sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 13, 2016 3:21 pm  #1

When Your Radio Idol Falls

I’m guessing most of us here listened as a kid to a radio personality – usually a DJ - that made us want to get into the industry. I had a number of people I really admired growing up, starting as a young child with CHUM, but eventually branching out to other stations across North America.

One of them was a guy who worked in some of the biggest markets in the U.S., ranging from Cleveland, Miami and L.A. all the way to the pinnacle of a 50,000 watt giant network owned radio station in New York City. He was an absolutely outstanding talent, has been elected to many Broadcasting Halls of Fame and – as I would find out later – was an inspiration not only to me, but to other future creative types, including Dan O’Shannon, the amazingly successful TV producer behind shows like "Cheers", “Frasier,” and "Newhart," who actually emailed me a few years ago looking for this man’s email address.

The reason I had it was that I was lucky enough to meet my idol both online and over the phone and he was as terrific in person as I always hoped he’d be. We’ve been in touch ever since.

And it’s because we keep in touch that he sent me a brief essay he was asked to write for a future book compendium on the subject of life change. What was contained in those four short pages frankly threw me for a loop.

In essence, he stated that he started in radio at age 18, went on to become a famous announcer, had all the riches, fancy cars, expensive houses and perks you can imagine – and that he hated every second of it from the moment he started until the day he left the business.

I was stunned.

Here was the guy I looked up to for more than four decades admitting that all those years he was “playing a character” as he called it, he was mired in complete and utter misery and thought endlessly about getting out. Yet he felt trapped by money, fame and the fact that he really didn’t know how to do anything else.

“I recognized I needed an attitude adjustment,” he wrote in the yet-unpublished essay. “But I truly could no longer find anything redeeming or salvageable in the work, or to even appreciate that is was fueling a pretty good (albeit crazy/stressful) life. As I type these words I can’t believe that I’m talking about me.”

Eventually he got his wish, going back to school at the age of 41 and earning his Ph.D., while describing how he went from mansions to a one-bedroom apartment on a campus in the U.S. Midwest. That took some real courage, but it also made me very, very sad.

Here was the classic real life Pagliacci – a guy who made hundreds of thousands laugh, while crying in private. He’s retired now, making short films and videos for his own amusement, after becoming a respected professor in a major American college, essentially starting life over in his late 40s.

As a young boy, I idolized this man, and that’s not his fault. But I can’t help but feeling – what’s the word, betrayed, disappointed? – by his admission all these years later that what made me so happy made him so miserable. Especially when he reached such incredible heights in a very fickle industry.

I can’t really put myself in his shoes, but I always wished I could have had a career even half as fantastic as his. All of which makes me wonder about the feelings of some of those assembled here. Did you/do you hate your broadcasting job so much you wished you’d gone into something else? If so, did you ever act on it? It’s all I ever wanted to do and I was lucky enough to get that chance in the major market in Canada. And while there were moments of intense frustration, I never wanted to do anything else.

In the end, I suppose it shows that some people’s dreams are other people’s nightmares. And really, there can’t be anything sadder than that.

May 13, 2016 4:52 pm  #2

Re: When Your Radio Idol Falls

I was always under the impression this was almost endemic to the industry. Not to belittle your idol, but to illustrate that s/he isn't alone.

May 13, 2016 6:43 pm  #3

I have admired the work of a number of people in the industry over the years, a few of whom I eventually got to meet. In each of those instances I tried to relate to them as human beings. These people may be famous but not flawless. Very often beneath the shining armour are underlying weaknesses as the above story aptly illustrates.

May 13, 2016 7:38 pm  #4

All this makes me think of another great DJ, one maybe not so familiar to Canadian listeners. But "Dr," Don Rose was a legendary DJ who first made waves in Philadelphia, but absolutely owned San Francisco, where he was #1 for decades doing mornings on the great KFRC. 

He had every perk in the biz, never had to pay for a drink at a bar, got free tickets to everything, the whole works, along with an ever increasing salary. The City by the Bay was his for the taking. After several years at the top, he finally retired. And shortly after, a TV reporter decided to do a "where are they now?" update on this famous morning man.

After a review of his career, the reporter concluded by asking him, "if you had to do it all over again, would you?"

