sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 14, 2020 9:10 pm  #1

CTV's New Holmes Family Effect Picked Up By Fox

CTV has sold it's new four part series Holmes Family Effect to Fox.  The US network plans to run the show mid season.
https://www.bellmedia.ca/the-lede/press/fox-acquires-ctv-original-series-holmes-family-effect-in-deal-with-bell-media/

December 15, 2020 3:23 pm  #2

Re: CTV's New Holmes Family Effect Picked Up By Fox

i stopped watching "holmes on homes" back in the day. every time mike pointed out something (bad), as a homeowner, i kept getting depressed.

December 15, 2020 3:42 pm  #3

the original hank wrote:

i stopped watching "holmes on homes" back in the day. every time mike pointed out something (bad), as a homeowner, i kept getting depressed.

Me too. Fortunately, we live in a solid ranch-style mid-60s bungalow back when builders used real wood (and lots of it), not pressboard (aka glued-together chips and sawdust), and actually seemed to care about what they were doing. Built like a battleship.

As a new sub-division was being mass-built near us, my wife and I strolled through to observe construction techniques. OH MY FREAKIN' GOD, Mike Holmes would have had a coronary on the spot. Even the poured basement walls had a two-inch gap in some corners, which they later "patched". Roof sheathing was 3/8" waferboard...not even plywood. At twilight, you can see every truss outline on the roof due to the sagging of the waferboard.

Those same houses, five years later, are selling in the $900,000 to $1,000,000 range, but I saw how they were built.

December 16, 2020 11:06 am  #4

My father was a building contractor for more than 50 years. If you want to see him do a slow burn just mention Mike Holmes. Dad sees him as a blowhard with little substance, a guy who "fixed" things with very expensive (to the homeowner) overkill.

December 16, 2020 11:56 am  #5

Used to do renos. While taking a client through a supplier they'd say, "We need this for the job right?  Mike Holmes uses this stuff".  I'd reply, Mike Holmes doesn't pay full price for it if anything at all.  And it's overkill for the job.

December 16, 2020 1:06 pm  #6

The thing that set my dad off the most about Holmes was that he would go into a house to fix some renovation disaster and tear everything out, toss it and buy all new materials. My father was the original recycler and he always complained Holmes could have reused a lot of the materials, such as the lumber, and saved the homeowner a pile of money.

December 16, 2020 1:33 pm  #7

LongTimeLurker wrote:

The thing that set my dad off the most about Holmes was that he would go into a house to fix some renovation disaster and tear everything out, toss it and buy all new materials. My father was the original recycler and he always complained Holmes could have reused a lot of the materials, such as the lumber, and saved the homeowner a pile of money.

That wouldn't make the sponsors warm and fuzzy.

December 16, 2020 5:08 pm  #8

personally, when it comes to repairs, i've used the same resource for the past 14 years or so (it has saved me thousands of $$'s).  it's called youtube (however, you have to discern the good from the bad... that's where comments come in to play).