sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 23, 2020 11:55 am  #1

First "Baby, It's Cold Outside", now "The Christmas Song"?

We all remember the brouhaha about "Baby, It's Cold Outside" from a couple of years ago. It looks like the latest casualty in the politically correct brigade might be "The Christmas Song".

On at least a couple of radio stations, I've heard an abbreviated version of the Nat King Cole classic with the line "...And folks dressed up like Eskimos" edited out. Although I applaud the stations for being woke, in both cases the edit sounded rather obvious and clunky.

Given the fact that a lot of classic Christmas songs were written in decades passed when social norms were quite a bit different, there's probably going to be even more songs that will be considered socially inappropriate in the years to come. In a year where pancake mix was considered racist, that doesn't seem too far-fetched. Might make it challenging for stations that play wall-to-wall Christmas music to fill up their playlists if that happens.

PJ

Last edited by Paul Jeffries (December 23, 2020 12:05 pm)

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

December 23, 2020 5:55 pm  #2

Re: First "Baby, It's Cold Outside", now "The Christmas Song"?

Listen to Virgin Radio for an hour and tell me if some of those songs arent offensive and makes it OK compared to this....

Ridiculous 

December 23, 2020 6:15 pm  #3

I really hope that at some point in the distant future, (those of us here will be long gone by then) society will look upon the cancel culture that is so prevalent today much the same way we look at social practices back in the Victorian era.

On the other hand, if society looks upon it as the beginning of some kind of "enlightened" era, then maybe it's a good thing I won't be around.

December 23, 2020 6:27 pm  #4

This kind of history rewrite drives me crazy. I guess this means Rick Nelson's Travellin' Man will disappear from the airwaves next, because he mentions his "Polynesian Baby" and his "cute little Eskimo." 

We can change what we do in the future, not what we did in the past. I'm all for being sensitive, but it's a fool's errand to believe otherwise. 

December 23, 2020 7:01 pm  #5

Yeah but then there were the lyrics to this old classic...
"The sun shines bright on my old Kentucky home
It's summer the darkies are gay."

Don't think this would fly nowadays.

December 23, 2020 7:41 pm  #6

Not sure anyone is playing that for Christmas! And yeah, it's terrible. But it's representative of an awful time of ignorance.

We need to learn from it - not ban it. Lest we forget the lessons of that horrible history. 

December 23, 2020 7:49 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

This kind of history rewrite drives me crazy. I guess this means Rick Nelson's Travellin' Man will disappear from the airwaves next, because he mentions his "Polynesian Baby" and his "cute little Eskimo." 

We can change what we do in the future, not what we did in the past. I'm all for being sensitive, but it's a fool's errand to believe otherwise. 

we must then remove the offensive scourge of "california girls", "fat bottom girls", and "the girl from iponema" i guess.

December 24, 2020 9:56 pm  #8

White Christmas is in trouble because Black Christmas matters.

December 25, 2020 9:42 am  #9

grilled.cheese wrote:

I think its good to omit offensive lyrics.  

Jimmy Boyd's "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" led to the Orangeville housewives' herpes epidemic

December 25, 2020 3:16 pm  #10

geo wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

I think its good to omit offensive lyrics.  

Jimmy Boyd's "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" led to the Orangeville housewives' herpes epidemic