sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 13, 2021 12:18 pm  #1

December 28-January 3 TV Ratings

Interesting looking at the television ratings across the country ending 2020 and into 2021. TSN ruled with the World Junior Hockey Championship in the English ratings.  In Quebec and other French speaking parts of the country Radio-Canada's year end comedy/satire Bye Bye 2020 had an astounding 4.6 million viewers making it by far the most popular program.  Radio-Canada had 4 other shows on New Years Eve that all had 2-3 million viewers.  In the rest of the country Dick Clark's Rockin New Years Eve on City came in with 1.2 million viewers, and CBC with their New Year's Eve Countdown had 1.1 million viewers...More on the ratings from Bill Brioux..
https://brioux.tv/blog/2021/01/12/world-junior-hockey-shoots-to-the-top-in-dec-28-jan-3-ratings/

January 14, 2021 12:33 pm  #2

Re: December 28-January 3 TV Ratings

torontostan wrote:

Those French numbers are seriously impressive. 

Yes when I go to the Numeris site and the weekly top 30, I usually check out the ratings for the French networks too. Seems like Quebeckers and francophone areas in other parts of the country are still loyal to over the air television and their local networks and programming. 

The private TVA network and Radio Canada are normally neck and neck in ratings, but December 28-January 3 Radio Canada dominated.  They had 7 of the top 10 shows and 18 of the top 30.  Bye Bye 2020 had 4.662 million viewers and the show prior called Infoman, another comedy satire had 3.467 million watching.   Those numbers are higher than even US networks get in prime time for many shows.  And ratings that CBC, CTV, Global, City could only dream about.  You can see why it is the French network that brings in the big advertising bucks for CBC/Radio Canada.

January 15, 2021 12:25 am  #3

Re: December 28-January 3 TV Ratings

torontostan wrote:

No kidding! I wonder if it's the result of the lack of French streaming content in Canada? That, and the distaste for Metropolitan french programs?

4.7 million viewers is better than CNN's NYE in the US (a country 10x the size)! 

I wonder how Bell's takeover of the V network will fare. 

Don't know if it is a lack of streaming or the fact that both TVA and especially Radio Canada really seem to connect with the audience and have for decades.  Both networks show very little French programming from Europe and most is home grown. TVA does have some dubbed US programming and movies in their schedule.

Bell's purchase of  V (now called noovo) is interesting.  I really don't know much about them but I understand they have increased local news coverage for each of their stations.  noovo has nine stations in total, both owned and affiliated with the network.  They have been showing up from time to time in the top 30 but way behind TVA and Radio Canada.   This was an important strategic move for Bell having a French network to eventually compete directly with Radio Canada and TVA.

Whenever I go to Ottawa I really enjoy listening to the commercial French radio stations.  They play 60% French music and most is cancon.  And to their credit the 40% English music that radio programs still includes some anglo cancon as well and not just Beiber, Drake and Shawn Mendes.  They will play some groups or artists like Gowan, Tyler Shaw or Down With Webster that have only been popular in the rest of the country.

I  think that both Ottawa and Montreal are great radio markets and the most interesting and competitive in the country.  The hit/non hit ratio that they still have makes the English stations somewhat different, and musically unique.  Most stations choose their non hits very well and the songs don't sound out of place at all in the music mix.  They usually end up playing both the hit from the artist and the next song that is going to be released as a single, so you hear some future hits months ahead of the rest of the country.

And Montreal and to a much lesser extent Ottawa both have more direct US radio competition.  Montreal in particular has a few US border stations that focus exclusively on Montreal, Cornwall and Ottawa.  These stations play only hits and even run commercials in French and sometimes do weather in French but all the music and announcing is English and only hit music. They have been around for years but it is somewhat sketchy how much impact they actually have had with local listeners and advertisers.