sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 20, 2020 10:21 am  #1

Ron James, doing it right for New Years Eve

For the creatives,(musicians, artists, theatres, actors/actresses)  2020 has been a year and not one for the record books. Gigs are hard to come by, recording a CD is a challenge and the clubs they are closed shut.

But Ron James, who hosted a weekly show on CBC for several years, is doing something clever for New Years. He is performing live from his living room and selling tickets to this online Zoom event. 

I think that is really clever and a creative way to make income and still have work.

I wondered why musicians or actors didn't do mini street concerts at noon for an hour in a local area (phsically distanced and all) and one could get some music or Shakespeare and donate money for seeing them perform!

Here is more info on his website...about the tour and event...

http://www.ronjames.ca/tour-1

I find him to be really clever and each year I would get a group of friends to attend his show at CBC TV studios on Front St. It was a fun night out for sure! 

Here is a sample of his diatribe on Netflix addictions...enjoy!

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (December 20, 2020 10:23 am)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

December 20, 2020 11:04 am  #2

Re: Ron James, doing it right for New Years Eve

I saw Ron James live about 8 years ago.  He was brilliant, and the sold out crowd loved him.  You can't compare him to anyone; he is unique with an original style. So quick, topical and smart, wrapped up with plenty of east coast charm. What makes Ron's humour so great is that everything he talks about and says has an element of truth to it, and that makes it even funnier.

Like Jeff Dunham, Ron James takes the time, and makes the effort, for some local humour when he performs live.  His target when I saw him was the town of Elmira, just north of Waterloo and the city of Kitchener.  He already had won over the crowd, but with some local content, which was bang on, made the evening more memorable and even funnier. His long standing ovation that night from about 2,000 patrons was well deserved.

Last edited by paterson1 (December 20, 2020 11:29 am)

December 20, 2020 1:41 pm  #3

=12px>> Like Jeff Dunham, Ron James takes the time, and makes the effort, for some local humour when he performs live.

That's a great way to connect with your audience and win them over. Two thumbs up!

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

December 20, 2020 2:13 pm  #4

I was hoping the CBC would schedule him on New Year's Eve.  

Last edited by Media Observer (December 20, 2020 2:15 pm)

December 21, 2020 1:05 pm  #5

It looks like the CBC is going to be showing a mini marathon of Schitt's Creek on Thursday afternoon and Family Feud Canada on New Year's Eve.  At 11pm they are having a countdown show from Niagara Falls and a few other locations across the country.  No Ron James, or Air Farce this year. 

Always been surprised that CTV doesn't do much special for New Year's eve programming.  This year they have a CTV News Special at 10pm (chat with the PM?) and at 11:30pm Big Bang Theory.  They could have something at midnight since the scheduled movie doesn't start until 12:05am on January 1st. 

Couldn't find what Global or CHCH are doing, and City will be showing Dick Clarks New Years Rockin Eve which probably be a smaller affair than normal. 

December 21, 2020 2:23 pm  #6

Is it just me,  or is Bell Media addicted to Big Bang Theory marathons whenever there is a long weekend or an extended holiday period?

Last edited by Media Observer (December 21, 2020 2:24 pm)