sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 4, 2021 3:16 pm  #1

news conference = wtf?

i just watched the news conference (in toronto) covering 5 health workers receiving the second dose of the covid vaccination. it was a big deal covered by local and national news outlets.
instead of getting the first recipient in the chair, quickly followed by the injection, someone had the genius idea to bring in the press to cover all of the goings on (from "bottle to arm"). as a result, viewers (nation-wide) got to see someone fill the needles (a slowww process). once the 5 needles were filled, there they sat on a table. the next 15 minutes (at least) contained views of people shuffling around, as the nurse and needle recipient sat in their chairs. the cameras zoomed in and out of the recipient's arm as both doug and christine were positioned, then re-positioned, then re positioned, then... while all this was going on, both cbc and ctv news channels brought in health experts to fill time. both experts kept talking about the  100,000's of thousands of vaccine doses that are just sitting in ontario freezers, not being distributed (i guess they could subtract 5 doses from that amount).
btw, i was able to see 2 true wtf moments, via ctv's new's channel. one minor moment featured the news anchor getting doug ford's name wrong. later came a major moment when ctv turned on their on-site mic to capture the recipient giving her personal details (to the nurse). this included her name, date of birth, and personal phone number. the mic suddenly shut off, but it was too late.
"now let's hear from the vaccine recipient!" (insert deer in headlights... followed by the sound of crickets)

well, i'm sure all this looked good on paper.

...and so it goes...

Last edited by the original hank (January 4, 2021 3:37 pm)

January 4, 2021 3:32 pm  #2

Re: news conference = wtf?

Someone should tell somebody that we're in a pandemic and speed is vital. How do we get all levels of government to get it the hell in gear?

As cautious as I am about my personal information, I wouldn't have allowed it to be heard anywhere near reporters or cameras.