sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 8, 2020 10:37 am  #1

Toronto Station Gets Extension For 1490 AM Repeater Sign On Date

From Canadian Radio News:

CHTO, the all Greek station at 1690 AM, was granted a repeater for Mississauga on 1490 a few years ago. But like so many stations these days, a combination of problems has prevented them from getting it up and running, and now they've received permission from the CRTC to delay the start date until September 2021. 

1490 is a terrible frequency that goes nowhere. (I remember a long time ago when CKCR/CHYM-AM was there in Kitchener.) If anything, this one is going to be even weaker. Its power at start-up (whenever that is) will be just 23 watts daytime and 770 watts night. It's one of the few times I can ever remember a station getting permission to increase its wattage after dark. But given both those outputs, I doubt those in Mississauga will be able to really hear it very well no matter when they're listening.   

November 8, 2020 9:08 pm  #2

Re: Toronto Station Gets Extension For 1490 AM Repeater Sign On Date

An AM repeater for an AM station? That's the first time I've ever heard of that. I wonder what type of hoops they had to jump through to get that?

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

November 8, 2020 9:18 pm  #3

Paul Jeffries wrote:

An AM repeater for an AM station? That's the first time I've ever heard of that. I wonder what type of hoops they had to jump through to get that?
PJ

How is the signal in Toronto's Greek Town?
That's where they need to focus their energy, otherwise why do they need a second AM signal?

Toronto Greek Population: (Including Greek Town)  57,420
Mississauga's Greek Population:  7,490

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_Canadians_in_the_Greater_Toronto_Area

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 8, 2020 10:05 pm  #4

In their original application to the CRTC, which dates all the way back to 2015, they explained their request this way:

"The licensee indicated that its proposed transmitter would improve night-time coverage in the west end of Toronto, specifically in Brampton, Etobicoke and Mississauga. The licensee also submitted that the station's coverage has been inadequate in the west end of Toronto since 2009 and that several previous attempts to remedy the problem have proven unsuccessful."

CRTC CHTO Decision

November 8, 2020 10:06 pm  #5

Paul Jeffries wrote:

PJ

I think back in the day there were a few AM stations that had repeaters.  CFOS 560 Owen Sound had CFPS in Port Elgin, oddly enough at 1490.  CFPS signed on in June 1978 and was a repeater for CFOS for decades.  CFPS did have offices and a few news reporters to cover the Huron coast.

Now the station is known as the Beach at 97.9 and has been more or less a stand alone station since 2005.  CFPS will have a repeater FM satellite in Tobermory later this year, branding themselves as The Wave.

November 8, 2020 10:12 pm  #6

Radiowiz wrote:

Paul Jeffries wrote:

PJ

How is the signal in Toronto's Greek Town?
That's where they need to focus their energy, otherwise why do they need a second AM signal?

Toronto Greek Population: (Including Greek Town)  57,420
Mississauga's Greek Population:  7,490

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_Canadians_in_the_Greater_Toronto_Area

Good point. I wonder if their plan is to add more non-Greek programming.

November 8, 2020 10:18 pm  #7

paterson1 wrote:

Paul Jeffries wrote:

PJ

I think back in the day there were a few AM stations that had repeaters.  CFOS 560 Owen Sound had CFPS in Port Elgin, oddly enough at 1490.  CFPS signed on in June 1978 and was a repeater for CFOS for decades.  CFPS did have offices and a few news reporters to cover the Huron coast.

Now the station is known as the Beach at 97.9 and has been more or less a stand alone station since 2005.  CFPS will have a repeater FM satellite in Tobermory later this year, branding themselves as The Wave.

And let's not forget CKBB 950 AM Barrie and CKCB 1400 AM in Collingwood. I remember before the station(s) switched to FM what a mouthful it was having to say the two sets of call letters every time they ID'd themselves on air.

November 9, 2020 6:05 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Paul Jeffries wrote:

PJ

And let's not forget CKBB 950 AM Barrie and CKCB 1400 AM in Collingwood. I remember before the station(s) switched to FM what a mouthful it was having to say the two sets of call letters every time they ID'd themselves on air.

I think CKCB also had some periods where it provided local content separate from CKBB.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdqZXmO1eGU

November 9, 2020 10:38 pm  #9

paterson1 wrote:

CFOS 560 Owen Sound had CFPS in Port Elgin, oddly enough at 1490.  CFPS signed on in June 1978 and was a repeater for CFOS for decades.  CFPS did have offices and a few news reporters to cover the Huron coast.

I knew I had this hanging around somewhere, for whatever it's worth:

November 10, 2020 9:48 am  #10

That was the CFOS/CFPS sticker for your vehicle.  In the summer the station cruiser was all over Grey and Bruce county giving out prizes if they spotted a car or truck with the "car sign."  Great summer job for a couple of students hanging out at the beaches of Sauble, Port Elgin, and Southampton giving prizes to listeners. Thanks RA. not many of those around anymore!

November 12, 2020 3:47 pm  #11

paterson1 wrote:

Paul Jeffries wrote:

PJ

I do know that there was an attempt of CFOS in Owen Sound wanting to add an AM repeater at 1610 kHz in Collingwood and at some point CFOS wanted to add an FM repeater at 96.1 MHz in Owen Sound. Both of these applications were denied by the CRTC.

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/1995/db95-84.htm (See: Public Notice CRTC 1994-129 dated 19 October 1994)
https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2008/db2008-25.htm

Last edited by Scorpio42 (November 12, 2020 3:51 pm)

November 12, 2020 4:06 pm  #12

Does anyone remember CKNR 1340 Elliot Lake, Ontario? They also had repeaters in Blind River (CJNR 730 kHz) and Espanola (CKNS 930 kHz). CKNR and it's two repeaters all combined into one station in the late 1990's and moved to 94.1 FM. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CKNR-FM (also includes articles for CKNS and CJNR)

CHVR (formerly CHRO and CHOV) on 1350 kHz in Pembroke did the similar thing of having two AM repeaters in Renfrew (1400 kHz) and Arnprior (1490 kHz). CHVR and it repeaters moved to 96.7 FM. I remember 1490 Arnprior being a horrible dull sounding signal even right in town! CHVR-FM main Wikipedia article: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHVR-FM

Last edited by Scorpio42 (November 12, 2020 4:08 pm)