There's a long pause as Rose considers his answer. "Nope," he says, with no hint of a smile. "I wouldn't."

"Really? You wouldn't," asks the reporter, clearly surprised by the answer.

And Rose shakes his head. Without offering any explanation, he concludes by saying simply "No." 

And the segment ends. 

I recall seeing that clip somewhere. It was one of the saddest tributes I've ever watched. I guess sometimes the price of true success is higher than many of us are willing to pay.

May 13, 2016 8:49 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

I’m guessing most of us here listened as a kid to a radio personality – usually a DJ - that made us want to get into the industry. I had a number of people I really admired growing up, starting as a young child with CHUM, but eventually branching out to other stations across North America.

One of them was a guy who worked in some of the biggest markets in the U.S., ranging from Cleveland, Miami and L.A. all the way to the pinnacle of a 50,000 watt giant network owned radio station in New York City. He was an absolutely outstanding talent, has been elected to many Broadcasting Halls of Fame and – as I would find out later – was an inspiration not only to me, but to other future creative types, including Dan O’Shannon, the amazingly successful TV producer behind shows like "Cheers", “Frasier,” and "Newhart," who actually emailed me a few years ago looking for this man’s email address.

The reason I had it was that I was lucky enough to meet my idol both online and over the phone and he was as terrific in person as I always hoped he’d be. We’ve been in touch ever since.

And it’s because we keep in touch that he sent me a brief essay he was asked to write for a future book compendium on the subject of life change. What was contained in those four short pages frankly threw me for a loop.

In essence, he stated that he started in radio at age 18, went on to become a famous announcer, had all the riches, fancy cars, expensive houses and perks you can imagine – and that he hated every second of it from the moment he started until the day he left the business.

I was stunned.

Here was the guy I looked up to for more than four decades admitting that all those years he was “playing a character” as he called it, he was mired in complete and utter misery and thought endlessly about getting out. Yet he felt trapped by money, fame and the fact that he really didn’t know how to do anything else.

“I recognized I needed an attitude adjustment,” he wrote in the yet-unpublished essay. “But I truly could no longer find anything redeeming or salvageable in the work, or to even appreciate that is was fueling a pretty good (albeit crazy/stressful) life. As I type these words I can’t believe that I’m talking about me.”

Eventually he got his wish, going back to school at the age of 41 and earning his Ph.D., while describing how he went from mansions to a one-bedroom apartment on a campus in the U.S. Midwest. That took some real courage, but it also made me very, very sad.

Here was the classic real life Pagliacci – a guy who made hundreds of thousands laugh, while crying in private. He’s retired now, making short films and videos for his own amusement, after becoming a respected professor in a major American college, essentially starting life over in his late 40s.

As a young boy, I idolized this man, and that’s not his fault. But I can’t help but feeling – what’s the word, betrayed, disappointed? – by his admission all these years later that what made me so happy made him so miserable. Especially when he reached such incredible heights in a very fickle industry.

I can’t really put myself in his shoes, but I always wished I could have had a career even half as fantastic as his. All of which makes me wonder about the feelings of some of those assembled here. Did you/do you hate your broadcasting job so much you wished you’d gone into something else? If so, did you ever act on it? It’s all I ever wanted to do and I was lucky enough to get that chance in the major market in Canada. And while there were moments of intense frustration, I never wanted to do anything else.

In the end, I suppose it shows that some people’s dreams are other people’s nightmares. And really, there can’t be anything sadder than that.

I know the identity of that person (we've discussed him before and you sent me some tapes) and his admission does surprise me. He seemed to be having a good time on the air. He was very entertaining.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

May 13, 2016 8:54 pm  #6

For some I would suggest that the reasons we 'got into' the business didn't turn out to be, realistically, what 'it' was really all about.  The fact that so many 1/4 talents made it into the 'management' end and who then subsequently  made the life of talented people miserable with their foolishness and ignorance made the whole experience unfulfilling, shallow and regrettable.

Working for THAT kind of company became an obstacle I had NO desire to duplicate a full 20 years ago.  So I didn't.  Nor did I try...or EVER apply for work again.  Yet...I managed to keep my hand 'in' and only under my own terms.

Working for STUPID sucks HUGE time.  They're everywhere.  And the product?  Well.... ... ...  It's nowhere.