sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 31, 2021 9:51 am  #1

Laid Back Mike Marshall Aircheck From CKFH Now Online

He worked at the Big 8 and CFTR, both rock stations. But if you ever wondered what a mellow Mike Marshall sounds like, here's your chance to find out. The esteemed SOWNY member turns up on Dale Patterson's always great RockRadioScrapbook.ca aircheck of the week. It's from 1980.

Mike Marshall on CKFH

January 31, 2021 1:38 pm  #2

Re: Laid Back Mike Marshall Aircheck From CKFH Now Online

Thanks, RA, for the mention. I always enjoyed a chance to do MOR. Hell, I was always happy to have
a job!
The "laid back" should not have been a surprise. My first job was at middle-of-the road C-HOW, Welland when still in high school, next stop was K-W's MOR CKKW, then CHML in Hamilton. Didn't do Top 40
until after that, at both CHED and CJCA in Edmonton.
Two of my favourite formats came at the end -- CHFI and Smooth Jazz WAVE 94.7. Fun career.

Edit -- Thanks to Dale, too!

Last edited by mike marshall (January 31, 2021 1:40 pm)

January 31, 2021 5:22 pm  #3

The real kudos should go to Don Shuttleworth, who donated this aircheck as well as many others over the years. Always nice to get some CKFH and especially Mike Marshall. Next week, an aircheck from "The Voice" himself, CHUM's Bob Laine, on February 6, 1965, as donated by Doug Thompson in the CHUM Archives.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

January 31, 2021 6:05 pm  #4

Dale Patterson wrote:

The real kudos should go to Don Shuttleworth, who donated this aircheck as well as many others over the years.

Good point, Dale. Thanks, Don!

February 2, 2021 9:41 am  #5

Always great to hear Mike Marshall, a man I had the good fortune to work with at CFTR. Mike had a skill that was unique in my experience. He worked with a radio on, a kind of foldback system , and didn't wear headphones. What was amazing to me was how he could tell if mic levels were good or not. I worked at a different station where we had to work that way and I found it difficult to determine levels. I hope he and Val (another favourite) are doing well.

February 2, 2021 12:28 pm  #6

Thanks, Rune. Both doing well. Hope you're coping with COVID, too.
Eventually, once on FM, was able to lose the radio and go to a single earbud with R and L fed into one side. Never used a board feed, always listened off air with at least one ear free to enable a more natural,
for me, on-air approach. Eliminated sounding affected (I hoped).

February 2, 2021 9:36 pm  #7

I worked with Mike at CJCA Edmonton.  He had a great ear for production as well.  We put together a couple of pretty cool news promos. I left for CHUM at the end of January 1965 and sometime after that, Mike moved to CHED until he became Frank Brodie at the legendary CKLW.  In 1970, I was driving back to Toronto from LA.  Didn't have much money and no credit cards and I called Mike when I got to Detroit.  I was worn out.  He let me sleep on his couch and I think I was out for 18 hours.  Never forgot Mike for his kindness and hospitality.  

Last edited by Doug Thompson (February 2, 2021 9:45 pm)

February 3, 2021 10:56 am  #8

It should be said, as a result, we were able to sell that couch at a handsome profit!

Seriously, we were very touched by your message, Doug. Be well.

February 3, 2021 2:15 pm  #9

Mike Marshall - as Frank Brodie - is on fire on this aircheck from CKLW. One of many great talents on The Big 8 from 1969:

http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/cklw-brodie-sep17-69-2-s.mp3

February 3, 2021 2:24 pm  #10

And Mike Marshall under his real name at CFTR a decade later, followed by Dan Williamson.

http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/cftrmagnet.gif">

Last edited by Dale Patterson (February 3, 2021 2:24 pm)

February 3, 2021 2:28 pm  #11

Mike Marshall is a terrific radio name on its own. It just happens to be real.

I, for one, would love to know the origin of the "Frank Brodie" monicker. 

February 3, 2021 3:39 pm  #12

The "Brodie" came from former San Francisco '49ers quarterback John Brodie.

February 4, 2021 1:34 am  #13

There seem to be two tales regarding the birth of Frank Brodie. Both came from Paul Drew, who hired me at CKLW.
He told me at the time that I wouldn't be able to use my real name because Mike Rivers was doing afternoon drive
and Marshall Armstrong was on the air in the newsroom.
That same Mike Rivers wrote much later on the Big 8 Tribute Web site that Drew had told him that he felt that Mike Marshall sounded too much like a "radio name."
Whatever, Paul gave me a chance to pick a new name, so I told him I'd like to use my two middle names, John Brodie. He wasn't crazy about that, because Brodie, 49er's QB, came into town once every two years to play the
Lions. He liked Brodie, though, but picked Frank the next morning and had Bill Drake cut my breaks before any further input from me.

February 4, 2021 1:51 am  #14

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

I don't know you well Mike, but I've always liked your work, respected your taste in music, and really appreciated how humble you are. Your humility has been evident in the way you've responded to this thread.

Tim, I've always felt we were birds of feather, reading and agreeing with your comments over the years here. Good reasons to be delighted by your words above. Blew me away. Hope all is well.