sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 8, 2021 8:54 pm  #1

BRIAN MASTER CHFI FM VIA AM STEREO & MORE

I have a very low power’d AM C-Quam stereo transmitter for home use and I have taken a cassette recording of Brian Master on CHFI FM from the 1990’s and run that through the transmitter. The show was Saturday Night Oldies.

The idea was to experience AM stereo as there are very few radio stations still using the technology and none in this area ( Toronto).

There are some issues with hum. I have also included two other clips run through the am stereo transmitter. The second one is a recording from a CD of the Buffalo Springfield and the third features Paul McCartney’s Ram album

I have used noise reduction on the Buffalo Springfield clip but have left the other two in tact with the good, the bad and the ugly on display for you to hear.

I mostly ignored the am stereo format when it was around even though I had receivers that could decode it and have used one of those old recivers for this. I would say that it's not as good as FM streo but better than AM mono for music.

The stereo separation is quite good but the hum and distortion is not and if anyone has any tips on trying to improve that would be appreciated. I think the problem emanates mostly from the transmitter and not receiver. I have looked into the usual issues of plugs and grounding with little success. 

Brian Master CHFI & More AM C-Quam Stereo

Last edited by Fitz (January 8, 2021 10:55 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

January 8, 2021 9:23 pm  #2

Re: BRIAN MASTER CHFI FM VIA AM STEREO & MORE

Hey Fitz, I'd like to find out more details on what you have for a transmitter.  I have a Sony wideband tuner from the mid-80s with a four-system decoder, and I'd like to generate a signal to use on it.

Prior to the pandemic I was interested in getting a fully assembled AM Stereo C-Quam transmitter from an Australian fellow.  I would like to use something that's a easy as hooking up and FM DC-powered transmitter if I could.  Do I need much in the way of wire attached?  I really would just like to cover my apartment.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

January 8, 2021 9:33 pm  #3

Jody Thornton wrote:

Hey Fitz, I'd like to find out more details on what you have for a transmitter.  I have a Sony wideband tuner from the mid-80s with a four-system decoder, and I'd like to generate a signal to use on it.

Prior to the pandemic I was interested in getting a fully assembled AM Stereo C-Quam transmitter from an Australian fellow.  I would like to use something that's a easy as hooking up and FM DC-powered transmitter if I could.  Do I need much in the way of wire attached?  I really would just like to cover my apartment.

I will send you a PM soon on where to get the transmitter but it's only AM stereo. Has two power settings the default  one goes out maybe 100 feet and the other 300 feet. I'd like to improve the hum.

Cool Airchecks and More:

January 8, 2021 9:37 pm  #4

AM Stereo is what I'm looking for.    At your leisure Fitz 

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

January 9, 2021 4:29 pm  #5

re the hum and distortion issues. I just tried something and that is listening to a strong AM over the air signal in that was Zoomer AM 740 and there was almost just as much distortion and thus the culprit may not be the home transmitter but in fact the general problem with AM reception in urban and suburban areas and I think that's what I will concentrate on now.  I also have a HD radio can can decode C-Quam and I may try that at various locations within the house.

Cool Airchecks and More:

January 9, 2021 4:35 pm  #6

Your stereo receiver (I'm guessing it's a Sony) must sound good even on mono signals like AM 740, given that you'd have wideband reception, no?  I would imagine it sounding more like mono FM.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

January 9, 2021 10:38 pm  #7

Jody Thornton wrote:

Your stereo receiver (I'm guessing it's a Sony) must sound good even on mono signals like AM 740, given that you'd have wideband reception, no?  I would imagine it sounding more like mono FM.

I did not really try AM 740 much when the tuner was upstairs but right now I have brought it to the basement where the transmitter is and today it did not sound FM level.  I did a new recording and changed the frequency on the transmitter. You can hear on the sample below that things sound better than usual on AM. Too bad AM stereo is dead b/c it could make a difference for music formats:

Four Tracks By Nillson

Cool Airchecks and More:

January 14, 2021 10:19 am  #8

Fitz wrote:

Jody Thornton wrote:

I did not really try AM 740 much when the tuner was upstairs but right now I have brought it to the basement where the transmitter is and today it did not sound FM level.  I did a new recording and changed the frequency on the transmitter. You can hear on the sample below that things sound better than usual on AM. Too bad AM stereo is dead b/c it could make a difference for music formats:

Four Tracks By Nillson

I figured the mono result would be akin to a modulation monitor being used in an AM control room (listening to tthe air feed through the board in other words.)  This YouTube video shows CHML (in mono) being played on a stereo Sansui tuner)

Cheers,
Jody Thornton