sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 10, 2021 8:28 pm  #1

What Happens When A CHUM Contest Winner Doesn't Believe He Really Won?

What happens when a radio listener wins a big prize but doesn't believe it really happened? In this promo I just found on an old tape from the glory days of CHUM, legendary morning man Jay Nelson phones a man who is clearly skeptical that the DJ is who he says he is - or that he won $1,000 by answering his phone with the famous phrase that pays "I Listen To Chum." 

The Doubtful "I Listen To CHUM" $1,000 Winner

January 11, 2021 10:38 am  #2

Re: What Happens When A CHUM Contest Winner Doesn't Believe He Really Won?

In the early '60s, my mother won a contest sponsored by CKEY I believe. Her mother - my grandmother - entered her in the contest but never told her. So when the live on-air phone call was made to my mom she was very skeptical and sounded it. As I recall It was a pretty decent prize too.

Check out these calls for this CFTR contest in 1972:

http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/cftr-contest-72.mp3

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

January 11, 2021 6:44 pm  #3

Does anyone have the profanity filled CHUM production outtakes from the mid 70's?  It is about 5 minutes of the CHUM jocks blowing their commercial reads in production and usually swearing after the fact.  It is very funny, lots of swearing, and anyone who ever read a commercial in production that they just couldn't get through will relate.  Once you have heard this piece of tape, you won't forget it.  But be warned not something for the kids to hear. 

January 11, 2021 6:56 pm  #4

I don't have that, but you might be interested in this CHUM news goofs tape from the mid 70s that was never meant for air. Lots of examples from various stations and also lots of bad language in it, so listener discretion is advised. But there's some great stuff here.  

The CHUM "CJY 302 Awards"

January 11, 2021 10:14 pm  #5

Actually one cut from the CJY 302 awards is from the tape I was talking about.  At 6 minutes the great Richard Scott talking about how he prostitutes himself to make a living, and the dirty rotten bastards...etc. Richard for many years read news and did commercial work for CHUM. 

This CHUM production pirate tape would surface at radio parties, after a night of drinking, and is a classic.  It has been dubbed and redubbed hundreds of times. I am sure one or two SOWNY members have this piece of radio production history. It is tightly edited, lots of profanity and you can feel the frustration when the jocks just can't read the spot.  Funny stuff.

January 11, 2021 10:27 pm  #6

paterson1 wrote:

Does anyone have the profanity filled CHUM production outtakes from the mid 70's?  It is about 5 minutes of the CHUM jocks blowing their commercial reads in production and usually swearing after the fact.  It is very funny, lots of swearing, and anyone who ever read a commercial in production that they just couldn't get through will relate.  Once you have heard this piece of tape, you won't forget it.  But be warned not something for the kids to hear. 

Our production manager used to surreptitiously save our worst reads/swearing moments from voicing spots for the station, and then bring the carefully arranged tape to the next big party. The happy ending bit that Mike Stafford used to do on the Stafford show always reminded me of ours. You get used to never swearing around a mic, so to be able to let loose a blue streak in the production studio, or have an extended laughing fit was a real relief.

January 12, 2021 6:01 pm  #7

I found one last entry in this genre - this time, it's the late Terry Steele making the phone call. He actually reaches a CHUM listener but she forgets the phrase that pays and winds up speechless. If only they'd had call display back then! The entire drama takes just 21 seconds. 

Terry Steele "Don't Say Hello" Contest