sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 3, 2020 11:58 am  #31

Re: Supriya Dwivedi Makes Tearful Farewell To GNR640 After Online Threats

geo wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

If newspapers and broadcasters in other smaller cities can do it so can Toronto which is one of the largest media production centres in North America. 

Toronto has four (4) dailies, all seeking material that will grab subscriber's attention or sell more individual copies at Mac's Milk.   

Mac's Milk, RIP...  http://www.macs.ca/

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 3, 2020 12:18 pm  #32

The Vice story has now spread to the U.S. If this becomes a cause celebre, which is certainly possible these days, Corus is going to have to come out with more than Howard Levitt's statements, which don't seem very sympathetic to her allegations. If it spreads, it could be an even bigger P.R. disaster for 640 than it already is. 

All Access: Supriya Dwivedi Exits CFMJ (Global News Radio 640)/Toronto, Files Complaint Alleging Company Failed To Enforce Standards Against Misinformation

December 3, 2020 5:24 pm  #33

RadioActive wrote:

I agree with paterson1 about radio coverage in the local papers. (In fact, they've vastly cut back on local TV stories as well.) The Star recently fired almost all of their entertainment reporters, and boy, does it show, especially in their increasingly shrinking Saturday edition. Their coverage of radio disappeared years ago and it takes something incredible to bring it back into print. 

Charlie is also right - I'm pretty sure this very worthy story only makes the cut because it's filled with politically correct symbolism. But if it were a regular story about a prominent radio employee being fired for some other reason, it likely would never have seen the light of day. And it took Vice to issue it first.

The Star used to have Greg Quill covering radio every week. But even then, 99.9% of his columns were about the CBC, as though private radio never generated any real news of its own. The last real radio stories I recall in Canada’s biggest newspaper before the Dwivedi issue was Mike Wilner being let go and Roger Ashby retiring after half a century at CHUM. Other than that, there hasn’t been much. (But paterson1, I suspect Global wouldn't touch this story with an 80' pole!)

It's not that way everywhere, even with the strangled state of newspapers these days. Try Google News for "British radio" and dozens of stories come up, with new ones added daily. They cover everything that happens right down to what some "presenters," as they're called over there, are wearing on their way to work. If anything, they go overboard on this tabloid stuff. But at least when something happens, you know you can read all about it in the British press. You can’t say that in mainstream publications here. And that’s a shame.

SOWNY carries a lot of fluff sometimes, but when there’s a big radio story, someone usually posts it. I recall typing up this very thread even as Supriya was delivering her stunning farewell speech. (It was posted at 8:58 AM, before she was even officially off the air.)

Others posted rapid tales of the latest Rogers cuts and the Wilner firing. While some papers had a few of those stories, many were simply Canadian Press reprints without a lot of detail.

I’m not trying to blow this site’s horn. What I’m trying to say is that there are a ton stories that are worthy of print if only they had the desire or the reporters to cover them. They don’t. And they – and we – all lose as a result of those cutbacks.

i remember when media (tv news) would include some of the posts/comments  from the big yellow board, within their own stories.

December 3, 2020 7:11 pm  #34

Will the PR hacks that swarm 640's talk panels disclaim any professional involvement with current ongoing crisis management Corus may be engaging in? Just curious.

December 3, 2020 8:03 pm  #35

It isn't just the Star who no longer covers local media. But at least they have given this story some coverage.  The Sun used to be the best with regular stories on radio, local television, and ratings. 

I actually didn't like Greg Quill in the Star since he came across like someone who didn't know much about radio, especially private radio.  And his articles as RA mentioned focused too much on CBC, so maybe he didn't listen to or like commercial radio.  However the Star and Sun for years did publish the ratings with background information which was great. But even then I always found their coverage lacking especially on local television other than the odd article in their TV magazines. 

Toronto is a big media town but you would never know it judging by our local coverage in the paper, TV or radio.   And to me programs like eTalk and ET Canada are fine but don't really talk much about local Toronto media at all since they are national programs.

