sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 20, 2020 11:29 am  #1

How Will A Biden Presidency Affect American Broadcasting?

This won't be of interest to everyone here, but I found it interesting - what does a Joe Biden presidency mean for the FCC and in turn, American broadcasting? According to this admittedly speculative article, there could be wide-ranging changes to programming on streaming services (although how that might affect those channels coming into Canada remains to be seen.) 

And then there's the possible issue of climate change. What does the American broadcast regulator have to do with climate change? Good question. But the author warns don't be surprised if an activist administration tries to force that admittedly important issue into every aspect of American life, even if it doesn't necessarily have any jurisdiction there.  

How Joe Biden May Reshape the FCC

November 20, 2020 12:52 pm  #2

Re: How Will A Biden Presidency Affect American Broadcasting?

Net Neutrality would be good. So would a reiteration of the Fairness Doctrine. I doubt either would realised though - the country's too broken.

November 24, 2020 1:43 am  #3

Re: How Will A Biden Presidency Affect American Broadcasting?

I'm torn on net neutrality.  It sounds fair but in practice it might be a pain in the ass.  Suppose your internet provider had to treat Netflix traffic with the same priority as the hundreds of thousands of kids live streaming themselves playing video games.