sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 25, 2016 11:59 am  #1

CRTC Figures Say Avg. T.O. Radio Salaries Are Over $76K

What they don't indicate, of course, is just what all those jobs are. The producer turning out spots in the back studio at 7 o'clock at night is going to make a lot less than the AM morning show host. Anyway, for what it's worth, here are the average figures for 2015, without and without benefits included. (Scroll down to the "Staff" category at the bottom of each page.)  

Commercial Radio Financial Figures - Toronto

Commercial Radio Financial Figures - Hamilton

Commercial Radio Financial Figures- Kitchener/Waterloo

Commercial Radio Financial Figures - Windsor/Oshawa

Other markets

Last edited by RadioActive (April 25, 2016 12:02 pm)

April 25, 2016 6:13 pm  #2

Re: CRTC Figures Say Avg. T.O. Radio Salaries Are Over $76K

I wish this was broken down for on air people only. I doubt on air people in the markets around the GTA are making 65,000, more like 35,000 for middays etc. 

April 25, 2016 6:59 pm  #3

rawkgurl wrote:

I wish this was broken down for on air people only. I doubt on air people in the markets around the GTA are making 65,000, more like 35,000 for middays etc. 

Perhaps, if you're isolating it to just the actual on air work, but higher pay might be merged into the payycheck through jobs in promotions etc (ie in house voice work for radio ads, or some other work...)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 25, 2016 7:04 pm  #4

I'm kind of curious about the Oshawa/Windsor pairing. The cities sure have a lot in common, but they're by no means a "market."

However, having managed for the big companies and an indie, in bigger and smaller markets, salaries are all over the place, even within the same market. Still some very good livings to be made, and not just by morning hosts.

April 25, 2016 9:39 pm  #5

That's a VERY livable wage in some places.  In Toronto?  Not so much.  Man!!!  These companies, collectively, are CHEAP.

No wonder they're suffering if that's all they're willing to pay.  Oh well.  Fewer and fewer care.  [or listen]  Bean counters!!!  They saved us so much money we went belly up.