sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 22, 2020 5:53 pm  #1

The Hidden Signals On CKFM & CKLH

In the midst of a renewal announcement about various Bell stations, the CRTC noted two things I never realized - there are piggybacked signals on both Virgin Radio and CKLH 102.9 in Hamilton. The SCMO (Subsidiary Communications Multiplex Operation) channels on 99.9 are in Chinese and Greek, while the Steeltown outlet provides one in German. 

I knew these ethnic services existed, but I ever realized they occupied space on both of those specific stations.

There is also a curious command regarding TSN1150, aka CKOC. 

"The licensee shall, as an exception to the percentage of Canadian musical selections set out in sections 2.2(8) and 2.2(9) of the Radio Regulations, 1986 (the Regulations), in any broadcast week where at least 90% of musical selections from content category 2 (Popular Music) that it broadcasts are selections released before 1 January 1981:

• in that broadcast week, devote 30% or more of its musical selections from content category 2 to Canadian selections broadcast in their entirety; and
  • between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m., in the period beginning on Monday of that week and ending on Friday of the same broadcast week, devote 30% or more of its musical selections from content category 2 to Canadian selections broadcast in their entirety."

I'm not sure I understand this one. That would almost seem to be a COL from their Oldies days. Why would such an edict still be on the books since they've been all sports for years and don't play any music (beyond say, bumper tunes)? It's possible I'm misinterpreting this - I often find the CRTC's bureaucratese a bit hard to fathom. This might be one of those cases.

CRTC Ruling

December 22, 2020 8:57 pm  #2

Re: The Hidden Signals On CKFM & CKLH

You're correct that it's leftover from their Oldies days. Stations had to apply to get the reduction, but also have to apply to remove it. Most stations that eventually ended up on FM had it removed either when they moved or at renewal. A few AMs still have it, either because it makes no difference either way, or as insurance should they ever want to go back to Oldies.