sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 23, 2021 7:28 pm  #1

Washington Post tells talk radio hosts-tone down stolen election talk

There is definitely a trend to silencing those who are disagreeing with the current government in the U.S. With various sites being removed on social media and sites like Parlor being banned by carriers like Apple and Google...but Radio Ink reports that the Washington Post is urging radio talk show hosts to tone down the stolen election rhetoric. 

It is a little bit of strong arming to me. A definite difference in what's allowed in the media south of the border lately, both mainstream and social media...

Here's more on this in this week's Radio Ink.

https://radioink.com/2021/01/21/washington-post-targets-talk-radio/

Comment away. 

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

January 23, 2021 9:46 pm  #2

Re: Washington Post tells talk radio hosts-tone down stolen election talk

Disagreeing would be fine.
Knowingly spreading lies is different.

January 23, 2021 10:00 pm  #3

Freedom of speech is not freedom to lie.  The election was not stolen from Trump, so that is why conservative hosts are being told by their employers and others to move on.  And it has nothing to do with disagreeing with the new US government.   Trump lost, you may not like it, but that is life.  That's how freedom and democracy works, some win and some lose.  Move on.

Having opinions and being opinionated is fine, just be honest and factual.  And if you are wrong or have been proven incorrect, admit your mistake, take responsibility be an adult and yes, move on.

This has not been happening so far, and hosts, many conservative  continue to say that the election was rigged and Trump was robbed.  They have had months to prove these claims and have come up shooting blanks.  Even conservative judges appointed by Trump ruled over and over there was no case.  Move on and stop peddling rumours and lies.  And this applies to both the right and left. 

Below is a big reason why US society is polarized,  and sadly it is courtesy of the FCC. This is largely why  some very popular US news media organizations have turned into all opinion and non factual news/entertainment with little regard to honesty and freedom.    This from wikipedia.  The fairness doctrine of the United States Federal Communications Commission (FCC), introduced in 1949, was a policy that required the holders of broadcast licenses to both present controversial issues of public importance and to do so in a manner that was honest, equitable, and balanced. The FCC eliminated the policy in 1987 and removed the rule that implemented the policy from the Federal Register in August 2011.[1][/url]The fairness doctrine had two basic elements: It required broadcasters to devote some of their airtime to discussing controversial matters of public interest, and to air contrasting views regarding those matters. Stations were given wide latitude as to how to provide contrasting views: It could be done through news segments, public affairs shows, or editorials. The doctrine did not require equal time for opposing views but required that contrasting viewpoints be presented. The demise of this FCC rule has been considered by some to be a contributing factor for the rising level of party polarization in the United States.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCC_fairness_doctrine#cite_note-2][2][/url][url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCC_fairness_doctrine#cite_note-3][3]

January 23, 2021 10:19 pm  #4

+1 for paterson1.  I don't understand why ultra-defenders of free speech think that what you say should be completely unadulterated.  When something is a lie, or hurts someone, that's where the line should stop.

However, there are some people, including radio friends I have on Facebook, that really believe in all of the election theft conspiracy and everything else far-right.  I posted a picture exclaiming my joy over the swearing in of Kamala Harris (more for the historical aspects of it - not the politics).  I was was spammed with all sorts of angry comments from my friends who sit on the far right.  They were extremely insulting, telling me I don't have a clue, or that I don't know what I'm talking about.

And yet, I wasn't even inviting these comments by anything I said.  I was simply happy to see a female person of colour be sworn in as vice president.  The responders were just angry that I won't get sucked in to their Trump-lovin' Dem-hating mindset.  It makes me reconsider social media, and its toxicity.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

January 24, 2021 10:04 am  #5

Jody Thornton wrote:

+1 for paterson1.  I don't understand why ultra-defenders of free speech think that what you say should be completely unadulterated.  When something is a lie, or hurts someone, that's where the line should stop.

However, there are some people, including radio friends I have on Facebook, that really believe in all of the election theft conspiracy and everything else far-right.  I posted a picture exclaiming my joy over the swearing in of Kamala Harris (more for the historical aspects of it - not the politics).  I was was spammed with all sorts of angry comments from my friends who sit on the far right.  They were extremely insulting, telling me I don't have a clue, or that I don't know what I'm talking about.

And yet, I wasn't even inviting these comments by anything I said.  I was simply happy to see a female person of colour be sworn in as vice president.  The responders were just angry that I won't get sucked in to their Trump-lovin' Dem-hating mindset.  It makes me reconsider social media, and its toxicity.

re: Jody: " I was was spammed with all sorts of angry comments from my friends who sit on the far right.  They were extremely insulting, telling me I don't have a clue, or that I don't know what I'm talking about."

It's sad Jody but some people really do embrace being deplorable.

About the only positive is they've put it out for all to see what their true character, or lack thereof,  is.   As I could no longer trust their value systems, they'd play a diminished role in my life.  They don't respect you, so why should you respect them?   

