sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 19, 2016 11:36 am  #1

AM 640's Possible Future Revealed?

Interesting tweet from Cartt.ca, the online subscription news site that covers Canadian media. A post put up in the past 24 hours about the launch of Bloomberg TV Canada had Channel Zero's Cal Millar quoted as saying this:

"...there will be Bloomberg Business Radio "in major markets across Canada." No time line for that yet." 

Not saying CFMJ would be the springboard for such a service in Toronto, but if not 640, then who?

Then again, it IS Channel Zero, so if you ask any former employees of CHCH, they'll likely tell you not to believe anything any of the execs. say. 

Cartt.ca's Twitter page

April 19, 2016 11:45 am  #2

Re: AM 640's Possible Future Revealed?

Is not official 'til Lou Schizas weighs in

April 19, 2016 11:59 am  #3

RadioActive wrote:

"...there will be Bloomberg Business Radio "in major markets across Canada." No time line for that yet." 

Not saying CFMJ would be the springboard for such a service in Toronto, but if not 640, then who?

Doesn't necessarily have to mean the 24/7 feed. Could be reports, etc.

The 24/7 feed doesn't generate any ratings, so it would only make sense on a money-losing freq.

April 19, 2016 12:29 pm  #4

Don't get me wrong. I'd hate to see AM 640 disappear into a boring business format. I just wish if they were going to go for an all talk format, they'd staff it properly.

As it is, every time one of the hosts goes on vacation, there's an endless round of musical chairs, as they try to fill the holes by switching Stafford to mornings, then vamping with a Lorne Honickman or a Ryan Bonnar, etc. etc. before going into a loop of rerolls after 7 or 8, followed by yesterday's Coast To Coast. All the while, their competition at 1010 has live bodies behind the mic from 5:30 AM until 2 AM - not to mention the ability to handle breaking news with a better staffed newsroom.

I do listen to AM 640 now. If they went all business, I'd be gone for good. 

April 29, 2016 5:53 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

Don't get me wrong. I'd hate to see AM 640 disappear into a boring business format. 

Done right, a business driven news wheel is far from boring. Remember when some people thought all news would be boring? 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 29, 2016 6:35 pm  #6

Radiowiz wrote:

Done right, a business driven news wheel is far from boring. Remember when some people thought all news would be boring? 

It isn't?  ALL ANYTHING is boring.

April 29, 2016 8:39 pm  #7

Radiowiz wrote:

Remember when some people thought all news would be boring? 

Those were the people who didn't understand that you're not meant to listen for more than 15 minutes at a time, and that it was all about CUME. 

All-business isn't broad enough to drive CUME, and not deep enough to drive TSL. So it sits in the ratings basement.