sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 2, 2021 11:58 am  #1

New CFRB Voice Went From TV Anchor To Radio Newscaster

I heard Colton Praill doing a newscast on CFRB Tuesday morning. I believe he's the same broadcaster who used to be a news anchor at Global TV in Regina. His Linked-In page still lists him as being there, but the Global website doesn't.

He sounded pretty good, but it got me thinking about people who switch media. It's common for people to go from radio to TV. It doesn't seem to go in the other direction too often. There are a few I can think of off the top of my head who've wound up on the small speaker after being on the big screen.

Claude Feig, who used to do sports on CTV Toronto is one. He's now a regular on weekends and elsewhere on 'RB. 

Gord Martineau started in radio in Montreal, before moving into a long career as a TV news anchor, mostly at City TV but also with brief stops at CFTO and Global. Since he retired, he does a weekly sponsored show on Jewel 88.5 on Sunday mornings.

And in the late 70s, Tom Gould went from CTV to CKEY, doing a nightly 5 PM drivetime newscast.  

I'm sure there are others who were on TV and wound up on radio, but none of them come immediately to mind. Perhaps some here can fill in my memory gap.

In the meantime, I wonder if Mr. Praill has his eye on a position at CTV Toronto at some point? Being in the organization is certainly a good place to start.

February 2, 2021 12:08 pm  #2

Re: New CFRB Voice Went From TV Anchor To Radio Newscaster

I believe he is reading copy out of Ottawa.

https://twitter.com/ColtonPraill/status/1334919918345740291?s=20

Perhaps the 1010 news staff are in a meeting...

February 2, 2021 12:25 pm  #3

67GreenRambler wrote:

I believe he is reading copy out of Ottawa.

https://twitter.com/ColtonPraill/status/1334919918345740291?s=20

Perhaps the 1010 news staff are in a meeting...

Interesting to hear that. Any such "meeting" following what happened at CJAD would make me very nervous, indeed.  

February 2, 2021 12:53 pm  #4

67  Green Rambler you just might be right about the news meeting at 1010.   I have heard the hammer has fallen at Bell stations in Toronto, with possibly more than 200 people gone between CTV Toronto, CP 24 and NT 1010.   No details as of yet.

February 2, 2021 2:02 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

I heard Colton Praill doing a newscast on CFRB Tuesday morning. I believe he's the same broadcaster who used to be a news anchor at Global TV in Regina. His Linked-In page still lists him as being there, but the Global website doesn't.

He sounded pretty good, but it got me thinking about people who switch media. It's common for people to go from radio to TV. It doesn't seem to go in the other direction too often. There are a few I can think of off the top of my head who've wound up on the small speaker after being on the big screen.

There's been a few TV-to-radio moves over the years in London. Bob Smith was on CFPL-TV for many years, as a reporter and noon anchor, and after being laid off in 2009 he resurfaced at AM 980. I haven't been back to London in awhile but one of the last times I was there Bob was on 980. George Clark was another, he was CFPL-TV's news director for many years and co-anchored for a few years alongside Kate Young. He also later resurfaced at AM 980 and hosted a call-in show for a few years. And still at CFPL-TV, longtime sports anchor Pete James started there in the 60s, laid off in the late 90s and later resurfaced on CJBK. I don't think he's at 1290 anymore but as of a year ago he was still appearing on London Knights broadcasts on Rogers TV. Further back in history I believe Bill Brady worked on both radio and TV, and of course there was Bob Macadorey who went from radio to TV.

Nationally there was also Peter Gzowski, who was on CBC Radio for many years but also made a brief jump into TV to host a late-night show that I believe went up against Johnny Carson - and didn't last.

On the west coast where I live, the best-known example is Bill Good Jr., who has anchored on three different television stations, was on CKNW for many years and to this day still does a daily commentary on News 1130.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (February 2, 2021 2:04 pm)

February 2, 2021 3:12 pm  #6

MJ Vancouver wrote:

On the west coast where I live, the best-known example is Bill Good Jr., who has anchored on three different television stations, was on CKNW for many years and to this day still does a daily commentary on News 1130.

Jr. appears regularly on a taped commercial on Bloomberg shilling for an investment product.     Tied for annoyance with the Sure Health/Greenshields Canada guy.    Jr.'s late Dad must be rolling in embarrassment

February 2, 2021 3:16 pm  #7

Just noticed Dana Levenson doing commercials for one of those money lending places, Capital Direct. She spent almost 20 years at CTV Toronto as on-air reporter/weather anchor. She left in 2019 and is now doing a podcast. After today, I'm betting she's glad she got out when she did. 

February 2, 2021 3:33 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

Just noticed Dana Levenson doing commercials for one of those money lending places, Capital Direct. She spent almost 20 years at CTV Toronto as on-air reporter/weather anchor. She left in 2019 and is now doing a podcast. After today, I'm betting she's glad she got out when she did. 

Bill Good Jr. does the same ads in BC.

Incidentally, veteran anchor Tony Parsons is pitching hearing aids on TV these days. (He was on CFTO in the 70s prior to his long career in BC)

February 2, 2021 5:57 pm  #9

Remembering Milt Conway (Uncle Milty) going from CKVR TV to CHAY-FM in Barrie, ON