sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 2, 2021 12:58 pm  #1

Big Bell Bloodbath Hits Properties In Toronto - 210 Positions Cut

According to Cartt.ca, at least 210 positions have been eliminated at Bell properties in Toronto, including CFRB and CTV. No word yet on who, but many are said to be in the newsrooms.

February 2, 2021 1:32 pm  #2

Re: Big Bell Bloodbath Hits Properties In Toronto - 210 Positions Cut

February 2, 2021 1:40 pm  #3

There isn't much to say about how horrible this is for so many and my heart goes out to them, especially at a time where so many jobs have already disappeared.

But it's also hard for the survivors. I remember being left out of a bloodletting at a station chain I worked at many years ago. We were called to one of those huge boardroom meetings, with practically the entire staff there knowing the axe was falling. 

As management tried to explain how good this would be overall for the company, many of us looked around to see who wasn't there.

Those who don't get cut will return to a very dispirited and unhappy workplace, one part relieved that they escaped, but the other part distraught at the carnage and the extra work that's coming. It's a quiet place where gloom will be the major emotion for a while.

It is tough enough to work during the pandemic.

It's going to be even worse now. 

February 2, 2021 2:05 pm  #4

In another thread I made a not so flippant quip about the yearly tradition of bell lets talk day followed by the inevitable cuts.  I didn't think it would mean this kind of bloodbath.  Kinda wish I kept my mouth shut.

Condolences to all involved -- however it may be.

I feel awful.

February 2, 2021 2:30 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

Those who don't get cut will return to a very dispirited and unhappy workplace, one part relieved that they escaped, but the other part distraught at the carnage and the extra work that's coming. It's a quiet place where gloom will be the major emotion for a while. 

Well said. 

In my experience such culls never result in improved efficiency or productivity. Stuff just doesn't get done, or is done to a much lower standard. To the MBAs at Bell: enjoy your bonuses this year. It will certainly cost the company more in the long run.

February 2, 2021 2:33 pm  #6

I just noticed one of the first possible effects of what happened today. Evan Solomon took his network break at 1:30 PM. Where there would normally have been a two-minute newscast, there was only a traffic report, followed by endless spots.

Sounds like the cutbacks are already being felt on air.   

February 2, 2021 2:37 pm  #7

Chrisphen wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Well said. 

In my experience such culls never result in improved efficiency or productivity. Stuff just doesn't get done, or is done to a much lower standard. To the MBAs at Bell: enjoy your bonuses this year. It will certainly cost the company more in the long run.

I remember how quiet the newsroom seemed after the cuts were announced at my shop. True, there were a lot fewer people to make that noise, but there was also a cloud of silence that hovered over the place. It took a long time for it to go away and I'm not entirely sure it ever did. I guess with so many working from home (or now, not working), it may not be quite the same thing. But the emotional fallout is still there.

February 2, 2021 2:39 pm  #8

Anyone know of a good alternative to Bell TV?

Has anyone tried Comwave?

Last edited by Broodcaster (February 3, 2021 10:22 am)

February 2, 2021 2:42 pm  #9

Broodcaster wrote:

Anyone know of a good alternative to Bell TV?

Sadly, no. Bell TV is the only choice you have, unless you want Rogers Ignite TV.

You can go the IPTV route, but if you do that, you're still giving money to Bell or Rogers for good quality internet.
THAT
Or the internet you choose is most likely renting lines from Bell or Rogers anyway.  (something like that...)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 2, 2021 2:43 pm  #10

You can always try Teksavvy TV, if it's available in your area. Not sure if the program line-up or the cost is what you're looking for, but they're my ISP and I've always found them helpful in answering my questions and sorting out any issues. Although I don't use them for TV services. Plus, their tech people are all based in Canada, which these days is a bonus.  

Teksavvy TV 

Channel Lineup

February 2, 2021 2:57 pm  #11

RadioActive wrote:

You can always try Teksavvy TV, if it's available in your area. Not sure if the program line-up or the cost is what you're looking for, but they're my ISP and I've always found them helpful in answering my questions and sorting out any issues. Although I don't use them for TV services. Plus, their tech people are all based in Canada, which these days is a bonus.  
Teksavvy TV 
Channel Lineup

TekSavvy Solutions Inc. is a Canadian residential, business, and wholesale telecommunications company based in ChathamOntario. In most of the country, it is a wholesale-network-access-based service provider and voice reseller, connecting its service to existing last mile networks from telecom carriers Bell Canada[/url] (including Bell Aliant) and Telus Communications, and cable carriers [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogers_Communications]Rogers CommunicationsCogeco CableShaw and Vidéotron. However, in parts of rural southwestern Ontario, the service is provided over TekSavvy's own fixed wireless network (branded as "Sky Fi").

Source:  
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TekSavvy

February 2, 2021 3:12 pm  #12

Yes, I'm well aware of that, but at least it's arms length from the Bastards at Bell. If you want an Internet connection, it's piggybacked from either Bell, Rogers or, if you're in the right place, Telus. But there's no practical way to avoid them, so I picked a company at the farthest point away from them.

They rent space on their network. But Teksavvy's business policies are far from what Bell believes in and that's why I stay with them. As far as I'm concerned, I pay Teksavvy, not Bell.  

TeksavvyTV is provided by Hastings Cable Vision and is also at arm's length from Bell or Rogers. 

It's one of the main reasons I have a TV antenna!

