sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 7, 2020 10:52 am  #1

Boom & Stingray To Play Nothing But John Lennon & Beatles On Dec. 8

For fans of John Lennon, it's a Double Fantasy. Classic rock formatted Stingray stations across Canada will play nothing but Lennon and the Beatles all day on Dec. 8th, to mark the 40th anniversary of the night the music icon was killed in New York City. 

The special programming starts at 6 AM on each station. According to the company's Steve Jones:

"The music will be interspersed with retrospective vignettes about his life, music, impact, and influence. Through stories and recollections from legendary stars and ordinary Canadians, these Stingray stations, beginning at 6a local time will explore how the global legacy of John Lennon lives on, 40 years after his death."

Stingray Radio Presents 'Imagine: A Day for the Life'

December 7, 2020 12:50 pm  #2

Re: Boom & Stingray To Play Nothing But John Lennon & Beatles On Dec. 8

December 7, 2020 2:01 pm  #3

Anyone know if enough covers were recorded by these guys to meet the 30% law?
 - Bruce Cockburn
 - the Sparrows
 - Lighthouse 
 - Mother Tucker's Yellow Duck
 - the Paupers
 - Ritchie Knight & the Midnights
 - David Clayton Thomas & the fabulous Shays
 - Ugly Ducklings

- partial list, additions hereto welcomed

P.S. - add the late Kenny Hollis & Copperpenny.   How could I overlook them?  

Last edited by geo (December 7, 2020 3:16 pm)

December 7, 2020 3:23 pm  #4

geo wrote:

Anyone know if enough covers were recorded by these guys to meet the 30% law?
 - Bruce Cockburn
 - the Sparrows
 - Lighthouse 
 - Mother Tucker's Yellow Duck
 - the Paupers
 - Ritchie Knight & the Midnights
 - David Clayton Thomas & the fabulous Shays
 - Ugly Ducklings

- partial list, additions hereto welcomed

P.S. - add the late Kenny Hollis & Copperpenny.   How could I overlook them?  

Sarah McLachlan - Blackbird.

That's all I've got.

But, it looks like they're running close to 50% Cancon today, so they won't need any of these. (Thankfully)

December 7, 2020 3:30 pm  #5

We won't be playing any covers.We make up for it the rest of the week. 

December 7, 2020 6:46 pm  #6

Thanks for the heads up, RA.

I'll be listening.

December 8, 2020 11:35 am  #7

Just tuned in.  Awesome so far.  Im making an actual list of the songs so I can organize a nice Beatles Lennon playlist for myself. 

December 8, 2020 11:53 am  #8

I have to say I admire Boom's program minds. They seems to always come up with something original or interesting and they definitely seem to be in sync with their target audience. It shows in their on air sound and some of their concepts, and though I'm not much of a music listener anymore, I do appreciate when a station sets a format and then really executes it well. It shows in the ratings that they're doing just that. 

December 8, 2020 11:58 am  #9

If I hadn't been listening this morning, I would have missed this Canadian Connection...

https://www.ualberta.ca/folio/2018/12/was-john-lennons-imagine-inspired-by-an-alberta-cree-grandmother.html

December 8, 2020 12:25 pm  #10

RadioActive wrote:

I have to say I admire Boom's program minds. They seems to always come up with something original or interesting and they definitely seem to be in sync with their target audience. It shows in their on air sound and some of their concepts, and though I'm not much of a music listener anymore, I do appreciate when a station sets a format and then really executes it well. It shows in the ratings that they're doing just that. 

Thank you, we have a pretty damn good team here!

December 8, 2020 1:58 pm  #11

boom boy wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Thank you, we have a pretty damn good team here!

Its one of Toronto's best stations.  A true music lover's format and presentation of music.

December 8, 2020 9:43 pm  #12

Well, there there goes their cancon commitment for the day.

In my opinion Lennon and the Beatles were and still are overrated.

December 9, 2020 12:20 pm  #13

RadioActive wrote:

Another example: In July 2019, they commemorated the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing(which was on a Saturday night that year)with playing Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon starting at 10pm. That came off INCREDIBLY well, timing the music to audio of the approach to the moon, the landing etc.

December 9, 2020 1:00 pm  #14

darcyh wrote:

Only because Paul died in that car accident in 1967 and was replaced by, obviously, a much less talented look-alike. No wonder they broke up. Who wouldn't after that?

Last edited by Dial Twister (December 9, 2020 1:01 pm)

December 9, 2020 1:49 pm  #15

darcyh wrote:

Well, there there goes their cancon commitment for the day.

They have seem to become a "brand" almost these days in music.  I was in H&M the other day and they now have "The Beatles" in their typical font on sweaters you can buy.  One thing I can say is their music was very well recorded.  I do like listening to songs where a vocal is singing on one channel and an instrument on another (plays with your mind on a good speaker system) 

December 9, 2020 2:06 pm  #16

I've always been more than a bit jealous that my older sister went to see them when they came to Maple Leaf Gardens in the 60s. I say "see them," because even all these years later, she admits, nobody was able to hear them with all the screaming. Not sure if it was their first or second appearance, but I think it might have been the latter. Tickets were about $5 each!

As for who hosted that first ever show, the answer is both Toronto rock stations!

From 1964: