sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 10, 2020 6:06 pm  #1

NBC Picks Up Another Canadian Show

NBC certainly seems to like Canadian medical shows. First it was Transplant. Now it's Nurses, which the network plans to preview in December and then show on Tuesdays in January. 

The fomer airs on CTV, while the latter got its national exposure here on Global.

The real test will be after the COVID crisis passes and whether they still continue to import these shows or not. 

NBC Acquires Canadian Medical Drama Nurses

November 11, 2020 9:40 am  #2

Re: NBC Picks Up Another Canadian Show

Transplant has been performing reasonably well in the US and has received generally good reviews. Since CTV has greenlit another season, it will be interesting to see if NBC picks up season two at some point next year. I read in Variety that Transplant does very well with recorded viewership after the network airing. 

Not surprised that Nurses has been sold, but it is different that NBC is the network to buy the show, and schedule it in the same timeslot and night as Transplant.  When the CTV program wraps up in December, Nurses  will immediately fill that time for 10 weeks.

The CW is now running season two of Coroner, and have picked up season 3 of the CBC drama again for the next season. The CW, which is owned by CBS, will continue with CBC's Burden of Truth on the schedule for 2021.  The network also will be running the new CBC drama Trickster in the new year.

Five Canadian scripted dramas that take place here and running on network TV and streaming south of the border. Watch for Global's new mini series Departure be the next homegrown show to be picked up!

November 11, 2020 11:00 am  #3

I believe Departure is part of CBS All Access, which makes it less likely it could turn up on the network. Still, they've farmed out various seasons of Star Trek and The Good Fight to their over-the-air operation, so if there are holes to fill in the schedule or in the summer, anything's possible. 

November 13, 2020 6:41 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

I believe Departure is part of CBS All Access, which makes it less likely it could turn up on the network. Still, they've farmed out various seasons of Star Trek and The Good Fight to their over-the-air operation, so if there are holes to fill in the schedule or in the summer, anything's possible. 

Apparently it is NBC Peacock that is running Departure. So NBC would be the network that could run the mini series at some point.  Global and Universal UK renewed a second season which began filming in late September. 

February 25, 2021 2:32 pm  #5

One episode of "Nurses" has now been removed from both the Global and NBC websites, likely never to be seen again. It sparked a controversy about anti-Semitism, and as is usual in social media, the reaction was swift and loud. I don't blame the Jewish groups that complained about the depiction. It mostly certainly was not accurate about their credo which, as I understand it, essentially throws all religious edicts or concerns out the window when it comes to saving a life or a limb. 

What fascinates me, though, is that this episode aired a year ago on Global in Canada - and no one said anything!

NBC Pulls Nurses Episode From Digital Platforms Amid Controversy Over 'Pernicious' Orthodox Jewish Storyline   

February 25, 2021 4:42 pm  #6

And this past Tuesday was the season finale on NBC. Not the greatest way to leave.  However it is odd that this show also didn't raise any red flags with NBC or network censors prior to airing.  I am sure every episode of Nurses was viewed and reviewed by many within the network before actually going to air.  Especially since it wasn't their series and NBC would have had no input in content or the script. 

Doubtful that Nurses will be returning to NBC for season two since ratings overall were poor to only average.  I agree that it was interesting that nothing was said or no reaction when Global aired the show a year ago.  Nurses was more popular here than in the US and even visited the Numeris Top 30 weekly shows from time to time.