If this story about Supriya Dwivedi does get more exposure Global and AM 640 will soon have no choice.  Remember when everyone jumped on the Jian Ghomeshi situation years ago?

CBC was front and centre with coverage right at the start which was the right thing to do.  Now, that was a story that everyone covered at length.

Unfortunately in many cases it morphed into another excuse to bash CBC on some talk shows and in Sun/Post media.  Don't know how many times I heard some of the hosts on Newstalk 1010 and AM 640 get away from the real story and just rant on about what a waste CBC was and how nobody likes or listens to them anyway.  Very self serving and not the actual story, but since it was CBC an easy target.. 

December 3, 2020 8:31 pm  #36

paterson1 wrote:

...Don't know how many times I heard some of the hosts on Newstalk 1010 and AM 640 get away from the real story and just rant on about what a waste CBC was and how nobody likes or listens to them anyway.  Very self serving and not the actual story, but since it was CBC an easy target.. 

If anything, it's nothing new. The animosity has been there for decades; and for all the CBC's faults (there are many) this hatred is mostly unfounded.

December 4, 2020 12:07 pm  #37

Supriya is on live with Ryan Jespersen now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0NjMDj1EdQ

December 4, 2020 1:23 pm  #38

ED1 wrote:

Supriya is on live with Ryan Jespersen now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0NjMDj1EdQ

Great interview with Supriya and they covered her leaving 640 and the disturbing circumstances honestly, but also  didn't dwell too much on it and make it the whole program.   They covered a lot of topics which was interesting.  He sounded like he really wanted her to be a regular guest on his show.

Ryan Jespersen is someone that I would listen to, like his style.  Wonder why CHED in Edmonton let him go end of September?  He did mornings for them for six years.  He is pretty funny too, seemed quite critical of Jason Kenny and the Alberta government and their handling of COVID so far.     

Nice on a podcast that the host and guest can talk like they really do off air dropping the odd f-bomb when appropriate., This is a show I am going to check out in the future.

December 4, 2020 2:16 pm  #39

Charlie wrote:

If Corus had any idea this storm of Human Rights complaints and negative media was coming, I'm surprised they even let her make her 'tearful goodbye' on air.

They actually addressed this during her appearance. Admittedly, it is unusual for someone who resigns with a complaint against the station to be allowed to stay on air. Her explanation?

“It meant, OK, I guess you trust that I won’t say anything about this, which I didn’t because I wanted to remain professional and I didn’t want to make things awkward for the technical producer that was there and my co-host Greg Brady... It was a little bit surprising but I guess they knew I would keep up my portion of the bargain." 

She also said that in addition to online threats against her, her husband and even her infant daughter, they also threatened her dog, warning her against leaving it tied up somewhere. 

As for her contention that the station didn't stand behind her when she tried to correct what she saw as right wing spin and misinformation?

“Some things said on talk radio are demonstrably false,” she stated.  “It’s kind of insulting from my perspective for Corus to suggest that I’m just some snowflake Millennial who needs a safe space and that I can’t handle views that are opposing to mine, because that’s simply not the case.

"I’m also not like a talk radio newb[ie], I was at CJAD in Montreal from 2011 to like 2014-ish, and so I don’t need someone to be mansplaining talk radio to me, I understand it quite well and I understand that there’s a way to do it where everything is backed up by facts.”

As for her tear-filled final on-air farewell statement?

“I wish I had written something down, I wish I had prepared something. I wanted to speak from the heart, so I did. I feel real fucking dumb because I choked up on air and I started to cry. And I’m not really a crier.”

Needless to say, host Ryan Jespersen sided with her on much of this, noting he has action against Corus pending for his own dismissal as well.

December 4, 2020 5:20 pm  #40

December 7, 2020 12:00 am  #41

RadioAaron wrote:

Supriya: I'm getting rape and death threats against my family.

Corus lawyer: You knew you were woking at a station with a conservative audience.

That's like telling someone who's had to deal with a sexual assault that they were asking for it.

Utterly tasteless and classless.

Remind me not to listen to GNR640 whenever I get to Toronto next.