sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 15, 2020 9:04 pm  #1

Stingray abandoning CHR

Stingray CHR properties in Calgary, St. John's and Sudbury have all transitioned to Hot AC in the last few weeks... I can't see it happening to the flagship Ottawa station, but in this advertising climate, who knows?!?

November 15, 2020 11:39 pm  #2

Re: Stingray abandoning CHR

"Abandoning" is a pretty strong term for a change at a ratings-troubled station in Calgary and a couple small markets.

But yeah, not happening in Ottawa where they're #1 and HotAC is tough to do with non-hit.

November 16, 2020 12:21 am  #3

3/4 of their CHRs in the top 25 markets is a "strong" statement.

KOOL FM did Hot AC pretty successfully for over a decade with non-hits. But I agree, not likely gonna happen with HOT.

November 16, 2020 12:27 am  #4

RadioAaron wrote:

not happening in Ottawa where they're #1 and HotAC is tough to do with non-hit.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Jump FM yet. They're the ones that would most likely flip first.

The ultimate question is, are there any issues with the age of the listener. 
Sometimes a CHR flips to something else because they believe their main audience to be "too young".

It happened in London Ontario back in the day with Energy radio.   

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 17, 2020 12:33 am  #5

RadioAaron wrote:

"not happening in Ottawa where they're #1 and HotAC is tough to do with non-hit.

I don't think the HOT 89.9 format is going anywhere anytime soon. There's enough AC, Hot AC in Ottawa and the surrounding areas! As for Jump 106.9, who knows what the future will be for that station.

November 17, 2020 12:40 am  #6

I used to live in Sudbury where CHR/Top 40 came and went over the years. I was surprised to hear that Hot 93.5 had transitioned from CHR/Top 40 to HOT AC without rebranding their station while there's already a Hot AC'ish station in Sudbury as Roger's-owned KiSS 105.3 which plays current with some music going back to the 90's or possibly longer. Stingray Sudbury's other station Rewind 103.9 is a classic hits format that plays a mix of songs from the 1960's to the 90's so I wonder what the future will be for one of these radio stations!

November 17, 2020 1:51 pm  #7

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

not happening in Ottawa where they're #1 and HotAC is tough to do with non-hit.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Jump FM yet. They're the ones that would most likely flip first.

The ultimate question is, are there any issues with the age of the listener. 
Sometimes a CHR flips to something else because they believe their main audience to be "too young".

It happened in London Ontario back in the day with Energy radio.   

Short term thinking really.   Today's CHR listener is much older, and it's presented differently than years past.   Same goes for HOT AC.    The CHR listener tends to be 18 to 40 female, where HOT AC tends to hit the 25 to 54 female.  Loads of cross over between the 2 and can technically be branded the same as both play all hits, one just plays more recurrents, and less repetition, which could be the logic to keep them listening longer to push that share point up.  

November 17, 2020 9:30 pm  #8

Sunny wrote:

KOOL FM did Hot AC pretty successfully for over a decade with non-hits. But I agree, not likely gonna happen with HOT.

Until they had CHR competition. And when local FM radio had a pretty captive audience. There are airchecks of KOOL's non-hit stacked hours out here....the music was atrocious. 

November 17, 2020 11:29 pm  #9

RadioAaron wrote:

Sunny wrote:

Until they had CHR competition. And when local FM radio had a pretty captive audience. There are airchecks of KOOL's non-hit stacked hours out here....the music was atrocious. 

The two stations overlapped by barely three months and Hot was a rhythmic CHR when it launched.  Kool's flip was caused by sales goals not ratings.