sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 19, 2016 9:18 am  #1

The Future of Radio is...Talent. Really!?

From today’s Broadcast Dialogue:

“…Consultant and author of Beyond Powerful Radio Valerie Geller said, “Our business is based on talent. You can get the music elsewhere, you can get the news and information elsewhere, you can get data elsewhere. You can’t get the personality, the storyteller, the holding up a mirror reflecting life or this person’s talking to me. If you’ve ever felt alone in a room or alone in a car and suddenly you hit the button and you’re not alone anymore, you get what a personality on the radio can do for you.” Ronnie Stanton, VP radio programming at Corus Radio, added, “With so many platforms to hear your favourite songs, what we do between the records is even more important than ever whether it’s production elements or the great stars that become the faces of your brand…”

Does anyone believe this? Dozens of talented radio people have been fired or ‘restructured’ over the past few years alone. Rerolls after 7pm everywhere, more re-rolls, voice-tracking and paid programming on weekends, gutting of newsrooms, traffic reporters covering longer shifts for 3 or more stations, etc, etc...This may have been the case years ago but not today...I don’t buy this, just suits saying the right thing.

May 19, 2016 1:44 pm  #2

Re: The Future of Radio is...Talent. Really!?

The industry continues to pay itself with nice, warm gooey lip service.  "All is right with our world tonight.  We get it." 

They also continue to pay staff with lip service until they move up and above the allotted parameters of the pay scale for their specific job description/day part.  Once that threshold is even marginally scraped the employee is jettisoned in favour of the exact opposite of what this specific bullshit salesperson with the mouthful of samples is pandering about.

I used to tell the salespeople that we don't record farts and sell them so stop trying.  I lost THAT one.  The only thing that matters are the audience and the tunes.  [except to radio]

May 19, 2016 1:51 pm  #3

Very easy to make comments when not being part of the ground floor where things are happening along with detached VP's sitting at the top floor in their office with a flatscreen, fridge and candy machine. 

May 19, 2016 2:12 pm  #4

It's worth keeping in mind there are hundreds, if not thousands of very talented people across North America who do succeed and move forward because of that talent.  It's honestly not that often talent is promoted up, without there being some talent there, otherwise those doing the promoting are shooting themselves in the foot.  If anything, and I can't speak for Val, it would seem to be that talent is more important than ever.

I know the arguments, we're all numbers on a spreadsheet etc. etc. but even if that is the case, if you've worked and honed your talent, you're probably equally as well known to the PD across the street, if they are doing their job, than you are at the home station.  

Talent is still the most important factor, not in maintaining a job, but in maintaining a career.  As someone who has been 'fired' at least a dozen times, there's not once I look back and don't believe I'm better off because I was forced to move forward.  Being fired is an incredible hit to the ego, in this business especially there's few worse things to believe than you aren't wanted or appreciated.  But it's talent and perseverance that will ensure you are hired again.

I can think of many many people at Bell, Rogers, Newcap etc. who are incredibly talented and if you speak to them, believe that talent is appreciated and rewarded.  Yes, sometimes the best soldier takes a shot to the head in the trenches, but ideally they recover to fight on another day.

It's very easy to paint a 'sky is falling' picture, but it isn't.  It's certainly exponentially tougher to survive in today's industry than it was 20-30-40 years ago, but that doesn't mean people don't manage.

I read something in another thread that hit me hard.  "Would you do it all over again if you could".  My answer would probably be yes, but I've often counselled others to consider other career paths.  This is not a gentle business to be in, you can and do ended up getting treated unfairly, and if the adrenaline of 'being' in the business isn't enough to keep you coming back, you probably won't survive very long.  You will get chewed up and spit out.  That's always been the case, but in today's world there's an expectation that the job should be moulded to fit the individual.  Sometimes it feels like working in a coal mine where half the people don't want to get dirty, can't work in the dark and are claustrophobic, and expect that the role should be changed to accommodate them.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

May 20, 2016 2:29 am  #5

The backlash is simply a reaction to the idea that a consultant would actually offer up anything positive which management would agree with in terms of SPENDING extra money on the product.  Talent doesn't come for free.  Talent means success.  Success means raises WELL earned.  Raises mean... ... ...

Outside of drive...especially morning drive...this doesn't ring true and it hasn't for decades.  Loyalty to talent is NOT common.  In smaller markets it's close to being a joke.  And Mr. O'Neil...you haven't spent time in that reality in how many dozens of years?

... ... ...The circle of radio life winds tighter.

Ig referred to another sowny thread in his post here.  Radio was my hero...my "idol".  It's fallen a long, LONG way.  What about the many who loved the referred to adrenaline surge which did keep them coming back each and every day ready to unfurl their talent and perform?   That alone doesn't pay the bills and there are plenty of talented people not as 'gainfully' employed as they USED to be and it has NOTHING whatsoever to do with 'hall talk'.