February 2, 2021 3:20 pm  #13

To all those cut today: don't sign anything!  See a lawyer first. It's Bell, so they'll lowball you as much as possible. Get some professional advice before deciding if that severance is fair.

I'm guessing the next few editions of Howard Levitt and Lior Samfiru will be filled with new callers!

How ironic would it be if fired CFRB workers phoned into the regular Levitt segment on Agar's show looking for advice?

February 2, 2021 5:42 pm  #14

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

February 2, 2021 5:57 pm  #15

Sounds like the half hour newscast is gone, along with whoever was reading it. I worry that Bell has gutted the place. 

February 2, 2021 6:34 pm  #16

The new voice doing news all day - one Colton Praill - is apparently not only out of CFRA in Ottawa, but also on tape.

At various times in the afternoon, I heard him give the weather even as he was starting the news, essentially magically talking over himself. Then, on the 5 PM cast, he noted that the next newscast would be heard at 4 o'clock, an hour earlier. 

Also no David McKee? Interesting to see if he was one of those let go.

It would also appear they may have someone new on the board. I've heard the traffic reporter buried, then only half of her report come on air, late stingers, and other mistakes you almost never hear on CFRB. I don't blame whoever it is - they're probably not familiar with the busy afternoon drivetime show or its rhythm. But it's only been less than a day and already the cuts are affecting the on-air sound.  

February 2, 2021 6:44 pm  #17

Ted Woloshyn reports on Facebook that his show has been cancelled.

February 2, 2021 6:49 pm  #18

The CFRB newsroom in days or yore...

Last edited by Dale Patterson (February 2, 2021 7:39 pm)

February 2, 2021 6:56 pm  #19

Reports indicate that, among those gone from 'RB are on air reporters/newscasters Russ Courtney (their morning anchor!), Haley Cooper, Claude Feig and Lucas Meyer, who just this morning was credited with a big news scoop on Moore in the Morning. 

Ah well, what have they done for Bell lately? 

Twitter message from Feig:

"Today, after 4 years, I was one of the many radio and TV people let go in #Toronto A big thank you to everyone @NEWSTALK1010 for your hard work and dedication. On to the next chapter."

From Lucas Meyer:

"No regrets. Thank you all."

Looks like David McKee is gone, too. Not on his regular 6 PM news and views segment.

Some on Twitter are saying the entire newsroom has been wiped out. 

Last edited by RadioActive (February 2, 2021 7:01 pm)

February 2, 2021 7:03 pm  #20

It's the same old story. As they grow, corporations buy up the competition to 'make things better for all', but inevitably slash and burn to 'rationalise' costs. When they get really big, they buy anything remotely related to their original business model (remember when Bell was landline telephones?), all in the name of synergy. Now there's a buzzword.

As the radio and TV outlets, created and managed by actual media types, fade into the distant past, the suits look at the assets and talent as purely line-items on a balance sheet. Then, eventually, when they have swung enough axes to please their CEO, the 'downsizing-MBAs' are also shown the door.

Then, what's left is not worthy of its roots, the public turns away, and the whole thing dies a pathetic death. Stir, reheat, and play it again, Sam.

February 2, 2021 7:09 pm  #21

Dale Patterson wrote:

The CFRB newsroom is days or yore...

In this day and age, the first thing I think of when I see a photo like that is a Covid superspreader event. They're not even wearing masks!

/s

February 2, 2021 7:18 pm  #22

Gene Valaitis writes on FB...

"The CFRB and CJAD Newsrooms. Wiped out. 210 Bell employees gone. Most fired 3 employees at a time over automated robo conference calls."

February 2, 2021 7:56 pm  #23

Dale Patterson wrote:

Gene Valaitis writes on FB...

"The CFRB and CJAD Newsrooms. Wiped out. 210 Bell employees gone. Most fired 3 employees at a time over automated robo conference calls."

Robo calls? It's bad enough losing your job. But why can't the exits be done with some dignity?

February 2, 2021 8:07 pm  #24

If you still believe that Colton Praill, apparently the last and only remaining CFRB newsperson based at CFRA, is doing his thing live, consider this: he's been doing every hourly newscast since 10 AM. He just "did" the 7, which makes his shift currently at 9 hours and counting. 

February 2, 2021 8:07 pm  #25

No Barb DiGiulio at 7. I'm guessing she's among the casualties. 

She's still listed as being on the air on the NewsTalk1010 website. (Ironic, that word "news" in the phrase.) I'm guessing they either forgot to alter the site - or there's no one left to make the change. 

A reroll of John Moore is in her place. It would appear their regular live programing now ends at 7 PM. Will Jamil Jivani still appear at 10? At least he's on a network, so maybe they'll think he's worth the money - one salary for many stations. That all Bell cares about. 

For whom the Bell tolls, indeed. 

Last edited by RadioActive (February 2, 2021 8:13 pm)

February 2, 2021 8:08 pm  #26

Chrisphen wrote:

He was the only enjoyably listenable host they had.   

Chrisphen:   are you not leaving yourself open to rebuttal that with only one listenable host, many of those positions would not be required?

February 2, 2021 8:10 pm  #27

Monday:  Entire CJAD Newsroom fired.
Tuesday: Entire CFRB Newsroom fired.

The bean counters are still counting beans.

February 2, 2021 8:14 pm  #28

Dale, thank you very much for that classic photograph of the CFRB Newsroom.

February 2, 2021 8:36 pm  #29

February 2, 2021 8:50 pm  #30

betaylored wrote:

Chrisphen, could you please delete this out of respect for John? I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Done. If it matters. He is still good, however.