sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 12, 2021 8:33 pm  #31

Re: Short-term formats

Scorpio42 wrote:

Found this old CJCL ❤ 1430 promo in a pile of old newspapers and magazines but not sure what year this was from. I suspect maybe 1980's?

Keith Rich joined CJCL in 1986, so...mid 80's maybe? 

SOURCE: (scroll down)  https://jamiebradburnwriting.wordpress.com/tag/cjcl/

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 12, 2021 9:00 pm  #32

Scorpio42 wrote:

Found this old CJCL ❤ 1430 promo in a pile of old newspapers and magazines but not sure what year this was from. I suspect maybe 1980's?

I have the same ad from an old TV Guide. The issue was dated Sept. 1986, so it's definitely from that year. 

Here's one from 1985, with a very different cast and crew. 

This one came from Sept. 1990. That's quite an impressive sports line-up. 

Not sure of the year for this, but they sure did go through a lot of morning crews! (And notice who's doing traffic - Barb DiGiulio. 

But to me, this is the most inexplicable of all. When, exactly, was CJCL Progressive Adult Contemporary? If I hadn't seen this article, I wouldn't believe it ever happened. It's from 1981.

January 12, 2021 9:22 pm  #33

darcyh wrote:

The now silent CKSL 1410 London was probably ahead of its time with their News Talk for the 90's format. It was backed with top-notch and probably expensive talent. They had a great morning team, an excellent news guy (George Gordon I believe) and two of the best talk shows hosts in the market: Jim Chapman and Andy Oudman.  Alas, it did not seem to last very long; maybe two years then it went to a oldies format.

I listened to CKSL a lot during that time, I wish they had been able to make this profitable. Perhaps if they had they would not be silent today. Here's a you tube link for a TV commercial from that era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0epgSelThsU

I lived in London back then - if I’m not mistaken CKSL’s news/talk format lasted for a little short of three years. They still had it in the fall of 1995 but I think it was early 1996 they flipped to adult standards.

CKSL’s biggest problem was their transmitter site. They applied to flip to FM in the late 90s but lost out to CHUM which launched what is now Rogers-owned Jack FM. From what I had read the transmitter site was located next to London’s garbage dump, and over the years as the dump grew, it created interference for the signal. I can remember in the early 2000s the signal within London was poor, with a distinct lack of fidelity. They flipped to oldies in December 2000 but the music quality was poor compared to other oldies stations of the time such as CKOC. The oldies format lasted until February 2004 when it returned to standards, flipping back to oldies in 2009 and then Funny 1410 came in 2012.

I also recall that although CKSL billed itself as “Oldies 1410”, a significant part of their schedule was dedicated to brokered and religious programming. They’d air an American religious program at 7:30pm on weeknights, I think it was called Walk in the Word, and then the controversial Radio Marjya from Poland starting at 8:00 and lasting well into the night.

At one point in 2002 I recall CFPL airing standards during the time slot CKSL had Radio Marjya on nights they didn’t have sports. They’d play Moon River by Andy Williams almost every time. I’m not sure if they intentionally were counterprogramming CKSL during that time slot.

Towards the end of CKSL’s life it was being used for sports overflow from CJBK. CJBK had the rights to both the London Knights and the Blue Jays at the time, so if both were on at the same time which sometimes happened during the OHL playoffs the Jays would go to CKSL. Or maybe it was the other way around.

During the 2000-2004 iteration of Oldies 1410, they were automated outside of weekday AM drive. The automation setup they had evidently had some problems, as they sometimes would go to dead air, followed by an ID, and then a string of songs starting with Nobody but Me by the Human Beinz, then Daniel by Elton John, then Midnight Confessions by the Grass Roots, then some others that were always the same in the same order. Every. Single. Time. And easily at least once a day.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (January 12, 2021 9:35 pm)

January 12, 2021 10:04 pm  #34

MJ Vancouver wrote:

darcyh wrote:

The now silent CKSL 1410 London was probably ahead of its time with their News Talk for the 90's format. It was backed with top-notch and probably expensive talent. They had a great morning team, an excellent news guy (George Gordon I believe) and two of the best talk shows hosts in the market: Jim Chapman and Andy Oudman.  Alas, it did not seem to last very long; maybe two years then it went to a oldies format.

I listened to CKSL a lot during that time, I wish they had been able to make this profitable. Perhaps if they had they would not be silent today. Here's a you tube link for a TV commercial from that era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0epgSelThsU

I lived in London back then - if I’m not mistaken CKSL’s news/talk format lasted for a little short of three years. They still had it in the fall of 1995 but I think it was early 1996 they flipped to adult standards.

CKSL’s biggest problem was their transmitter site. They applied to flip to FM in the late 90s but lost out to CHUM which launched what is now Rogers-owned Jack FM. From what I had read the transmitter site was located next to London’s garbage dump, and over the years as the dump grew, it created interference for the signal. I can remember in the early 2000s the signal within London was poor, with a distinct lack of fidelity. They flipped to oldies in December 2000 but the music quality was poor compared to other oldies stations of the time such as CKOC. The oldies format lasted until February 2004 when it returned to standards, flipping back to oldies in 2009 and then Funny 1410 came in 2012.

I also recall that although CKSL billed itself as “Oldies 1410”, a significant part of their schedule was dedicated to brokered and religious programming. They’d air an American religious program at 7:30pm on weeknights, I think it was called Walk in the Word, and then the controversial Radio Marjya from Poland starting at 8:00 and lasting well into the night.

At one point in 2002 I recall CFPL airing standards during the time slot CKSL had Radio Marjya on nights they didn’t have sports. They’d play Moon River by Andy Williams almost every time. I’m not sure if they intentionally were counterprogramming CKSL during that time slot.

Towards the end of CKSL’s life it was being used for sports overflow from CJBK. CJBK had the rights to both the London Knights and the Blue Jays at the time, so if both were on at the same time which sometimes happened during the OHL playoffs the Jays would go to CKSL. Or maybe it was the other way around.

During the 2000-2004 iteration of Oldies 1410, they were automated outside of weekday AM drive. The automation setup they had evidently had some problems, as they sometimes would go to dead air, followed by an ID, and then a string of songs starting with Nobody but Me by the Human Beinz, then Daniel by Elton John, then Midnight Confessions by the Grass Roots, then some others that were always the same in the same order. Every. Single. Time. And easily at least once a day.

You guys are wearing me out! Somewhere I came across this old CKSL jingle package and there's a strange story that goes along with it.

At the time, I was working for CKEY, when a guy named Laurie Long from CJBK, one of our news affiliates, called to feed us a story. As a joke, I played one of the CKSL jingles down the line at him and he responded by grabbing a cart and laying down one of his own.

This sparked a jingle war on the phone, as we alternated between 'SL and 'BK IDs for the next 4 minutes. I'm not sure whatever happened to Mr. Long, but I've kept these jingles for a "long" time. You can hear them here.