rough.  Something that FOX, CBS, ABC or NBC would never show, and if they did the FCC would fine them millions.

Good that this year the network will be showing the first episode of Holmes Family Effect, a much more wholesome and safer offering than Letterkenny. Can't have a much better lead in than the Super Bowl.

February 5, 2021 11:57 am  #9