sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 16, 2021 8:00 pm  #1

Salary

At the risk of seeming to be 'all about the money', I'm curious as to the salaries that GTA Top 40 stations paid their talent in the late 60s and 70s. I started a full time sales job in 1972 for $9600. a year. Plant Managers made $20,000 or so. Outside of Wally Crouter and Jay Nelson, what did the air talent of the day earn?

January 20, 2021 3:17 pm  #2

Re: Salary

Great question! As a long-time radio fan and wannabe announcer, I've often wondered.

A Sudbury, Ontario buddy of mine from back then was selling life insurance and signed up the evening DJ at the local radio station. My friend was astonished at how little the DJ was being paid, compared to his perceived status.

January 20, 2021 6:33 pm  #3

In my part time "Day Job", I often get told that I have a great voice and I should be on radio.  My response is always, "Thanks, but I wouldn't want the cut in pay."

Even though it usually brings out a laugh.  The sad thing is, it's true.

Last edited by Peter the K (January 20, 2021 6:34 pm)

January 20, 2021 7:00 pm  #4

Yes on air in radio especially in the small and often medium markets not really the best paying profession.  Television pays better even in smaller markets. Got to go to the large medium and majors to make reasonable money on air or get into sales or management.

January 20, 2021 7:41 pm  #5

Spent from the late 70's to 2007 in small, medium and major Ontario markets in television on air, and I can say the salaries paid were pretty good and even very good in Toronto by comparison to other professions.
What really shocked me though was the pay grade when I finally had a chance to work in radio.   It is where I hoped to work and as my career was winding down I had the opportunity to work for Corus in a medium market central Ontario cluster of stations.   This would have been starting in 2010.  It is true I would have done it for lunch money and that is exactly what they were paying. 
Weekend mornings, and swing shifts doing news for 3 stations, rising out of bed at 4:30 am for $14.00 an hour.   
Just $2.00 an hour above minimum wage.      
I did it for about 5 years strictly for love, and then got blown out along with a few others at the time.
I guess the brains at Corus figured we were making too much $$$.    LOL.

January 20, 2021 8:26 pm  #6

I spent 20 years in the business and also taught at a post-secondary institution.  One class, I brought in a station vice-president to talk to the students.  He was asked what was the starting salary for a board operator.
Without hesitation he said "minimum wage and all the records you can eat."