sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 3, 2021 8:01 pm  #1

A Rant Like No Other

Ok, I am about to lose it.
If I hear another talking head on Television, or someone on Radio tell me it is "..like no other" I am going to snap.
A holiday like no other..
A school year like no other..
A hockey season like no other..
An awards show like no other..
You get my drift.
Surely when writing or speaking they can come up with an alternative to this very tired cliche.
Maybe we should start a "like no other" drinking game.   You will probably be hammered before noon, although with the way things are right now that might not be a bad thing.
Sorry, but had to rant.
Signing off now to go and enjoy a dinner like no other, with a fine glass of wine like no other, and then of course a nap like no other.

January 3, 2021 8:21 pm  #2

Re: A Rant Like No Other

What bothers me is they say this is canceled, this is closed or that is postponed but they also have to tell you why. *********really?!??********
WE KNOW ALREADY

January 3, 2021 8:21 pm  #3

folks, listen.  in these uncertain times, one like no other, we must exercise an abundance of caution.  we are all in this together, so  flatten the curve and ignore the fascist anti-maskers, anti-vaxxers, and karens in order to pivot toward a new world order. after all, the world HAS changed, so tune in 2, 3, 4 times an hour for the latest in sus 'rona deets.

Many thanks to Just a Radio Fan and LSSU 2020 list of banished words and phrases  for inspiration..... i know, right??

January 3, 2021 10:19 pm  #4

At appproximately 9:11 on Sunday Night Football, Al Michaels said, "This has been a year like no other.

January 3, 2021 10:51 pm  #5

Perfect place for this rant, I mean, the SOWNY board is a place like no other... 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 4, 2021 7:32 am  #6

Splunge; You forgot "the new normal".

January 4, 2021 9:39 am  #7

unprecedented!

January 4, 2021 11:16 am  #8

This board isn't the only one noting this frustrating trend. On Monday morning, Tim Denis did a montage on CKTB comprised of one word - "together." He took it from commercials that had run on the station in the past few months.

Now you wouldn't think that a single word montage like that could last very long, but the thing went on and on and on for about 30-40 secs., with different announcers of both genders solemnly intoning the word "together," all from old spots. Of course, he didn't include the sponsor's name, so there was no way to I.D each offender. 

But it was a graphic and audible way of demonstrating exactly what this thread is saying - we're all going through this cliche "together" - and that's starting to wear thin.

January 4, 2021 4:19 pm  #9

"breaking news!"

January 4, 2021 4:25 pm  #10

side note: that corona virus can not only stop a person's ability to breath, it can also stop other news from occurring (or so it seems). wait a minute... i forgot about trump... nevermind.

Last edited by the original hank (January 4, 2021 4:26 pm)

January 4, 2021 8:24 pm  #11

Wolf Blitzer