sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 3, 2021 10:49 pm  #1

Ontario Radio Station Celebrated 90th Birthday Wednesday

Unlike some in the province (I'm looking at you, CFRB, which admittedly does not have much to celebrate right now) a few radio stations here actually mark their major milestones. Which brings us to CKPR in Thunder Bay, which feted its 90th birthday on Wednesday, and made a big (and promotable) deal out of it. 

Even though it's now on FM, the station traces its lineage all the way back to its start on AM in 1931. Pretty impressive. 

CKPR Radio celebrates 90th birthday

February 3, 2021 11:47 pm  #2

Re: Ontario Radio Station Celebrated 90th Birthday Wednesday

Hi RA,
Yes 580 CKPR, and since I worked at the TV side of things part-time, everybody knew everybody in the building known as the "Hill"   And who could forget the "master of the morning", Don Percy who piloted the ship, until 8:45 am, then arrived at 9 am for his radio class at Confederation College, my first radio instructor.   He would occasionally bring CKPR PD Ray Dee into lab class at night.    Great memories!

February 4, 2021 11:34 am  #3

Re: Ontario Radio Station Celebrated 90th Birthday Wednesday

Happy Birthday CKPR Radio!  This was my first full time job right out of college.  Hired by Ray Dee back in 
April 1977, stayed in Thunder Bay and 87 North Hill St. until November 1979.

580/CKPR had a top 40 format and the first time I heard the station, it was a little intimidating.  580 had good jingles, good on air talent, punchy sound and echo.  CKPR at times sounded almost major market and was number one in a vibrant city of 115,000 with five radio stations.  We were also very popular in Haughton Michigan where we had a clear signal across Lake Superior.  

Had the pleasure of working with great people like Ray Dee, Ron Bottos, Ken James, Chris Duncan, Ron Kronstein, Jeff Sandler, Roxanne Davidson, Dan Bonk, B. Mason Dean, June Andrazichyan, Don Shuttleworth, Eric Gordon, Doug Ellis, Paul Mahon, Diana McQuaig, Jim Lysak, Bob MacDonald, George Burns, Craig Perdue, Mike Barnes, Dave Lemke and many more.  Sorry anyone I missed. 

A nice surprise was Thunder Bay itself.  A fun and active place to live in when you are young.  When I landed in town on a Saturday afternoon and visited the station, I was immediately taken out drinking to a bar outside of the city near Kakabeka Falls by about four on staff.  Almost seemed like they were waiting for the new guy. The beer I was given to drink was Kakabeka Cream Ale, made by Thunder Bay's Doran's brewery.  And being in Northern Ontario, it seemed as if pot was legalized even in 1977!

One of the first questions they asked me was if I liked to ski.  I said I had only skied a few times.  Well, I was told, you will ski a lot living here.  Candy Mountain Ski Resort allowed CKPR staff free skiing all season long.  And when I took up squash at Lakehead University, when they recognized my name from the radio, I was given a free membership for the athletic centre.  I thought to myself, man I love this town!!

CKPR was a fantastic place to learn your trade, experiment on air, refine your style.   Ray gave us the freedom to do this.   As he would say from time to time...."just don't lose the fucking license.."

Didn't make a lot of money at CKPR, and I didn't care.  I was having the time of my life doing what I loved.  Nothing but good memories and tons of fun at a great station, with great people in a great city.  

Happy Birthday  my friend!

Last edited by paterson1 (February 4, 2021 4:43 pm)