January 24, 2021 10:24 am  #6

Being deplorable is unacceptable...being a liar is intolerable !!!

January 24, 2021 11:47 am  #7

Words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls

Paul & Art

January 24, 2021 1:08 pm  #8

Jody Thornton wrote:

...I was was spammed with all sorts of angry comments from my friends who sit on the far right.  They were extremely insulting, telling me I don't have a clue, or that I don't know what I'm talking about.

Sadly, Jody, they were acquaintances, not true friends. Sane people tend to have sane friends. When someone you perceived to be a friend reacts as a Jim Jones cultist, and is upset that you refuse to drink "the koolaid", they are proving to be unworthy of your friendship.

I have slimmed down my friendship list somewhat, during the last 5.5 years. Not all who have been 'down-sized' are Americans either. Several Canadian 'friends' have caught the disease as well.

Intellectually, they are smart enough to know they've been fooled by the best conman in living memory, but emotionally they can't help themselves. Several posters who, by their very posts here, hewed to the tRump cult have posted nothing, or very little, since a) his election loss, or b) since the tRump-incited insurrection at the Capitol. I wonder why? Are they re-thinking their position, or are they pouting?

Our loss? Perhaps, given their lengthy and varied background in broadcasting, but damn I wish aging males (like me) would think before they fall for the big con.

(Author's Note: The above opinion piece is refective of the author only. Management and other participants here may not necessarily agree.)

January 24, 2021 1:45 pm  #9

Dial Twister wrote:

Our loss? Perhaps, given their lengthy and varied background in broadcasting, but damn I wish aging males (like me) would think before they fall for the big con.

(Author's Note: The above opinion piece is refective of the author only. Management and other participants here may not necessarily agree.)

Well thanks to everyone for their supportive words.  The hardest part is these are announcers I REALLY looked up to growing up, so to be told off by one of them, in addition to being told off by a non-radio friend was a tad hard.  But yes, the announcers are acquaintances.  I understand being angry at the radio industry perhaps, but to be so angry at the whole world for whatever they might've gone through, I wonder what might've transpired for that change of heart to happen.

Thanks everyone.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

January 24, 2021 2:33 pm  #10

Jody, I completely agree with what you did and how you feel about all of this as well. What's especially ironic about this is that even Mike Pence made a point of congratulating Kamala Harris on the historic nature of her nomination during their VP debate, and I saw how he was equally gracious towards her at the inauguration -- although I'm sure that the people who criticized you hated that as well. It's sad to see how negative some people are about things like this (and the world in general), but if they don't want to be friends with you as a result of what you did, it's their loss. 

Last edited by Lorne (January 24, 2021 3:58 pm)

January 24, 2021 3:40 pm  #11

Lorne wrote:

...What's especially ironic about this is that even Mike Pence made a point of congratulating Kamala Harris on the historic nature of her nomination during their VP debate, and I'm sure he was equally gracious towards her at the inauguration -- although I'm sure that the people who criticized you hated that as well...

The insurrectionist mob loved Mike Pence, as long as Mike Pence did Dear Leader's bidding. As soon as Pence indicated that he would obey his oath, by following the Constitution on the Electoral College vote count, while defying the illegal requests of Dear Leader, the 'so-called' Constitution-loving mob turned on him too.

"Hang Mike Pence. Hang Mike Pence.". And, if they could have gotten to him, they would have hung him. Anyone still undecided on whether it's a cult or not?

Geesh! I have many American friends who are long past embarrassment into full-on disgust at what has happened to their country. The climb back up will be long and hard.

January 24, 2021 4:09 pm  #12

Jody Thornton wrote:

Dial Twister wrote:

Well thanks to everyone for their supportive words.  The hardest part is these are announcers I REALLY looked up to growing up, so to be told off by one of them, in addition to being told off by a non-radio friend was a tad hard.  But yes, the announcers are acquaintances.  I understand being angry at the radio industry perhaps, but to be so angry at the whole world for whatever they might've gone through, I wonder what might've transpired for that change of heart to happen.

Thanks everyone.

I have noticed, and Jody mentioned this above, that more than a few radio retirees seem very bitter.  Often these are people that were either in news or announcers, sometimes middle management.

I have always wondered if it was an ego thing, many tend to be know-it-alls and have very strong opinions on a lot of topics.  But when they start talking about their years in radio they come across as people with a chip on their shoulder and in many ways haven't really moved on in life.  They seem to be nursing grudges and don't have much good to say about the stations or people they worked with during their careers.

Can't imagine going through life that way, to be locked in such a negative mind set.  It's sad when you think you know someone and you witness a whole different and very unflattering side to them.  Trying to help people or give them something else to consider and they just blow you off or don't want to hear another opinion.

These are people that make others listen over and over to their opinions and feelings on topics but don't want to hear anything that isn't in line with what they believe. Often they assume that you agree with them.  Even the mere mention of a name or group they don't like and they feel compelled every time to say something negative or to belittle that person or group with unflattering comments.