sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 19, 2016 11:09 pm  #1

N.H.L. Playoff Television Ratings -- The Drizzlin' Shits....

Down 61  per cent from last year....

Only one in sixty-nine Canadians is bothering to tune in....

Last edited by unclefester (April 19, 2016 11:16 pm)

April 19, 2016 11:12 pm  #2

Re: N.H.L. Playoff Television Ratings -- The Drizzlin' Shits....

unclefester wrote:

Down 61  per cent from last year....
Only one in sixty-nine Canadians is bothering to tune in....

Well, what were the ratings like the last time there were no Canadian teams in the playoffs? 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 19, 2016 11:23 pm  #3

When was that?  1968?

I'm not watching.  I'm not investing my time or emotions on American cities.  And I'm also just saying NO to the Donald as well.

Bettman...kiss my hair infested bottom.  You ARE the man who ruined hockey.

April 19, 2016 11:25 pm  #4

What I want to know is.....what  are all you old bastards doing up this late ??

April 19, 2016 11:52 pm  #5

unclefester wrote:

What I want to know is.....what  are all you old bastards doing up this late ???

I'm only (early) 40 something myself... 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 20, 2016 8:53 am  #6

unclefester wrote:

What I want to know is.....what  are all you old bastards doing up this late ??

Sorry it took so long to respond...I went to bed at 10:24
[Oh to be 40 something again... ... ...]

April 20, 2016 10:14 am  #7

Not having Canadian teams hurts but you can attribute much of this to the horrid job Rogers Sportsnet has done with its pre and post game package as well as its choices of intermission hosts, panelists, play by play callers and colour analysts...they clearly got it all wrong with their "talent" pool....no chemistry, trying too hard, making lame stuff up, being edgy for edgy sake, dumb comedic bits when none are needed....it's painful to watch these guys trying to reinvent the wheel when it was just fine as it was...TSN is clearly better at the overall product, hosts, panelists and production.

April 20, 2016 11:15 am  #8

At the very least somebody should TELL George to purchase a suit that fits.  He looks like a blinkin' clown in those proctologist glove-like pants and jackets.

He'll look back at pictures from this era years from now and ask himself WTF was I thinking?  Fashion is for girls.  Rogers bought themselves doom and gloom.  Greed'll do that to ya.

April 22, 2016 6:55 am  #9

Johnny B wrote:

Not having Canadian teams hurts but you can attribute much of this to the horrid job Rogers Sportsnet has done with its pre and post game package as well as its choices of intermission hosts, panelists, play by play callers and colour analysts...they clearly got it all wrong with their "talent" pool....no chemistry, trying too hard, making lame stuff up, being edgy for edgy sake, dumb comedic bits when none are needed....it's painful to watch these guys trying to reinvent the wheel when it was just fine as it was...TSN is clearly better at the overall product, hosts, panelists and production.

I don't think TSN was doing anything exciting either. The same red studio... Duthie (who is excellent), former player, Bob MacKenzie for every single game. Zzzz. The fact is we watch for the GAME. When none of the Canadian teams are contending after Christmas no one will watch. If all of the Canadian teams were in the playoffs right now, coupled with the ho hum performance of the Jays, Rogers would be breaking ratings records with hockey right now. Strombo isn't good but if the Leafs are winning, I'm watching.

April 22, 2016 8:59 am  #10

Agreed.

If every Canadian team were in the dance the ratings would certainly reflect that...and the Leafs are the drivers...add the hangover effect the Blue Jays have (Rogers gets 100% of this TV audience by the way) and the Raptors looking good in the playoffs and Rogers has the perfect storm.

We all know at some point during their 12 year $5.2B deal (which isn't looking profitable at all despite the fact 10 years remains on it) they will get a playoffs where Montreal and Toronto are in it....they might even meet in a playoff round which would mean a 6 or 7 million TV audience on a Saturday night.....BUT

Rogers overall ratings for NHL (including Hockey Night in Canada on CBC) are down anywhere from 20 to 30% (depending on the source) over the course of the 2 years thus far and that includes the 2014/2015 season when the Leafs were good up until February 2015 and the Canadiens were battling for first place overall....and advertisers are now giving them heat asking for free  'make goods' and moving their spots to other properties (Blue Jays games).

What Rogers has done is emulated American style NFL broadcasts by introducing over the top commentary and bombast for the sake of it...there is little chemistry amongst it's stable of 'talent' along with half-assed production value...it is true we watch for the game but having to sit through these guys all year turns people off...it's not just a matter of opinion anymore the numbers don't lie.

April 24, 2016 4:07 pm  #11

Ignoring H.N.I.C. numbers for a moment, Blue Jays are averaging 39,000 live bodies per local game.   Leafs are limited by arena size to half that, playoffs or no playoffs.   Which is better for the local economy taking into consideration everything from Front Street hot dog sales to beer gallonage at the Loose Moose and Gretzky's + souvenir caps, t-shirts and "we're number one" mitts?

Excellent crowd at yesterday afternoon's soccer match as well

Last edited by geo (April 24, 2016 4:46 pm)

April 24, 2016 6:39 pm  #12

If only Ol' Harold had kept his fingers to himself. The Leafs could have contended.